Thread: WR #'s

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

WR #'s

Juju- 516 yards 5TDs
    Claypool- 500 yards 7TDs
    Johnson- 426 yards 4TDs

It's crazy how close these guys' numbers are. It goes to show how well Ben is spreading the rock. You never know who is going to have the big game.
    We may not have a 1,000 yard WR, but we could have 3 around 900 yards if they keep their pace. I'll take that all day! Similar to the 2004 Colts where they had 3 1,000 yard WRs in Stokely, Wayne, and Harrison.

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Re: WR #'s

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Juju- 516 yards 5TDs
    Claypool- 500 yards 7TDs
    Johnson- 426 yards 4TDs

It's crazy how close these guys' numbers are. It goes to show how well Ben is spreading the rock. You never know who is going to have the big game.
    We may not have a 1,000 yard WR, but we could have 3 around 900 yards if they keep their pace. I'll take that all day! Similar to the 2004 Colts where they had 3 1,000 yard WRs in Stokely, Wayne, and Harrison.
    Not to mention Washington with 3 tds. Only 260+ yards, but 11+ avg. Not bad for a 4th.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If Ben picks up the pace we could have three 1,000 yard receivers. Probably hasn’t happened often.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If Ben picks up the pace we could have three 1,000 yard receivers. Probably hasn’t happened often.
    There's been 5 teams to do it...
    1. 1980 Chargers
    2. 1989 Redskins
    3. 1995 Falcons
    4. 2004 Colts
    5. 2008 Cardinals

If we keep this passing trend going then I believe it is possible. It'd be an impressive stat, especially if they capped it off with a Lombardi.
    Last edited by RunNGun; 11-17-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bendsteel View Post
    Not to mention Washington with 3 tds. Only 260+ yards, but 11+ avg. Not bad for a 4th.
    Washington has played very well when given the opportunity.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Seems like we have a group of WR team players, hopefully it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Seems like we have a group of WR team players, hopefully it stays that way.
    I'd like to believe that could happen, but WRs rarely keep the team 1st attitude. Hopefully, they can keep their heads straight for a couple more seasons though until it's pay day.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I'd like to believe that could happen, but WRs rarely keep the team 1st attitude. Hopefully, they can keep their heads straight for a couple more seasons though until it's pay day.
    Either that or keep drafting a WR in second round every year. The only guy I could see having the WR attitude and selfishness out of that group is Diontae. I am going by gut instinct, I have zero evidence so far to base opinion on. Dont see issues with other 3 at all.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Either that or keep drafting a WR in second round every year. The only guy I could see having the WR attitude and selfishness out of that group is Diontae. I am going by gut instinct, I have zero evidence so far to base opinion on. Dont see issues with other 3 at all.
    I agree 100% about Diontae. He’s made some mental mistakes and he’s definitely had some of those mild hissy fit moments this season. I’m hoping that’s just a competitive thing and not a selfish type thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Juju- 516 yards 5TDs
    Claypool- 500 yards 7TDs
    Johnson- 426 yards 4TDs

The sad thing is that eventually we are going to have to choose which to keep. I think DJ will eventually be allowed to walk with us keeping Juju and Claypool with a guy like Washington being the 3rd receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    The sad thing is that eventually we are going to have to choose which to keep. I think DJ will eventually be allowed to walk with us keeping Juju and Claypool with a guy like Washington being the 3rd receiver.
    I don't know. That's a tough call. Imo, they will let Juju walk. The bad attitude claims from Diontae I have not seen. Juju has been great and has done everything he's supposed to do, but I believe his skillset is easier to replace than Diontae's. He also may be wanting a lot of money that the Steelers can't afford to pay.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’d keep JuJu. Three weeks in a row, when the momentum was in the balance, JuJu put the team on his shoulders... and sparked the entire team. We’ve all seen it: a drive where JuJu gets three or four receptions where he fights for the first down... and then, the drive is capped off by a TD reception for him. He’s the tough-catch guy that Ben looks for when we “need” a sure catch.... and/or when the team needs a swing in momentum.

In other words, you cannot quantify JuJu’s value by merely looking at his stats.

BTW: Baldinger did a nice breakdown of how our four targets are all very different, but all really good.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’d keep JuJu. Three weeks in a row, when the momentum was in the balance, JuJu put the team on his shoulders... and sparked the entire team. We’ve all seen it: a drive where JuJu gets three or four receptions where he fights for the first down... and then, the drive is capped off by a TD reception for him. He’s the tough-catch guy that Ben looks for when we “need” a sure catch.... and/or when the team needs a swing in momentum.

In other words, you cannot quantify JuJu’s value by merely looking at his stats.

BTW: Baldinger did a nice breakdown of how our four targets are all very different, but all really good.
    Agreed. But unfortunately, the math is not on the side of keeping him. It all depends on how low he is willing to go to stay.

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/ -- Juju and his agent have an easy argument that he is "worth" $12-16 million per year. I want them to be sign him long term. I suspect he wants to play here long term. But is he willing to take $4 million or more LESS per year to do it? Also, does he want to make less money and then be without a good QB potentially on the back end of any deal he signs - making a third NFL contract even harder to get big $$$ on?

The player and the team seem to be a great match. The scenario is shaping up to be one where through no one's fault it doesn't work out. And it will be sad.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Agreed. But unfortunately, the math is not on the side of keeping him. It all depends on how low he is willing to go to stay.

