Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Balls and Goats (Titan's Game) Week #7

Re: Game Balls and Goats (Titan's Game) Week #7

Game Balls

As others have said. First half Steelers.

Goats.

Again, second half Steelers.

BUT, I have another goat. Ben R. And, no, it's not for his INTs. Only one was really a bad INT. I'm giving him a goat because for some reason, he's starting to ignore D-line in passing lanes again. I've seen more and more balls getting knocked down. I don't know why. Ben is 6-5. The linemen, at most, are usually a couple three inches taller if the same. Ben should be able to throw it right over them.

All said and done, however, something to remember is that both teams come to play football. Tennessee is a very good team, and Pittsburgh put up just enough points to weather their comeback. A win is a win no matter if it is by 1 point or 100 points.

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Over all ball did not seem to bounce our way until the very end.

Conner did good. Keeping Henry in check most of the game was good.

Dionte Johnson why was he the focus guy he did not have a good game. Neither did who ever 99 was. I know he was activated from the ps but he sucked

Mondeaux did alright, he had a good block on one TD run and played fine everywhere else. He had one offside for 5 yd penalty. No biggy. Sucked? No.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

I like that he tried to win. A field goal puts you up 6, but still in position to lose. I like the aggressiveness in that spot to try to seal the game.
    I check it down, make TEN use their 3rd timeout and kick the FG to go up by 6. Then make Tannehill go 75 yards against the Steelers defense with 2:40 left and no timeouts to win the game.

Its Tannehill, with no Taylor Lewan and only AJ Brown as a credible WR. Not like its Brady, Manning, Montana, etc.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerCountry58 View Post
    [/B] Mondeaux did alright, he had a good block on one TD run and played fine everywhere else. He had one offside for 5 yd penalty. No biggy. Sucked? No.
    I may not remember all very well but he did block nicely on a T D, but he seemed to get blown up a lot and for some reason I thought he took another penalty on special teams. Could be wrong but he did not impress me

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I check it down, make TEN use their 3rd timeout and kick the FG to go up by 6. Then make Tannehill go 75 yards against the Steelers defense with 2:40 left and no timeouts to win the game.

Its Tannehill, with no Taylor Lewan and only AJ Brown as a credible WR. Not like its Brady, Manning, Montana, etc.

I know, but this is the same team that already scored 17 second half points against this same defense...and 2:40 is plenty of time.

The way it worked out wasn't good, but I was OK with the thought process based on who was involved on the play and the game situation. I like trying to win it. If they didn't call offensive PI on the play to Claypool, I would have been all for going for it on 4th down to possibly seal the game there as well.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Who has a gif of Ben’s reaction to the missed FG?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Game balls, Conner TJ played lights out, the guy is on fire. Coachmen ng staff for saying all week Spillane was the guy no way they are moving edmunds around. Hahaha Vince and edmunds did a solid job

Goats, second half play calling letting them get back in it

If this were a true road game with a full crowd it might have went the other way

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I got it pretty close on the prediction thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    28-26 with Boz kicking the winning FG as time expires. Or the alternative ending of their K missing a last second FG.
    Not the way I wanted to see it go in the second half but it’s a road win against a 5-0 team. I’m laying off the goats, and I’m giving luck the game ball.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

People were asking for this in the GDT so here it is hot off the presses:

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Goat to CBS when the feed went down. Fire Phil Simms

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    Hire Simms back! I like him much better than Romo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Exactly. I thought the refs called a decent game. Besides, only losers blame others for their own failures, IMO.
    I thoughts several ball spots were very bad.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

Game Balls: Conner, Johnson, JuJu, Ebron and Spillane (nice job against a 5-0 team with a beast of a running back)

Goats: Ben (never leave points on the field trying to force a throw, twice), Minkah (poor angle and missed tackle on long TD, penalty to keep a drive alive and on the tipped ball reception instead of trying to grab it and run, just catch it or knock it down, instead big play for the Titans), Pass protection was not up to par today, the pocket seemed to get pushed into Ben's lap quite a bit.

