Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers Trading CB Cam Sutton?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers Trading CB Cam Sutton?

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    After watching tonight's game I would trade Sutton in a second for Deion Jones.
    after tonight's game the Falcons won't trade Deion Jones for Cam Sutton.

6 tackles, 1 sack, 2 tfl and 3 QB hits.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sutton for Jones would've been highway robbery. I know I came out against the cap implications but Sutton for Jones would've gotten Colbert arrested for stealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    In what world does ANYONE agree to that? I mean look at the last several CBA negotiations. Players want way more of the revenue pie and owners are insistent on giving far far less.

There are two totally antithetical approaches. Ownership only cares about maximizing their profits. If that means they play with lesser players or a lower quality on field product, the majority of owners don't give a crap. Because what are the fans going to do -- watch the other trash football leagues? We, the fans, have demonstrated that we aren't going to do that! Players just want to get paid the most amount possible every year because they (rightly?) feel that with the high injury risk and the non guaranteed nature of most NFL contracts that they are one play away from never seeing another dime.

For this season, the original proposal by the owners was a 8-10% cap rollback with no mechanism to allow teams to get in compliance. That was a 15-20 million reduction in salary cap that the owners were just fine with. That would've meant almost every team in the league would have been forced to cut critical players in order to get compliant. Then have a shortened camp and no preseason to figure out how to make the new roster work. In the Steelers case that would have likely meant no Vance McDonald/Eric Ebron (pick one) and several other depth guys. Likely no D. Watt signing. Bottom line is that the original ownership proposal was made solely to protect their bottom line and with no regard to the impact on the on field product. The 2021+ salary cap floor compromise is more of the same, it just attempts to give teams and players a fighting chance to plan for it.

A more realistic approach would be a series of amnesty provisions:
    1. Each team can designate a "face of the franchise" and only have so much percent of the contract count towards the cap. Make the percentage the difference in what the 2021 cap is and what it would have been with normal revenues. So in the Steelers case, they wiggle out from Ben R's. massive contract hit.
    2. Be able to designate one player who just doesn't count. Either in a release or honoring the contract. Set a cap on how much this can be used for. Say like $ 8million or something. I don't know their are enough math nerds out there that could figure it out. Call it a "Vet Exception". This saves guys like VW job's across the league.
    3. Change the formula for franchise tag calculation. Take the average of the top 5 salaries like normal and then cut equal to the cap decrease. So if normally a $15 million franchise tag for OLB is 8% of total salary cap; then the 2021 would be whatever needs to bring the new # in line with that same 8% of total salary cap.

Smarter people than me can figure out the specifics and see if these are workable. What it would do is split NFL ownership into two camps. Those that are willing to spend money to win and put the best product on the field. And those that are just in this to make $$$.
    NFL love collusion. It's simple agree to a much lower cap. Cut players who will be forced to sign cheaper deals , owners save money

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Trading CB Cam Sutton?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ticket revenues are predicted to be down $4 billion. That's not coming out of the owners pockets.
    I e heard several people “in the know” and on radio shows say that the ticket revenue is like nothing to the owners. A drop in the bucket. So I’m not sure that loss is that big of a difference. The teams make the most of their money from the TV revenue...according to these radio shows.

I don’t recall hearing any owners begging to have stadiums re-opened. I know one of the major reasons that PA reopened part of the stadiums was because Wolf realized how much money the state was losing by not having some sort of fans in the stadiums and that is why he let people back in...

The largest game of the year and they’ve already announced that only 20% (15,000) will be allowed in the stadium. I feel that if they were so concerned about ticket sales (as a league), they would wait as long as they could before making the decision on how many people are allowed in the stadium. I could be way off base though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I e heard several people “in the know” and on radio shows say that the ticket revenue is like nothing to the owners. A drop in the bucket. So I’m not sure that loss is that big of a difference. The teams make the most of their money from the TV revenue...according to these radio shows.

I don’t recall hearing any owners begging to have stadiums re-opened. I know one of the major reasons that PA reopened part of the stadiums was because Wolf realized how much money the state was losing by not having some sort of fans in the stadiums and that is why he let people back in...

The largest game of the year and they’ve already announced that only 20% (15,000) will be allowed in the stadium. I feel that if they were so concerned about ticket sales (as a league), they would wait as long as they could before making the decision on how many people are allowed in the stadium. I could be way off base though.
    All I know is what I read.

"NFL revenue could fall as much as $4 billion in 2020, depending on factors such as how many fans can attend games, executives familiar with the matter said." -- https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...ff-11595592000

"So how deep is that hit? Well, the NFL and its ticket resale partners don’t reveal the revenue split on the tickets that get sold on the secondary market through partners. But industry insiders say it’s believed to be a considerable percentage of profits generated when NFL tickets are resold through a secondary partner. That means losing that second bite at ticket revenue will deepen the revenue loss tied to fans."

"League-wide, TicketiQ placed the value of lost ticket revenue in 2020 at $7 billion if no fans can attend NFL games." -- https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-will-ta...023150058.html

"Local revenue, which consists of ticket sales, concessions, and corporate sponsors, is earned by the teams themselves." -- https://www.investopedia.com/article...akes-money.asp

"An NFL team earned about $7 million, on average, in ticket sales from a single stadium event in 2016. About 55% of that revenue is used to pay athletes or musicians. 10% goes to general stadium administration, 5% goes to the team’s coaching staff, 5% is paid in taxes, and the remaining 8% are profit." -- https://www.investopedia.com/article...akes-money.asp

But since NFL teams and their financial partners don't make much, if any, of the relevant data public (nor should they); no one really has any idea how it breaks down. Overall, you and the "insiders" are correct based on the available information. Stadium revenues are a drop in the bucket. But the owners are not going to give a shit. I read that the initial $175 million "salary floor" was based on there not being a full 2020 season. Then it walks up from there. I have seen some sites that are projecting it at $185 million for 2021 based on the games played to date. Assume they play a complete season. That should move the cap up. But, no matter how small, there will be a revenue decrease based on ticket sales and stadium income. That's going to get passed on to the players. Heck, the owners wanted to pass it on PRIOR to the start of the 2020 season.

Even take the currently projected "best case scenario" for 2021 that the cap stays flat. Remember the last time that happened? Teams around the league were screwed. Competent and competitive teams spend right up to the cap every single year. It is what you need to do in order to give your franchise a chance at winning a SB. In order to make all that math work, teams count on a cap that rises annually by at least 5-7 million and for the last seven seasons (2013-2019) the cap has risen by at least 10 million. Take that cushion away, and it is going to get ugly.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

The math does fly very far

Local revenue, which consists of ticket sales, concessions, and corporate sponsors, is earned by the teams themselves. In 2018, the Packers earned $196 million in local revenue, 43% of their total revenue that year, which was $455 million.

Stadium holds what in average 60k average fan spends $200 seat plus food
    8 home games still only at around 100 mil for the whole season. Don't get me wrong it's a lot of money but hardy a huge hit to the total revenue. It's kind of like my wife being laid off it sucks but they'll manage. Haha but store brand brand and tp

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas