Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 11:Jacksonville Jaguars(1-8)

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Re: Week 11:Jacksonville Jaguars(1-8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Wow this board is getting bitchy
    Well there’s a couple of guys who know more than most on here. Their opinion is more than an opinion in their mind. They actually might get contacted for coaching job. I’ll let you figure out who they are.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I said Pro Bowl, which is a significant drop from all-pro. No!!!!! I'm not saying Minshew for Ben equal swap. I'm saying after Ben retires, I'd be thrilled to have Minshew as the next guy. Because as of right now it's Mason Rudolph.

Minshew's numbers for a rookie and his first 7 games this year:

19 games
    34 TDs/ 11 Ints/ 92.3 passer rating
    466 yards rushing
    7-12 record with crappy talent around him
    My mistake! I don’t read good. If we go by stats, 2020 Ben R is about 8-10 out of QB performance. So, if you’re saying Minshew could be around that good, then he’d have to be able to step in and equal Ben to be at that level. If he can’t, he isn’t top 10.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

It will probably be closer than it should be but, the Steelers will win.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I could be wrong, but IMO when you’re undefeated this late in season a trap game really doesn’t exist. I truly think they don’t want to lose a game and will be motivated. When you’re trying to set a record you can’t overlook anyone. We shall see.
    Ummmm.....hmmm.....guess I should have used . I thought saying the "10th trap game" would have been sarcastic enough without the emoji. My bad.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

jagoffs

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This highlight reel seems, at least to me, 10 minutes of a guy making 1-2 reads and then throwing up a 50/50 ball and hoping his WRs make contested catches. So a ballsier version of Devlin Hodges. Those that know more about QB play than me can pile on and tell me where I went wrong. But I just don't see the foundation of a top 10 QB. Flacco with wheels maybe?

https://youtu.be/_ZmKbf29wc4

https://youtu.be/_ZmKbf29wc4

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    What is your prediction for this game?

Blowout win for the steelers?
    Ugly win for the steelers?
    Or a loss for the steelers?
    We have never played well down there and the Jags have played very well the last 3 games and they've lost 8 in a row which means they are due.

I just feel the gut punch loss coming. The kind of loss you look back on when KC wins home field advantage and say, "we lost to the F'n 1-8 Jaguars!"

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    My mistake! I don’t read good. If we go by stats, 2020 Ben R is about 8-10 out of QB performance. So, if you’re saying Minshew could be around that good, then he’d have to be able to step in and equal Ben to be at that level. If he can’t, he isn’t top 10.
    I listed his stats, but I’m not going by his stats. I’ve actually watched a good portion of the games he’s played. I watch lots of games on gameplan in the condensed format. He has a live arm, good pocket presence and is very mobile. He has the ability to develop into a top 10 quarterback. I stand by my assessment. I’m not comparing him to Ben. You’re the one who keeps doing that. I’m saying let’s have a plan after Ben retires.

I don't want the steelers to be happy with an average QB when Ben retires and Minshew is an average QB at best .... we need better than that and let's hope that the steelers will have a very good one in the next few drafts.

Member Array title="Big Ben's Gray is on a distinguished road">

I'm going to have to agree with some of the other posters here, Jags have our number for whatever reason and it's a road game. This is the game where we lose against a bad team. Our run game goes no where again and Roethlisberger/offense has a bad game with a few key turnovers, Jags do what the Cowboys should have done and we get our 1st loss. This loss will humble the team though and "undefeated" will no longer be on their minds so we'll come out on Thanksgiving to sweep the Ravens for the season. I predict one more loss against the Bills or Colts and we finish the season at 14-2 or 13-3 at worst.
    Last edited by Big Ben's Gray; 11-18-2020 at 01:04 AM.

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

Rudolph gets snaps late again.

Steelers: 34
    Jags: 10

Istina

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Istina View Post
    Rudolph gets snaps late again.

Steelers: 34
    Jags: 10

Istina
    I agree. The current heir to Ben gets snaps and continues to have a deer in the headlights performance but does manage some clean handoffs in a 39-17 beat down of the Jags.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Steelers win 28-10. Ben Roethlisberger throws for a disappointing 220 yards and 3 TDs

Bold predictions:The steelers are going to have over 150 rushing yards in this game!

