Thread: Offensive Line: How bad do we miss Munchak?

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Offensive Line: How bad do we miss Munchak?

Our line has been one of the best over the last few years but the performance decline since we lost Munchak becomes more and more obvious as time goes by. This line just can't seem accomplish what the talent level suggests we should. I know Conner isn't the strongest back in the league but the lack of any explosion off the snap is killing our running game....and we are running less and less once we start off slowly...waiting for Ben to hurry up and bail out Fichner.... It's becoming painful to watch. We need to find a more effective O-line coach.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Offensive Line: How bad do we miss Munchak?

They been playing good all season accept for this last one. Crap play calling did not help them today either. Fichtner is just not a good OC period!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The running game were fine before the last 2 games....

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Fichtner needed to go before he was ever hired.

Same with Butler.

The coordinators and special teams coach are horrendous. This team is successful in spite of them, not because of them. If they actually had some good coordinators, I would have confidence that this team could pull off a super bowl run. They do not, so I don't even have confidence that this team could beat the Cowboys if they were to face them again.

This team certainly is talented enough to win the Super Bowl and if they do, it will not be because of anything Fichtner or Butler did.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Seems like an ill-timed thread. OL is a strength this year.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I think the OL has played well. And I’m glad that some of the lower round draft picks are making solid contributions. Tells me we don’t always have to spend first or second round picks on the OL and have a large amount of our salary cap locked there.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I actually think the O-line has been playing well this year

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post

Same with Butler.

The coordinators and special teams coach are horrendous. This team is successful in spite of them, not because of them. If they actually had some good coordinators, I would have confidence that this team could pull off a super bowl run. They do not, so I don't even have confidence that this team could beat the Cowboys if they were to face them again.

This team certainly is talented enough to win the Super Bowl and if they do, it will not be because of anything Fichtner or Butler did.
    This team is 8-0 right now because Kevin Colbert has built one of the most talented teams in the league and has continued to keep it stocked with talent for 2 decades now. They've built a roster filled with enough talent to cover for the ineptitude of the coordinators. Having a franchise QB in Ben also helps greatly and in particular bails out Fichtner

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Agree. But I still dont know what sitting around and missing Munchak will do? So who cares.

Getting Feiler off of the RT spot and letting Foster retire were 2 big improvements in talent. AV playing well vs terrible last year was a big deal, but I still dont see a lot of great consistency in run blocking, probably because they dont do it as much.

Anyways, I am happy to see an assistant O line coach like Adrian Klemm getting experience. He hasnt been away from the game too long and can offer insight if he knows how to deliver the message well.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

We're 8-0. We don't miss anybody. They miss us.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Watch Denver games. It isn't exactly an offensive line clinic. Munchak is a great coach and teacher. But you have to have talented players first off. And a functional offense.

Notice how some said AV was cooked last year because sacks or something. I don't think he has given up a single sack this season. Weird how when your QB gets the ball out prior to "forever" and doesn't wander around aimlessly in the pocket and blunder into pass rushers that suddenly your linemen aren't washed up anymore.

Couple that with the development of Dotson, Chuks, and Banner...that has to count for something on the coaching side of the ledger. The regression of Pouncey and Feiler is troubling...but that might be just on those players.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Watch Denver games. It isn't exactly an offensive line clinic. Munchak is a great coach and teacher. But you have to have talented players first off. And a functional offense.

Notice how some said AV was cooked last year because sacks or something. I don't think he has given up a single sack this season. Weird how when your QB gets the ball out prior to "forever" and doesn't wander around aimlessly in the pocket and blunder into pass rushers that suddenly your linemen aren't washed up anymore.

Couple that with the development of Dotson, Chuks, and Banner...that has to count for something on the coaching side of the ledger. The regression of Pouncey and Feiler is troubling...but that might be just on those players.
    The bad play by AV last season wasnt on the QB's, it was him and it was a real breakdown of some fundamental techniques and principles. I could see it, plus one of Tunch or Wolfley pointed out that he needed to regroup this past offseason and get back to some basics.

I think Feiler has been pretty good inside this year at guard. Made some questionable decisions on angles on a few pulls and missed some inside twists/blitz, but the drafting of Dotson and the small sample of Dotson's play makes is pretty clear that Dotson should be a starter next season if not sooner.

Losing a coach like Munchak does hurt but right now the O-line is overall playing well so they've managed without him thus far in 2020

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The bad play by AV last season wasnt on the QB's, it was him and it was a real breakdown of some fundamental techniques and principles. I could see it, plus one of Tunch or Wolfley pointed out that he needed to regroup this past offseason and get back to some basics.

I think Feiler has been pretty good inside this year at guard. Made some questionable decisions on angles on a few pulls and missed some inside twists/blitz, but the drafting of Dotson and the small sample of Dotson's play makes is pretty clear that Dotson should be a starter next season if not sooner.
    Since we’re obviously not replacing DeCastro, do you think it might be worth it to try Dotson out at LG? Feiler has been pretty good overall but I wonder if Dotson is the better player at that position.

I read someone suggest playing Dotson at LG and possibly move Feiler out to RT.

Our run blocking has been kind of hit and miss this season. I know we didn’t really stick with the run this last game, but we looked pretty bad against what had been one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.

Although maybe the Cowboys have turned things around since they’ve replaced a few guys on defense. I heard Poe was really bad this year, hence his release.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Since we’re obviously not replacing DeCastro, do you think it might be worth it to try Dotson out at LG? Feiler has been pretty good overall but I wonder if Dotson is the better player at that position.

I read someone suggest playing Dotson at LG and possibly move Feiler out to RT.

Our run blocking has been kind of hit and miss this season. I know we didn’t really stick with the run this last game, but we looked pretty bad against what had been one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.

Although maybe the Cowboys have turned things around since they’ve replaced a few guys on defense. I heard Poe was really bad this year, hence his release.
    I think Okorafor has proven to be a better pass blocker at RT than Feiler. There is a reason the Steelers moved Feiler inside to guard and IMO its best for him to stay there, given the time he has spent there this training camp and season. He and AV-Pouncey have likely developed thru experience, some handling of D-line stunts, twists, blitz pickups and protections, as well as some rapport on double team and combination blocks that lead to one of them moving to the 2nd level blocker.

Dotston is going to step in to the LG spot in the offseason when Feiler leaves as a UFA. For now they just need to roll with the guys they have in place and at least have the security of Dotston able to play at Guard and Hawkins at OT if needed. But if Feiler falters badly, then Dotson is an option, but I dont see it as something they should be looking at.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Munchak is improving that Denver line though. Garrett Bolles was basically garbage at the tackle position up until this year, and now he seems to be one of the better tackles in the league.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post

Same with Butler.

I've got to disagree with that. Imo, Butler has done a fine job. Lead the league in sacks and turnovers last season and may very well do it again this season. Sure, he has his flaws, but you can't expect perfect.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

I disagree. Our LT and C are in decline, and DeCastro has been hurt.