Thread: Eric Ebron Doing TE Things

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Eric Ebron Doing TE Things

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/10/fi...elers-offense/

I know I was pretty harsh on my evaluation of what Ebron brought to the table as a blocker. And as the article points out, these aren't devastating blocks or anything...but at least they are blocks.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Eric Ebron Doing TE Things

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/10/fi...elers-offense/

I know I was pretty harsh on my evaluation of what Ebron brought to the table as a blocker. And as the article points out, these aren't devastating blocks or anything...but at least they are blocks.
    Not all blocks need to be devastating to be effective. Ebron getting a seal on the ILB on the Conner run and then getting downfield on the defender in the Claypool run are both good jobs of using his feet to get him in position to block, then breaking down and getting his hands in the frame of the defender and driving.

The notion that an under performing 10th overall pick TE, who has never hit the 1 man blocking sled in his NFL career, was a finished product as a blocker and could not improve is a short sighted opinion. Coach James Daniel deserves some credit for actually being a coach that improved the blocking of a receiving TE, who it was thought could not block.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Not all blocks need to be devastating to be effective. Ebron getting a seal on the ILB on the Conner run and then getting downfield on the defender in the Claypool run are both good jobs of using his feet to get him in position to block, then breaking down and getting his hands in the frame of the defender and driving.

The notion that an under performing 10th overall pick TE, who has never hit the 1 man blocking sled in his NFL career, was a finished product as a blocker and could not improve is a short sighted opinion. Coach James Daniel deserves some credit for actually being a coach that improved the blocking of a receiving TE, who it was thought could not block.
    Yeah. I am totally eating it on my comments that Ebron wouldn't get better/more effective. In my defense, I was totally unaware that no one had ever made him hit a blocking sled since he entered the NFL. Honestly, the more I learn about how most NFL coaching staffs approach their jobs, the more I wonder how some of these teams ever win a game.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah. I am totally eating it on my comments that Ebron wouldn't get better/more effective. In my defense, I was totally unaware that no one had ever made him hit a blocking sled since he entered the NFL. Honestly, the more I learn about how most NFL coaching staffs approach their jobs, the more I wonder how some of these teams ever win a game.
    Big of you to openly admit your fixed mindset to Ebron learning a new skill/ability. Its really just learning and I think athletes in their 20's and 30's can easily learn to improve on areas they arent great at. Especially if they want to or are forced to and are in agreement to try.

Now, I honestly want to see Ebron learn to catch with his hands better than using his body so much.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Big of you to openly admit your fixed mindset to Ebron learning a new skill/ability. Its really just learning and I think athletes in their 20's and 30's can easily learn to improve on areas they arent great at. Especially if they want to or are forced to and are in agreement to try.

Now, I honestly want to see Ebron learn to catch with his hands better than using his body so much.
    That seems reasonable and almost certainly accurate. So...this is totally off topic...but if we take Ebron at his word (and why not?); why did no coach/staff every just sit him in front of a blocking sled and have him do what the Steelers did this off-season? Like what in the world were they doing instead? Further, if that didn't happen in Detroit and Indy -- what else is not getting worked on across the league? How many "busts" of players is just poor coaching and training? Not that I expect anyone to have the answers...but it sure seems like the NFL is not always as good at NFL things as they claim to be...

That seems reasonable and almost certainly accurate. So...this is totally off topic...but if we take Ebron at his word (and why not?); why did no coach/staff every just sit him in front of a blocking sled and have him do what the Steelers did this off-season? Like what in the world were they doing instead? Further, if that didn't happen in Detroit and Indy -- what else is not getting worked on across the league? How many "busts" of players is just poor coaching and training? Not that I expect anyone to have the answers...but it sure seems like the NFL is not always as good at NFL things as they claim to be...
    Maybe at Detroit and Indy, they weren't after Ebron being a blocker, but hoped that he was a game changer in the passing game? Maybe those respective TE coaches just took him for the skillset that he had and never demanded more accountability for him becoming a better blocker.

I think there are a lot of busts of players that are put in situations they are not ready for, or they are not given the time to develop or coaching. Why else do you think that some guys become better players with an occasional change of scenery after the first few years in the league? Some of that is on the player IMO, if they take the failure as indictment of their skill as s football player, or as motivation to improve in an area they are not great at.

I mentioned Carol Dweck and the book Mindset to you before. Its possible for coaches to have a fixed or growth mindset as well and I think that can affect the development of players they coach.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

there is also the square peg round hole approach some guys get stuck in ... we see a carousel of coaches come in and out of several organizations year after year or every few years , coordinator changes too this is huge especially on the def side of the ball ...

specifically 3-4 to 4-3 guys front 7 players can get stuck in systems that just do not fit their skill set all that well , same at the backend ... some DBs are pretty much Man guys or zone guys not everyone is interchangeable like say Haden who can play either

if you are one of those players you could be tagged as a bust or a poor value player when the fact is they are stuck in a system that simply does not lend itself to their skillset ...

offense can be more forgiving unless you are talking QB and Linemen ...West coast QB wont flourish running a system such as the Steelers run , outside zone blockers would do well in a power based scheme , but WRs , RBs ( for the most part ) and move TE's can play just about anywhere and find success as long as they have decent QB play
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now