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/ -- Juju and his agent have an easy argument that he is "worth" $12-16 million per year. I want them to be sign him long term. I suspect he wants to play here long term. But is he willing to take $4 million or more LESS per year to do it? Also, does he want to make less money and then be without a good QB potentially on the back end of any deal he signs - making a third NFL contract even harder to get big $$$ on?

The player and the team seem to be a great match. The scenario is shaping up to be one where through no one's fault it doesn't work out. And it will be sad.
    he will go where the money is ... he hasnt spent all that time building his brand to take a team friendly deal ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

There's no denying the reality of what you're saying, but every time I watch an interview with Ben he lights up whenever he talks about Juju. It's obvious that Juju is still his favorite, so Ben will definitely try to influence them to try and make a deal with Juju.

But I'm not sure what Ben would do if he's asked to take less money for it. He'd probably restructure, but not rip up his contract.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Is Juju a total FA in 2021? If so, can we afford to tag him? I really don't think he'd mind that. Just trying to think of a way he can stay as long as Ben does.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Is Juju a total FA in 2021? If so, can we afford to tag him? I really don't think he'd mind that. Just trying to think of a way he can stay as long as Ben does.
    WR amount in 2021 is $16,020,000. I'm not sure if he's worth that, but the next 7+ games will help that evaluation.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

JuJu is easily worth 10-14M/season. If you look at who is getting paid that amount, JuJu is right there with them. No way he should take under double digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Juju does have a lot of dog in him. He has Hines Ward toughness. It will be a tough decision whoever it is. It reminds me a lot of when they had to choose between Wallace, Sanders, and AB. However, Juju is my pick for being let go because he's going to demand too much. I could really see him going to LA or San Fran. I believe he is from Cali and is big into YouTube. The market would really benefit him.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Lets just try to enjoy this season and I don't want to think about losing good players for now.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Unfortinately, due to the cap dwindling, the Steelers are going to have a tough time keeping anybody. Then again, not many other teams will have much cap space either. The last time something like this happened, it purged the rosters across the league of the veteran backup players. Teams kept their high-priced stars and the rookies (cheap contracts)... and the guys who were making the vet minimum were shown the door.

- - - Updated - - -

Juju does have a lot of dog in him. He has Hines Ward toughness. It will be a tough decision whoever it is. It reminds me a lot of when they had to choose between Wallace, Sanders, and AB. However, Juju is my pick for being let go because he's going to demand too much. I could really see him going to LA or San Fran. I believe he is from Cali and is big into YouTube. The market would really benefit him.
    JuJu talks a lot about how much he loves Pittsburgh. Eric Ebron (just yesterday) was talking about how he loves it here, because his teammates are his friends: “The Steelers are different; we enjoy each other’s company.” If Ebron is in JuJu’s ear (and they hang out quite a bit), JuJu might stick around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Lets just try to enjoy this season and I don't want to think about losing good players for now.
    Good point

DJ leads the NFL in forced broken-tackles.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    There's no denying the reality of what you're saying, but every time I watch an interview with Ben he lights up whenever he talks about Juju. It's obvious that Juju is still his favorite, so Ben will definitely try to influence them to try and make a deal with Juju.

But I'm not sure what Ben would do if he's asked to take less money for it. He'd probably restructure, but not rip up his contract.
    For sure. But Ben has been really good over the years about talking about team and all that but he always takes the max extension. He has never given the Steelers a discount on his deal. Honestly, it is his contract that is the largest hurdle to the team doing anything clever about their unanticipated 2021 cap issues. Meaning, until COVID and the cap moving backwards, the 2021 cap situation was going to be less than ideal but manageable. Now...it is pretty gnarly.

The only really big cap $$$ move they could make is to have Ben rip up his contract and take the same cash over 5-6 years as he is scheduled for now.

I do not think he will do that nor do I think he should. BUT...if Ben wants to keep the "guys" in Pittsbugh he is going to have to put his money where his mouth is.

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

We're talking about WRs, what will the Steelers do with Ben? He's a $41 million dollar hit next year and its the last year of hos contract I think.

Istina

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

...Ben has been really good over the years about talking about team and all that but he always takes the max extension. He has never given the Steelers a discount on his deal.
    Which pretty much makes him just like every other franchise QB in the league who isn't still playing on their rookie deal and doesn't happen to be married to a supermodel who's worth over $100 million themselves...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Which pretty much makes him just like every other franchise QB in the league who isn't still playing on their rookie deal and doesn't happen to be married to a supermodel who's worth over $100 million themselves...
    Yup. All these dudes talk out of both sides of their ass.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Love all the wrs and said this last week on the Game Day forum. I think DJ is Ben's guy.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I used to think that the best foursome we had of WR's was in 1995 - Thigpen/Mills/Johnson/Hastings. Meaning our #4 guy could contribute and make some meaningful plays.

This really is a better foursome and even #5 RayRay can sneak in there. Ebron at TE is just a different thing altogether and he is basically another WR.

Last year (at the beginning), we basically had Moncrete as the #3/#4 and Switzer as the #5. What a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I used to think that the best foursome we had of WR's was in 1995 - Thigpen/Mills/Johnson/Hastings. Meaning our #4 guy could contribute and make some meaningful plays.

This really is a better foursome and even #5 RayRay can sneak in there. Ebron at TE is just a different thing altogether and he is basically another WR.

Last year (at the beginning), we basically had Moncrete as the #3/#4 and Switzer as the #5. What a huge difference.
    I will admit, Ebron has been a lot better than what I expected.