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I don't want the steelers to be happy with an average QB when Ben retires and Minshew is an average QB at best .... we need better than that and let's hope that the steelers will have a very good one in the next few drafts.
    After we go 16-0 getting QB in draft will require some luck, of course picking a QB in top 10 requires luck too. I really hope Jets take Lawrence and shop Darnold for a cheap draft pick. He does have raw talent, could be worth the gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    After we go 16-0 getting QB in draft will require some luck, of course picking a QB in top 10 requires luck too. I really hope Jets take Lawrence and shop Darnold for a cheap draft pick. He does have raw talent, could be worth the gamble.
    No doubt, we will have to trade up if the steelers draft among the last (hopefully 32!)

If Ben comes back next year, the steelers are going to have the luxury of waiting until 2022 and yes Darnold could be a possibility, but we don't know if he's awful or if he's bad because of his awful HC.Maybe it's both but we don't know yet but yes,this is a possibility if this is the last year of Ben(I don't think it will be the case but we never know)

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I listed his stats, but I’m not going by his stats. I’ve actually watched a good portion of the games he’s played. I watch lots of games on gameplan in the condensed format. He has a live arm, good pocket presence and is very mobile. He has the ability to develop into a top 10 quarterback. I stand by my assessment. I’m not comparing him to Ben. You’re the one who keeps doing that. I’m saying let’s have a plan after Ben retires.
    You just needed to say that he's better than any other backup we currently have on the roster... then their would be little room for argument.

btw, Steelers will WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Ummmm.....hmmm.....guess I should have used . I thought saying the "10th trap game" would have been sarcastic enough without the emoji. My bad.
    Lol, my bad I skimmed through it too fast. On of my pet peeves is labeling games “trap games”. Anytime a significant underdog beats us its a trap game.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

No doubt, we will have to trade up if the steelers draft among the last (hopefully 32!)

If Ben comes back next year, the steelers are going to have the luxury of waiting until 2022 and yes Darnold could be a possibility, but we don't know if he's awful or if he's bad because of his awful HC.Maybe it's both but we don't know yet but yes, this is a possibility if this is the last year of Ben(I don't think it will be the case but we never know)
    If Ben is healthy at the end of the year he says he fully intends to play out his contract. I don't think we should be using draft capital to trade for Darnold or Minshew when we'll need those draft picks to replace guys we could lose to FA.

Also we're in such a tight cap situation I don't think we want to be paying a guy like Darnold to sit on the bench while we're paying Ben. Darnold is on a high draft pick rookie deal which won't be totally cheap to pay that fifth year option. And if we're giving up draft pick(s) I can't see doing it without signing him to a longer contract which we absolutely can't afford while Ben is on the books.

I think we let Ben play until he can't play anymore before we entertain any kind of trade for a QB. If a great QB happens to fall into our laps in this next draft, I guess I'm okay with pulling the trigger, but I'd err on using draft picks to win a Super Bowl with Ben, and we can draft a QB once he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    If Ben is healthy at the end of the year he says he fully intends to play out his contract. I don't think we should be using draft capital to trade for Darnold or Minshew when we'll need those draft picks to replace guys we could lose to FA.

Also we're in such a tight cap situation I don't think we want to be paying a guy like Darnold to sit on the bench while we're paying Ben. Darnold is on a high draft pick rookie deal which won't be totally cheap to pay that fifth year option. And if we're giving up draft pick(s) I can't see doing it without signing him to a longer contract which we absolutely can't afford while Ben is on the books.

I think we let Ben play until he can't play anymore before we entertain any kind of trade for a QB. If a great QB happens to fall into our laps in this next draft, I guess I'm okay with pulling the trigger, but I'd err on using draft picks to win a Super Bowl with Ben, and we can draft a QB once he's gone.
    Yeah I agree with you

I said that wrong, since no way the steelers will trade for Darnold if Ben comes back ... But it would be possible if Ben retires.

But one way or another, I don't believe Ben can play at a 41 million cap hit next year ... One of the two things the steelers need to do with Ben's contract if he comes back ... either extend his contract to lower his cap hit by around 15 million or to do as the Saints have done with Drew Brees since at least 2016 with the voided years ... Yes that could be a problem later, but right now, I don't care of 2024!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I agree. The current heir to Ben gets snaps and continues to have a deer in the headlights performance but does manage some clean handoffs in a 39-17 beat down of the Jags.

