Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First 8-0 start in steelers history!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

First 8-0 start in steelers history!

And Tomlin tie Marty Schottenheimer for the most season to start a career without a losing season with 14!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: First 8-0 start in steelers history!

People bitch about the way they win games. There's a reason they have never gone 8-0 in the history of the franchise until today.

It's not easy to win games in the NFL. Everyone of the other teams they claim are better than the Steelers have already lost at least one game.

Enjoy the victory!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I wish I could feel better about it.

This team really needs to learn how to play a complete game against someone. I can’t even say we’re the worst 8-0 team in history because we are super talented.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic but I wonder how much better we could be if we could really see the best version of this team every week.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

This team really needs to learn how to play a complete game against someone. I can’t even say we’re the worst 8-0 team in history because we are super talented.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic but I wonder how much better we could be if we could really see the best version of this team every week.
    I’m really not trying to rag on what you said, but how often does any team get the best of everyone. I think it’s a statement on this team that we are balanced enough, for one group to pick up the others. I love the fact that Ben hung in there after banging his knee up to lead a touchdown drive. Too many great moments to harp on the shitty ones. Berry’s punting was outstanding. Averaging 50+ yards and hit a 62 yarder......I’m just enjoying being 8-0...three straight on the road. Time to go home and beat the Bungles.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

In spite of Randy .....

Ben is without a doubt the best OC this team has

how about Mason 2-3 ..... 3 yards and a floater he was lucky wasn't picked off ...

we need a backup QB still
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Gutsy win. Now time to adjust my BP meds

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Well they're certainly the most poorly coached 8-0 team in history. I'd call Fichtner, Butler, and Smith the 3 stooges but that's probably an insult to the stooges. I'd feel better about 8-0 if this team didn't seem destined for a flameout early in the playoffs. Somehow I doubt that teams with championship aspirations would go down to the wire against Jeff Driscoll AND Garrett Gilbert

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Gutsy win. Now time to adjust my BP meds
    I took a double dose this morning. Spent the first half visiting with my 85 year old mom, and she was cussing more at the tv than I was.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Well they're certainly the most poorly coached 8-0 team in history.
    This again? Christ, give it a rest.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    If only you were 10% as tired of Patriot-fan trolls

Amen!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    If only you were 10% as tired of Patriot-fan trolls

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I took a double dose this morning. Spent the first half visiting with my 85 year old mom, and she was cussing more at the tv than I was.
    My throat got scratchy after jumping around and yelling after Minkah's pick in the end zone.

I think close to a solid month's worth of road games (with 2 of those games against top-flight AFC competition) has had something to do with it too. Thanks again, Titans. /sarcasm

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah,before the Cowboys game,the steelers had won 3 games in a row against 3 teams with a winning record,2 of those are 6-2 right now....It was predictable that the steelers were going to be flat today .... Disappointing, but understandable after 3 huge wins .... The chiefs won only 33-31 against a 3-6 team ....The Titans were horrible last week against the Bengals

BTW,It's always scary for me to play against a QB without an NFL tape.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The chiefs won only 33-31 against a 3-6 team...
    At HOME, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yeah,before the Cowboys game,the steelers had won 3 games in a row against 3 teams with a winning record,2 of those are 6-2 right now....It was predictable that the steelers were going to be flat today .... Disappointing, but understandable after 3 huge wins .... The chiefs won only 33-31 against a 3-6 team ....The Titans were horrible last week against the Bengals

BTW,It's always scary for me to play against a QB without an NFL tape.
    Gilbert looked pretty comfortable out there. They ended up with a pretty good game plan. They knew our defense was going to key on Elliott and the running game, so what do they do....they throw it. They pulled out all the stops, including the razzle-dazzle on the punt return and we still prevailed.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That was a terrible outing as far as the Steelers go. I think we all expected a lot more out of that team especially because it was such a mismatch on paper.

How ever, this was their third road game and it was a classic trap situation. The only thing I can say is it may not have been pretty but it’s a win and good teams find ways to win those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That was a terrible outing as far as the Steelers go. I think we all expected a lot more out of that team especially because it was such a mismatch on paper.

How ever, this was their third road game and it was a classic trap situation. The only thing I can say is it may not have been pretty but it’s a win and good teams find ways to win those games.
    EXACTLY!

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

Worst team to go 8-0 in the history of football? Maybe. But........

At HOME, no less.
    Yep. How many times have the Patriots* barely pulled out wins in games that they should have blown out opponents? How about the Ravens? Watch any game any week, and see the same thing. Titans? Lost to the 2-5 Bungles last week. Packers? Lost to the 2-5 Vikings last week. Bucs? Pulled out a two point win against the 1-7 Giants last week.

But I guess that "Tomlin's a bad coach" narrative just won't end. If he's guilty of one thing, it's being too loyal to his assistants. But with the way the Steelers like stability, that may not even be a bad think except on special teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yep. How many times have the Patriots* barely pulled out wins in games that they should have blown out opponents? How about the Ravens? Watch any game any week, and see the same thing. Titans? Lost to the 2-5 Bungles last week. Packers? Lost to the 2-5 Vikings last week. Bucs? Pulled out a two point win against the 1-7 Giants last week.

