Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin admits Steelers running game is ‘below the line’

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Mike Tomlin admits Steelers running game is ‘below the line’

Mike Tomlin no longer is downplaying the problems with the Pittsburgh Steelers run game.

Two days after insinuating his undefeated team could continue to thrive despite a stagnant rush offense, Tomlin reversed course Tuesday at his weekly press conference, calling the running game “ineffective.”

“We spent a lot of time talking and thinking about that in an effort to move forward,” Tomlin said.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/mike-tom...elow-the-line/

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Re: Mike Tomlin admits Steelers running game is ‘below the line’

We need McDonald back... Ebron's blocking is a BIG ask if we want any consistency running.
    When they put Hawkins in there on the big package, that just made it more obvious.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'm not worried about it. This team has moved to a more west-coast offense. And, in that offense, those quick slant passes basically are running plays.
    Im not worried with stats overall, Id like to have confidence in a 3 rd or 4th and short though. Steelers had 100 yd rusher in atleast 4 games possibly 5 so the potential is there. I just think a little success helps with passing game, but hey Ben doing fine so maybe thats last generation football. Offense and passing now wins championships.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

First team in NFL history to win 3 games in a row with under 50 yards rushing in each game.

But, Ben is holding this team back.......

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    We need McDonald back... Ebron's blocking is a BIG ask if we want any consistency running.
    When they put Hawkins in there on the big package, that just made it more obvious.
    This point is very under-valued on this board when it comes to talking about the Steelers run game. There is not a single TE that excels at blocking on this team. McDonald is the best of the group and he's barely good, which means the others are less than good. Not having a blocking TE or a FB will slow down a team's run game. It's just a fact. This stat alone is what made Bell such a great weapon. Using a jet sweep motion doesn't move the Safety/MLB out of the box on running downs, that's not his man. He has to be blocked by somebody. A 230lb Conner can meet the guy in the hole and fall forward but that is why you see a 2yd run average on the game stat sheet. Getting McDonald/Watt back and healthy will do wonders for this offense and the run game.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Again...everything on offense starts with blocking. Dotson is on Covid protocol so it's a moot point. DeCastro can pass block but is a liability in run blocking, McDonald and Watt are out or recently returned. Better blocking will make for a better run game.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

To my untrained eye, the line looks below the line in the run game overall but particularly guard to guard. But anyone who’s better versed then me should definitely weigh in.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Again...everything on offense starts with blocking. Dotson is on Covid protocol so it's a moot point. DeCastro can pass block but is a liability in run blocking, McDonald and Watt are out or recently returned. Better blocking will make for a better run game.
    The interior line are finesse blockers it seems. Decastro and Pouncey imo, both athletic guys but not necessarily nasty road grader types. Most of Conner's productive runs are from the shotgun in 4-5 wide when the defense has to spread out. It seems like any time we try a power formation it never works

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    The interior line are finesse blockers it seems. Decastro and Pouncey imo, both athletic guys but not necessarily nasty road grader types. Most of Conner's productive runs are from the shotgun in 4-5 wide when the defense has to spread out. It seems like any time we try a power formation it never works
    Yeah,the running game should always be on shotgun for the steelers

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It would not surprise me if DeCastro was playing through a serious injury. I expect surgery to occur the day after the season ends.

For him, standing “still” (pass blocking) seems to be okay. It’s when he has to “move” (run blocking) that he seems to have lost a step. Again, that sounds like his knee is reeeeeally bothering him.

If it were up to me, I’d start Dotson... and let DeCastro rest/heal for a month.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It would not surprise me if DeCastro was playing through a serious injury. I expect surgery to occur the day after the season ends.

For him, standing “still” (pass blocking) seems to be okay. It’s when he has to “move” (run blocking) that he seems to have lost a step. Again, that sounds like his knee is reeeeeally bothering him.

