Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What make the Steelers so good?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

What make the Steelers so good?

I was asked this question recently. My retort,

We've got a QB who has thrown 24 TD'a and only 4 INTs, completing 66.8% of his passes. He's also the king of 4th quarter comebacks when needed.

Our defense has produced 17 turnovers. +9 on turnovers overall.

We win the time of possession, 32.4 minutes to 27.8 minutes

No key injuries, outside of Bush who has been replaced with no drop.

Our kicker is money in the bank. We've got a pro bowl level return guy, and the kick coverage has been solid.

This is very complete football team. 10-0 here we come.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: What make the Steelers so good?

This team is just finding ways to win. They need to get better before the playoffs in the run and stopping the run.

Ben is having an all pro year. All the receiving options are just popping open.

Bud and Watt are bringing the heat, back seven taking care of thier business most of the time.

Bush with no drop, I gotta disagree

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Good points except the Bush/ no drop comment.

I’d also add Mike Tomlin to that list.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

There is a drop with Bush gone but it’s not nearly what “it should be”. Spillane is playing EXTREMELY well.

This team is finding ways to win...it’s a good thing because that’s what good teams do. However, this team could also have 2-3 losses at this stage as well if things didn’t go their way. But take that Titans game for example...NOTHING was bouncing their way and they found a way to win. Again, it’s what good teams do. Average teams may have lost the Titans game, Cowboys game, etc.

What’s happening right now...it’s got the makings to be something very special. If they come out of Jacksonville with a commanding victory, I think that will give them a good amount of confidence that everything is going their way in 2020...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This team is supremely talented. Offensively, they are led by one of the best QBs in the game and defensively, they are lead by one of the best defensive players in the game playing at OLB

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

It’s all Ben. If Ben is injured and Rudolph has to play - we look like last years team. Good defense or not we would not be good without Ben

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

One of the most overlooked things - Locker room harmony. Look at our roster, we don't have a single superstar with a huge ego. We have a lot of players who want to win, and value winning over accumulating stats.

[QUOTE=86WARD;748612]There is a drop with Bush gone but it’s not nearly what “it should be”. Spillane is playing EXTREMELY well.

This team is finding ways to win...it’s a good thing because that’s what good teams do. However, this team could also have 2-3 losses at this stage as well if things didn’t go their way. But take that Titans game for example...NOTHING was bouncing their way and they found a way to win. Again, it’s what good teams do. Average teams may have lost the Titans game, Cowboys game, etc.

What’s happening right now...it’s got the makings to be something very special. If they come out of Jacksonville with a commanding victory, I think that will give them a good amount of confidence that everything is going their way in 2020...[/QUOTE

Bush had an amazing start as a rookie as has leveled off since. This year he was targeted in coverage. Prior to this injury, he was probably the 6th most valuable player on a defense that starts 11. Spilane is starting material too.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

You forgot to mention, great head coach!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    One of the most overlooked things - Locker room harmony. Look at our roster, we don't have a single superstar with a huge ego. We have a lot of players who want to win, and value winning over accumulating stats.
    100% agree!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben.

Ben is the catalyst. His resurrection this season is nothing short of storybook. Not only has he recovered from a seemingly devastating elbow injury, he has shown that he has improved tremendously both as a quarterback and leader on the field. He's playing complimentary football. The rest of the team has responded and rallied behind his change.

It also helps that he doesn't have a diva in his ear anymore and is forcing balls in coverage to him. Thus minimizing the gunslinger tendencies and turnovers.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Agreed.

These guys are playing for one another.

Ben says he came back to get a ring for the older guys like Cam and Maurkice.

Ebron says the team is close and hangs out together.

Alualu said they are having fun.

Juju dances when his teammates succeed (That's what it's all about right, Teegre? )

The support that Mickey Spillane got was unanimous.

The secondary has a real leader in Joe Haden, not someone who celebrates tackles after the opposing RB gains 20 yards.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Now imagine we still have Hilton and Bush.

All that said, we need to beat KC. The are like the 1980 USSR hockey team (even wear Red). They are looming out there and until we face them we will just never know if we are that good. And the way the schedule is it can only be in the playoffs. Let's hope if/when it happens it's in Pittsburgh not KC (although this year is a little different with the limited to no crowds).