Bizarre: Win the toss and take the ball? Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot (Would have loved the ball to start the second half after Ben's INT to end the 1st and you get a chance to either continue momentum or stop it if its going against you, there is no momentum at the start of the game)

Istina

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Istina View Post
    Game Balls: Conner, Johnson, JuJu, Ebron and Spillane (nice job against a 5-0 team with a beast of a running back)

Goats: Ben (never leave points on the field trying to force a throw, twice), Minkah (poor angle and missed tackle on long TD, penalty to keep a drive alive and on the tipped ball reception instead of trying to grab it and run, just catch it or knock it down, instead big play for the Titans), Pass protection was not up to par today, the pocket seemed to get pushed into Ben's lap quite a bit.

Bizarre: Win the toss and take the ball? Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot (Would have loved the ball to start the second half after Ben's INT to end the 1st and you get a chance to either continue momentum or stop it if its going against you, there is no momentum at the start of the game)

Istina
    I think the thought was if you take the ball to start the game and score a TD, you have a run heavy offense chasing you on the scoreboard all day. It worked out well. They took the ball, bled a ton of clock, and scored. Henry can not run through your LBers from the bench.

No idea if that was the actual thinking of the coaching staff, but that's what I came up with from my coach. It was out of character for them. Tomlin and the Steelers love to defer and usually break games open on a score at the end of half 1 and the opening drive of the second half.

They scored a TD on the opening drive and stopped TN on their second half opening drive. Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think the thought was if you take the ball to start the game and score a TD, you have a run heavy offense chasing you on the scoreboard all day. It worked out well. They took the ball, bled a ton of clock, and scored. Henry can not run through your LBers from the bench.

No idea if that was the actual thinking of the coaching staff, but that's what I came up with from my coach. It was out of character for them. Tomlin and the Steelers love to defer and usually break games open on a score at the end of half 1 and the opening drive of the second half.
    I think you're right and when you have a QB like Ben it makes that call easier. In general, I prefer the 2nd half kick to the first but I'm debating against a team and coach that is 6-0 right now so I don't have a leg to stand on.

Istina

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    They scored a TD on the opening drive and stopped TN on their second half opening drive. Win-win.
    Yup, can't argue with success, that's why Tomlin is the head coach and I'm an armchair coach.

Istina

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers won this game even if PIT were -3 in turnovers differenciel against a 5-0 team.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Titans were in this game because of 3 crazy bounces. First one is usually a INT for the Steelers, instead a Titan comes down with it and then they score. Second one is the Titans again get the bounce go their way and stop a Steelers drive. Third, is your top WR one on one with a LB in the endzone? And it ends up being a tip drill INT? That is a lot of things going their way. A couple of inches the other way and this is 34-10 Steelers.
    This.

However, 6-0 for the first time since 1978. I'll take it.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

This is exactly it. I saw Ben’s post game interview and he said that he told Tomlin he wanted the ball first because he was confident they’d open with a TD and from there make the Titans play from behind all game.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

That’s a bingo!!!

Think about this play as a microcosm for the second half of the game:
    -Bince decleats Tannehill
    -the ball is jarred loose
    -the Titans recover

Instead of getting a red-zone turnover, the Titans score. It seemed like every chance for a turnover for the Steelers was instead a positive play for the Titans. (Bince almost bats down a pass, Minkah has a good angle on the pass... but, instead, it’s a 75-yard TD.)

Meanwhile, it seemed that every ball that popped into the air became a Titans turnover. On one series, it was a slip by Conner on first down, a slip by DJ on second down, and an incomplete pass (I actually don’t recall the exact play on third down). Charles Davis kept lauding the Titans defense for “stopping” the Steelers. The Titans did very little to “stop” the Steelers; the grass “stopped” the Steelers on two of those downs on the aforementioned series.

ANALYSIS:
    Luck (to a degree) turned what could have been a 38-10 second-half blowout into a 27-24 nail biter.

SUMMATION:
    Despite Ben having his one “WTF game**” of the season we still won. I’ll take it.

**(he has one every season... and, it is now out of the way)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That’s a bingo!!!

-the Titans recover

Instead of getting a red-zone turnover, the Titans score. It seemed like every chance for a turnover for the Steelers was instead a positive play for the Titans. (Bince almost bats down a pass, Minkah has a good angle on the pass... but, instead, it’s a 75-yard TD.)