I don't think anyone believes that Rudolph is the heir to Ben at this point. But as I said above, trading for any QB while we still have Ben costs us draft picks and cap space that we can't afford to lose.

It would be nice to have our Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers on the bench waiting to take over, like those teams had, but we just won't be in that position unless we luck into diamond in the rough in a late round. Otherwise we wait until 2022 to draft or trade for Ben's replacement. We can't really give up draft picks and make a real deal with a current NFL QB while we're still paying for Ben.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I agree with you

I said that wrong, since no way the steelers will trade for Darnold if Ben comes back ... But it would be possible if Ben retires.

But one way or another, I don't believe Ben can play at a 41 million cap hit next year ... One of the two things the steelers need to do with Ben's contract if he comes back ... either extend his contract to lower his cap hit by around 15 million or to do as the Saints have done with Drew Brees since at least 2016 with the voided years ... Yes that could be a problem later, but right now, I don't care of 2024!

You're talking about a deal with Ben that will probably mean we continue to pay him after he retires?

That seems totally doable as long as we either draft our next QB or we trade for a relatively cheap option. But having dead Ben money on the books might hurt us if we want to do something like sign Aaron Rodgers or Matt Stafford to win a Super Bowl after Ben retires.

I don't think anyone believes that Rudolph is the heir to Ben at this point. But as I said above, trading for any QB while we still have Ben costs us draft picks and cap space that we can't afford to lose.

It would be nice to have our Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers on the bench waiting to take over, like those teams had, but we just won't be in that position unless we luck into diamond in the rough in a late round. Otherwise we wait until 2022 to draft or trade for Ben's replacement. We can't really give up draft picks and make a real deal with a current NFL QB while we're still paying for Ben.

- - - Updated - - -

You're talking about a deal with Ben that will probably mean we continue to pay him after he retires?

That seems totally doable as long as we either draft our next QB or we trade for a relatively cheap option. But having dead Ben money on the books might hurt us if we want to do something like sign Aaron Rodgers or Matt Stafford to win a Super Bowl after Ben retires.
    I don't believe the steelers are going to sign or trade for a QB or like Rodgers or Stafford when Ben retires ... I prefer to try this gamble and go with a young QB with a rookie contract .... The ideal situation would be an extension that would lower its hit cap by a lot in 2021.

I don't believe the steelers are going to sign or trade for a QB or like Rodgers or Stafford when Ben retires ... I prefer to try this gamble and go with a young QB with a rookie contract .... The ideal situation would be an extension that would lower its hit cap by a lot in 2021.
    Right but at some point those extensions to lower cap hits are going to extend beyond Ben's playing years. That's what you're talking about, right?

Bold predictions:The steelers are going to have over 150 rushing yards in this game!
    I totally believe that could happen as well. I think they’re going to go into the game committed to the run and be successful with it.

Right but at some point those extensions to lower cap hits are going to extend beyond Ben's playing years. That's what you're talking about, right?
    Yeah maybe, but sometimes it's important not to be too worried about whatever is going to happen in 2024 or something like that ... what matters is right now.

Just look at the Saints .... They're going to have 80 million over the salary cap next year if the salary cap is at 175 million, but at least they have tried and they've been a super bowl contender since 3-4 years... The Packers are too conservative(like it was not the time to draft a QB in the first round in 2020) and think too much about the future and I don't want the steelers to be too careful since it's too frustrating for me ... Lowering Ben's cap hit would help to keep as many players as possible for the steelers in 2021.

I think the best plan is to win B2B Super Bowls, Ben retire, and with the 32nd pick of the draft pick a QB from Ball State that is better than Mahomes in his rookie season.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Other than the Dallas game, this is one of the games I pegged that the Steelers drop their first game. Jacksonville always plays Pittsburgh tough and stupid Twilight Zone things seem to happen every time the Steelers play the Jaguars. The Jags defense held Rodgers in check this past Sunday. Ben has historically had problems with Jacksonville. With a critical rematch with the Ravens on deck that following Thursday, yeah, all signs are pointing to the Steelers sleepwalking through this game.

It'll be another Ravens/Cowboys finisher coming down to the final seconds. I wouldn't be too surprised if Jacksonville wins.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/jax/2020.htm

The Jags 2020 numbers, stats, and league rankings. You can look at situational as well as broad stats. Very nice site for getting the strengths and weaknesses of teams and players. Statistically of course.