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    It’s all Ben. If Ben is injured and Rudolph has to play - we look like last years team. Good defense or not we would not be good without Ben
    This, we’re a .500 without Ben. Yes, we might still be pretty good with a decent replacement QB but we don’t have one of those. We would be a playing Rudolph or Dobss: two inexperienced backups.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

You could say this about almost any team. If you took Mahomes off KC they are a 8-9 win team max.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    You could say this about almost any team. If you took Mahomes off KC they are a 8-9 win team max.
    Let’s see them prove it!!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    KC would be worse than that, he IS their team. They don't have a defense so they'd be screwed if Mahomes went down.

Then again, Reid is a good coach so who knows. But i don't see them better than 8-8

I think KC woud still be a winning team without Mahomes. Their back up is better than ours, and so is their coach. It's all Ben this year. When he has the ball in his hands, I know we will come back to win.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I think KC woud still be a winning team without Mahomes. Their back up is better than ours, and so is their coach.
    If you say so.

Never-minding, of course, despite finally breaking through and winning a SB last year (mainly because of Mahomes), Andy Reid is still 15-14 lifetime in the playoffs and Chad Henne basically IS Mason Rudolph with a little over a decade's more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    If you say so.

Never-minding, of course, despite finally breaking through and winning a SB last year (mainly because of Mahomes), Andy Reid is still 15-14 lifetime in the playoffs and Chad Henne basically IS Mason Rudolph with a little over a decade's more experience.
    I really like Andy Reid as HC, he is great and he is a future HOF and he deserves that but if Tomlin is criticized that he is 3-6 in his last 9 playoffs games,what about the 1-7 playoffs that Andy Reid had in the playoffs from the NFC title game in 2008 until 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I really like Andy Reid as HC, he is great and he is a future HOF and he deserves that but if Tomlin is criticized that he is 3-6 in his last 9 playoffs games,what about the 1-7 playoffs that Andy Reid had in the playoffs from the NFC title game in 2008 until 2017?
    Being from Philadelphia, I laughed hard when the Eagles fired Reid and even harder when they hired Reid Light...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Being from Philadelphia, I laughed hard when the Eagles fired Reid and even harder when they hired Reid Light...
    Too much was being made about his failures in the playoffs, he's consistently been a good coach. Hard to win in the playoffs when you have known chokers like McNabb and Smith. I mean look at many 'great' coaches' track records like Belichick and Cowher until they got a franchise QB

The last two seasons have been tough for the eagles under Andy Reid, including a 4-12 season in 2012 ... Sometimes it's time for a change

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The last two seasons have been tough for the eagles under Andy Reid, including a 4-12 season in 2012 ... Sometimes it's time for a change

Andy Reid approves this message.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Screw KC and right now we are the best team in the NFL. I would also fear the Saints right now more then KC.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I think KC woud still be a winning team without Mahomes. Their back up is better than ours, and so is their coach. It's all Ben this year. When he has the ball in his hands, I know we will come back to win.
    Oh this is some amazing crap here. KC would be total crap without MaHomes. Yet Tomlin figured out a way to make rudolf and duck semi functional . Reid would shut the bed with Duck running his offense

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Screw KC and right now we are the best team in the NFL. I would also fear the Saints right now more then KC.
    The saints? They needed OT to beat the bears and the raiders? Most weeks you couldn't trust thier defense to help your grandma to cross the road

Merry Christmas

I like the Steelers chances against anybody. I think this might be the best team I've seen them field overall since 2005

Last year with Matt Moore as QB, the chiefs had been competitive against the packers and they won the game after against the 10-6 Vikings ... So the chiefs are not a one man team.

Last year with Matt Moore as QB, the chiefs had been competitive against the packers and they won the game after against the 10-6 Vikings ... So the chiefs are not a one man team.
    Last year thier defense seemed much more competent.

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Last year thier defense seemed much more competent.

First 10 games of their season last year,their defense were brutal...They were much better after that.This year,yes they are weak against the run but very good against the pass.No team is perfect.