Meanwhile, it seemed that every ball that popped into the air became a Titans turnover. On one series, it was a slip by Conner on first down, a slip by DJ on second down, and an incomplete pass (I actually don’t recall the exact play on third down). Charles Davis kept lauding the Titans defense for “stopping” the Steelers. The Titans did very little to “stop” the Steelers; the grass “stopped” the Steelers on two of those downs on the aforementioned series.

ANALYSIS:
    Luck (to a degree) turned what could have been a 38-10 second-half blowout into a 27-24 nail biter.

SUMMATION:
    Despite Ben having his one “WTF game**” of the season we still won. I’ll take it.

Wow so happy you are back!!!!

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

The good was the first half offense and defense plus another nice return for Ray-Ray. Then Ben got greedy should have taken the underneath throws take the field goals and, one a couple of unlucky bounces one tip Titians got should have been picked. The second INT of Ben was off at tipped passed bad break. Nice drive at the end to almost seal the game hen got greedy JUJU almost made a great catch. Lucky brake their kicked missed it wide right but, sometimes it's better to be lucky then good. The steelers had a 20 point and, I'm glad we got the W. On to the ravens!

I would been more upset if the last pass of Ben would been a checkdown._..2:40 is a lot of time in the current nfl even with 0 timeout.._.The titans had a drive for a TD with less of 2 minutes last week and Tannahill is a very good QB since he is with the titans._.You need to play to win the game in the current nfl

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s a bingo!!!

-the Titans recover

ANALYSIS:

SUMMATION:

Ugh...you’re back...

Jk.

So do you think this was a “Ben WTF Game” or just a bad bounce game. I would love for this to be his WTF game but I still think that one is coming...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

ANALYSIS:
    But we had the luck when it mattered on that end of game FG attempt!

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

That 2nd half was clearly a disaster of epic proportions, but they still scrabbled out a win somehow. And you know what? I think that bad 2nd-half of play will benefit them. They're gonna be taken to the woodshed over giving up that monster 74-yd TD (looking at you, Minkah), for the -3 turnover margin, the penalties, and overall sloppiness from the 2nd half. Tomlin has already indicated as much.

Had the Ravens game followed the beatdown they had just administered to the Browns, then I'd be sure of a letdown game happening. Escaping Tennessee with a win after the bounces, the zebras, and the football gods all seemed determined to hand the game to the Titans I think will have them more focused and disciplined against Baltimore than they otherwise would be.

Oh yeah, and the game ball goes to Robert Spillane for that gorgeous pasting of Derrick Henry at the goal line. Way to sacrifice your body for the team!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So Teegre mentioned this already. But watch the long AJ Brown TD again. Minkah didn't take a bad angle. He took a great angle to play the batted ball he was sure was coming from VW. Somehow that pass threaded it's way through and MF had to reroute.

Just doubling back to give you credit for a good analysis, Ben said it was his call to take the ball and keep their offense on the sideline. He gambled on himself and won, good job Mojouw. They discussed the night before so the Steelers knew they were getting the ball first regardless of won the toss because you figure Tennessee defers if they win the toss.

Istina

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post

Boz looks like he's riding a pogo stick off the edge of a cliff

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So do you think this was a “Ben WTF Game” or just a bad bounce game. I would love for this to be his WTF game but I still think that one is coming...
    Good question.

The first INT in the end-zone seemed (to me) to be DJ running an out instead of an in. The second INT into the end-zone was a mismatch with a LB covering JuJu. Both of those seem like non-WTF throws.

Ben had several passes batted, which he does at times (it’s like he sometimes forgets to use his passing lanes). None of those seemed like WTF throws.

SUMMATION:
    Maybe you’re right. Maybe it wasn’t a “WTF game”.

That said, maybe the message was sent to Ben (and, in turn, he’ll avoid having a WTF game in the future).

So Teegre mentioned this already. But watch the long AJ Brown TD again. Minkah didn't take a bad angle. He took a great angle to play the batted ball he was sure was coming from VW. Somehow that pass threaded it's way through and MF had to reroute.
    My brother said the exact same thing.

Minkah was in good position for the straight-up INT (and at worst for them tackle). Then, Minkah thought that Bince would tip it; so, Minkah moved sideways to get the tip. But, the tip never occurred... and Minkah was just slightly out of position for the INT / standing at a wrong angle to make the tackle.

SUMMATION:
    There were three things that easily could have gone wrong for the Titans on that play... but, none of those occurred.