Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ben MVP?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Big Ben MVP?

It's time I eat crow. Admittedly, I was one who thought Ben was pretty much done after his injury last year, but man was I wrong. He's playing extremely good football right now. He's finding all of his WRs and it's very impressive to watch. Imo, when you talk about the MVP, Ben Roethlisberger should be near the top of that list.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Big Ben MVP?

He is great but this is Mahomes.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It doesn’t matter how good Ben is...there are four media darlings that no matter what he does, he will never surpass Mahomes, Wilson, Murray or Rodgers...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It doesn’t matter how good Ben is...there are four media darlings that no matter what he does, he will never surpass Mahomes, Wilson, Murray or Rodgers...

This.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

And Ben just isn’t going to put up the total numbers to beat those guys.

He’d need to blow them all away and go undefeated to even be considered.

Hell, the media doesn’t even want to give him CPOY even though no other comeback player is even CLOSE to where Ben is. People think it should automatically go to Alex Smith just for taking a snap. It’s ridiculous. If CPOY was based on the injury rather than the comeback performance they could hand out the award before the season even started.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

Major props for coming out like a man and admitting being wrong.

For MVP? Don't care. Superbowl is the goal. Always.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

NFL MVP hasn't won the Super Bowl since the 99 season anyway. Just get a Super Bowl win

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If the Steelers go 16-0 and Ben puts up career numbers (sans the yards), then Ben will win MVP.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If the Steelers go 16-0 and Ben puts up career numbers (sans the yards), then Ben will win MVP.
    I think so too, so you're tellin me there's a chance?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There’s a chance!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A: No

Subtext: And, I don’t really care. Give me another Lombardi.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Tannenbaum

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Hell, the media doesn’t even want to give him CPOY even though no other comeback player is even CLOSE to where Ben is. People think it should automatically go to Alex Smith just for taking a snap. It’s ridiculous. If CPOY was based on the injury rather than the comeback performance they could hand out the award before the season even started.
    Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Gronk gets it, because, you know, Patriots.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    A: No

Subtext: And, I don’t really care. Give me another Lombardi.
    I think Ben would agree with you.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ben has a better chance of getting MVP than Comeback Player. Another media darlings, Alex Smith, will wrap that award up.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Has there ever been a better QB than Ben, at the pump fake? I love it when he does it so well that he fakes out the cameramen.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The worst one of the 4 you mention is Rodgers as he's grossly overrated.
    IF and is stress that he was coming off an injury like Ben and leading his team to this current 9-0 record has the same stats etc i can guarantee the only thing you'd be watching on pregame sundays on all stations is the Aaron Rodgers comeback tour showing highlights of all his throws weekly and with each win the following week they tack on the previous weeks highlights.

couple it with the fact that last season was a 'fluke' 8-8 season thanks to the defense im still convinced so far this current team is 1-8 but odds are 0-9 without Ben

But for arguments sake here's the current stats of Ben & Rodgers
    Yards:
    Rodgers - 2578
    Ben - 2267

TD:INT
    Rodgers - 26:3
    Ben - 22:4

Completion %
    Rodgers - 67.8
    Ben - 66.8

Rating:
    Rodgers - 116.4
    Ben - 103

Now i will finish this by saying i couldn't care less if he wins but he should be in the discussion. I mean Ben is the reasons they're 9-0.
    I'll take a Super Bowl before any lame MVP award

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    IF and is stress that he was coming off an injury like Ben and leading his team to this current 9-0 record has the same stats etc i can guarantee the only thing you'd be watching on pregame sundays on all stations is the Aaron Rodgers comeback tour showing highlights of all his throws weekly and with each win the following week they tack on the previous weeks highlights.

couple it with the fact that last season was a 'fluke' 8-8 season thanks to the defense im still convinced so far this current team is 1-8 but odds are 0-9 without Ben

Yards:
    Rodgers - 2578
    Ben - 2267

Completion %
    Rodgers - 67.8
    Ben - 66.8

Rating:
    Rodgers - 116.4
    Ben - 103

Now i will finish this by saying i couldn't care less if he wins but he should be in the discussion. I mean Ben is the reasons they're 9-0.
    It's not all about stats. As 86Ward said, Rodgers is a beloved media darling and can do no wrong in their eyes. Rodgers always gets love and Ben doesn't.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    It's not all about stats. As 86Ward said, Rodgers is a beloved media darling and can do no wrong in their eyes. Rodgers always gets love and Ben doesn't.
    im just pointing out that it's close even in the stats department.

Which is also why I used the analogy of IF Rodgers has the injury etc and was doing the EXACT same thing as Ben the over hype which is factual about Rodgers would now be astronomical.

The media is forbidden from speaking ill about Aaron 'Mr. Overrated' Rodgers

im just pointing out that it's close even in the stats department.

Which is also why I used the analogy of IF Rodgers has the injury etc and was doing the EXACT same thing as Ben the over hype which is factual about Rodgers would now be astronomical.

The media is forbidden from speaking ill about Aaron 'Mr. Overrated' Rodgers
    I agree with you 110%. The Rodgers media hype is sickening.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

How much goes into the commercial deals? When NFL athletes do tv commercials it sort of puts them into that 'face of the NFL' position if for no other reason than their 'face' becomes known to everyone, even the non-football fans. (Or Communists as they are also known) Rodgers, Mahomes, Mayfield, the current players in the 'Heisman House' commercials to a lesser extent. I have to wonder how much this factors into an NFL MVP vote if all else is close or equal.

Why isn't Joe Burrow doing any of these commercials? He'll never win league MVP with that attitude.

Not sure if anyone saw Russell Wilson yesterday but he played far from MVP caliber. He was playing extremely scared and wanted nothing to do with Jalen Ramsey. He wouldn’t even look towards DK Metcalf yesterday and that’s one of the best WRs in the game right now...

Yards:
    Rodgers - 2578
    Ben - 2267

Completion %
    Rodgers - 67.8
    Ben - 66.8

Rating:
    Rodgers - 116.4
    Ben - 103

He definitely should be in the discussion but he won’t win it if any of those other 4 are in the same discussion.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Ben is currently having a really good year, as are a number of other QB's in the NFL. Here is where he ranks in some categories:

15th- in Passing Yardage
    5th -in Passing TD's
    8th -in Passer Rating
    tied for 11th- in Completion Percentage

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Say if we do go 19-0 and win another championship, does Ben retire or come back? Given that his hero is Elway, and Elway decided to retire when he was still on the top of his game, I see that to be likely

Elway won two in a row and then retired! I'm OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Elway won two in a row and then retired! I'm OK with that.
    True, but it'd be #3 for Ben. And how epic would it be to go out after being the only 19-0 team in history?