But I guess that "Tomlin's a bad coach" narrative just won't end. If he's guilty of one thing, it's being too loyal to his assistants. But with the way the Steelers like stability, that may not even be a bad think except on special teams.
    Well, and honestly, up until today, ST hasn’t been an issue and almost a strength. We fixed the punter problem, by bringing Berry back.....I know I know, but he has been solid upon his return. Boz has been solid. I love Ray-Ray. I don’t care one way or the other about Smith, but just make sure what you’re getting is better than what you had....ie..Berry/Colquit

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

It was to be expected they would come out flat I suppose, it sucks, but as stated several times, we just went through a pretty brutal stretch and we were not so good. But looking around the league today, almost all the top teams struggled today. 8-0, next week at home against a rejuvenated Bungles team, got keep the focus!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'm not going to complain about them not playing up to their highest level. I don't know what it is, but every week after Ravens week they come out flat

How is this for unusual, Boz has missed 3 XPs, but as a result of the “do over” today, he is perfect on FGs and has a new franchise record at 59 yards. Strange season.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I’m really not trying to rag on what you said, but how often does any team get the best of everyone. I think it’s a statement on this team that we are balanced enough, for one group to pick up the others. I love the fact that Ben hung in there after banging his knee up to lead a touchdown drive. Too many great moments to harp on the shitty ones. Berry’s punting was outstanding. Averaging 50+ yards and hit a 62 yarder......I’m just enjoying being 8-0...three straight on the road. Time to go home and beat the Bungles.
    I don’t disagree with anything you say, but the attitude of “we’re 8-0 and that’s all that matters” isn’t any more useful than “we suck, Fire everyone!”

It’s no different than when we rightfully see potential problems with the Ravens even when they blow out so many regular season games. We point out the potential problems they will face in the playoffs.

Winning specific games is nice but it’s NOT everything and there are potential problems we might face by leaving so little cushion and so little room to bad luck or great plays by the opposition.

I’m happy we can be flawed with the win, but we can and should discuss what our problems are.

I don’t disagree with anything you say, but the attitude of “we’re 8-0 and that’s all that matters” isn’t any more useful than “we suck, Fire everyone!”

It’s no different than when we rightfully see potential problems with the Ravens even when they blow out so many regular season games. We point out the potential problems they will face in the playoffs.

Winning specific games is nice but it’s NOT everything and there are potential problems we might face by leaving so little cushion and so little room to bad luck or great plays by the opposition.

I’m happy we can be flawed with the win, but we can and should discuss what our problems are.
    I guess a lot of that is me as a fan......what I get out of each and every one of these guys, is , “we can and need to be better”. Even the young guys. Claypool was piss a number of times....and he’s been at this a total of 16 weeks. What I saw this afternoon.....no one is taking their assignments lightly.....they may miss them, but never because of apathy.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess a lot of that is me as a fan......what I get out of each and every one of these guys, is , “we can and need to be better”. Even the young guys. Claypool was piss a number of times....and he’s been at this a total of 16 weeks. What I saw this afternoon.....no one is taking their assignments lightly.....they may miss them, but never because of apathy.

.....but we are 8-0

- - - Updated - - -

.....but we are 8-0
    Believe me, I’m thrilled that we’re 8-0 and I’m fine with living in that emotion.

At the same time, when we’re losing for most of the game to a 5th string QB and a defense that routinely gives up 40 points a game to teams we rightfully consider our inferior, I was imagining pulling out a win with some luck and late game heroics, and then having to hear Tomlin saying some shit like “style points don’t matter.” Yes, they fucking DO matter, because if you play out that scenario 100 times against better teams than that, all those 3 and outs and getting outplayed most of the game will result in losses.

What matters is winning the Super Bowl. That’s it, and we will not get there by playing this badly against most teams. We just won’t.

They should honestly be embarrassed by not being able to play a complete game against bad teams. They should focus on WHY that happened and not revel in the fact that it worked out.

I’ll be happy with results only when I see them hoisting the Lombardi. Then I won’t care about style points, but until then ALL POINTS matter. We have possibly a more complete roster than any team in football. Not soundly outperforming vastly less talented teams means some people are doing their jobs badly and being okay with that could cost us dearly if it’s forefront on the entire team’s and coaching staff’s minds.

One call that could have maybe gone the other way could have cost us the game. McCarthy not being a total conservative idiot could have cost us the game.

Leaving the game up to factors like that against the piece of shit Cowboys is unacceptable.

If we keep doing this it WILL hurt us and you won’t be happy when it happens against the fucking Ravens in the playoffs and that douchebag Harbaugh is the one saying “good thing style points don’t matter to the Steelers. Ha ha!”

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Deep ball accuracy or lack thereof is the cause and solution to what ails the offense. Cowboys played a single deep safety most of the second half and they couldn't be made to pay for it down the field outside the numbers. Until the Steelers can correct that, this is what every games gonna look like. No running room because of all the defenders rolled up. And "throw short and hope someone runs long" on offense. It can work, but you have no margin for error.

At some point the conversation needs to shift from "coaching" to a QB that's isn't accurate over 15 yards and a LG and C that aren't consistently making their blocks. Throw in a few blown blocks by the TE on the backside and, again, you leave no margin for error.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I'm not going to complain about them not playing up to their highest level. I don't know what it is, but every week after Ravens week they come out flat
    Ryan Clark said that Steelers-Ravens game is like a heavyweight fight. Lots of preparation for it and lots of hits taken, which normally means the following week most guys are still beat up and fatigued. Ravens didnt look good in Indy to start the day either.