If it were up to me, I’d start Dotson... and let DeCastro rest/heal for a month.
    I like the idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

DeCastro had a lingering injury from camp and then got an abdominal injury when he came back. I think Dotson has looked alot better than DeCastro

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    My new take is that Pouncey is basically cooked. I know the team can't do anything about him because the still totally great franchise QB is his best buddy...but I do not think Pouncey plays to his salary anymore. But again, I often over-react to things I think I see on TV when it comes to offensive line.

Honestly, the 2021 line might be better with the injection of Dotson and Banner (hopefully?) to the lineup. They both seem to bring some nasty to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    My new take is that Pouncey is basically cooked. I know the team can't do anything about him because the still totally great franchise QB is his best buddy...but I do not think Pouncey plays to his salary anymore. But again, I often over-react to things I think I see on TV when it comes to offensive line.

Honestly, the 2021 line might be better with the injection of Dotson and Banner (hopefully?) to the lineup. They both seem to bring some nasty to the table.
    I agree with you on this

I think it will be the last year of Pouncey with us or in the NFL,no matter what.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I think it will be the last year of Pouncey with us or in the NFL,no matter what.
    I think he stays with Ben until Ben is done...but I would not be opposed to selecting a Center with the first pick next season.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think he stays with Ben until Ben is done...but I would not be opposed to selecting a Center with the first pick next season.
    We'll see, but if the steelers want to clear some cap space, maybe release Pouncey would be the thing to do, especially he's not the same player as before.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

What to do with the line is one of those things that I let the coaches worry about, since they see the players day in and day out, and know the inside details the way that I do not. Like, it is injury, or age? But man, they have not looked good lately. Not only is the run blocking bad, but the very rapid release Ben has been using has, I strongly suspect, been protecting the OLine as well.

My take is that they are a hurting unit right now, but I don't have insight about the keep/sell information for the individual players. As a fan I hope that they are just nursing minor injuries, and will recover as the year goes on, but that's not really how it works a lot of times. :-(

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    First team in NFL history to win 3 games in a row with under 50 yards rushing in each game.

But, Ben is holding this team back.......

There are people here that said Ben's super bowl window closed 5-7 years ago......

Let that sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    There are people here that said Ben's super bowl window closed 5-7 years ago......

Let that sink in.
    Remember someone said to trade Ben for Booger Butt fumble because the Steelers were wasting his talent?

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

Let that sink in.
    I forget who it was, but someone wanted to trade Ben and sign Mark Sanchez...because the value was there.

I would be good with that, except Dotson is currently on the Reserve/COVID-19 list as of the 14th. Hopefully, he gets off that list in a day or two and can practice for the coming game. https://www.steelers.com/news/steele...e-roster-moves

Seem he missed last Friday's practice with an illness https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/statu...17393531957248

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I would be good with that, except Dotson is currently on the Reserve/COVID-19 list as of the 14th. Hopefully, he gets off that list in a day or two and can practice for the coming game. https://www.steelers.com/news/steele...e-roster-moves

Seem he missed last Friday's practice with an illness https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/statu...17393531957248
    Indeed

Hopefully, Dotison comes back soon, we rest DeCastro, and voila! everything is once again copacetic.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Pouncey was cooked last year. His snaps are sometimes off too. If the Steelers want to juice up their running game, they move Feiler back to RT ( He's our best run blocker this year ) take Chucks out who barely moves his man, and move Dotson to guard.

Member Array title="Big Ben's Gray is on a distinguished road">

No run game is going to kill us in the post season, is it our backs just not good enough or our offense just can't run block well or a combination of both? Guess it's not fixable this season, same thing every game.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben's Gray View Post
    No run game is going to kill us in the post season, is it our backs just not good enough or our offense just can't run block well or a combination of both? Guess it's not fixable this season, same thing every game.
    I think it's the line, they're a finesse group. Great pass blockers, but as run blockers, not so much. They seem to have the most success running from the shotgun in 4WR 1RB, where the defense has to account for the possibility of a pass

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Cold weather is coming...... we need a running attack!

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

The running game is so far below the line, the line is a dot to Mike Tomlin.