Thread: Bud Dupree in the last 21 games

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Bud Dupree in the last 21 games

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Bud Dupree in the last 21 games

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m thinking he will get tagged again.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone watched his pod cast? I want to say it’s call Bud’s buds......but that not it. He interviewed T.J. really funny.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I’m thinking he will get tagged again.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone watched his pod cast? I want to say it’s call Bud’s buds......but that not it. He interviewed T.J. really funny.
    Bud Brought a Buddy. Yeah, he had Minkah on the first one. Funny stuff.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

How hard would anyone be willing to cut cap space out of the rest of the roster to keep Dupree? Assume it was a sure thing that he played like he is for 4 more seasons. Takes 12-16 million per to get it done.

Would anyone part with VW, Haden, McDonald, and Pouncey to keep Dupree? I mean with the low 2021 cap, they might be parting with those dudes anyways. But those are the guys that can give you massive amounts of cap space.

Haden reclaims $15.75 million in 2021 space
    Pouncey can get you $8 million in space
    Vance brings back $5 million
    Vince gets back $4 million

I mean 2021 Dupree might be a more valuable piece to the roster than Pouncey+Vance+VW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    How hard would anyone be willing to cut cap space out of the rest of the roster to keep Dupree? Assume it was a sure thing that he played like he is for 4 more seasons. Takes 12-16 million per to get it done.

Would anyone part with VW, Haden, McDonald, and Pouncey to keep Dupree? I mean with the low 2021 cap, they might be parting with those dudes anyways. But those are the guys that can give you massive amounts of cap space.

I mean 2021 Dupree might be a more valuable piece to the roster than Pouncey+Vance+VW.
    Hopefully Ben will have a short-term extension that will lower his cap hit in 2021

And I also hope that the salary cap will not be low as many think ... The Saints are over 80 millions for the 2021 season!

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I did not realize Haden had a cap hit that large that could be reclaimed. Out of that list of players, for next year I think Vance McDonald will be gone regardless, and even though I hate to say it Haden might have to go at that cap charge just due to the circumstances of a reduced cap next year.

The thing is though, if most teams start dumping guys to get under the cap in the offseason, there is going to be glut of good layers on the market that will not be able to sign lucrative deals with new teams, because only a very few teams will have money to spend.

If Bud keeps going strong, I think some team will give him a 4-year, $80M contract. I don't think the Steelers can match that with TJ coming due for his next contract, unless the Steelers want to have an inordinate amount of money invested in their outside LB duo. I suppose it is possible that both TJ and Bud could take hometown discounts to both stay with the Steelers so that they can both play together, but I think that is just wishful thinking on my part.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

How much would DeCastro bring?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    How much would DeCastro bring?
    8.75 million.

8.75 million.
    As much as I love him, I would consider DeCastro in that mix...but it would hurt...

we need to let the season finished...A lot of things can happen with 11 games left and likely the playoffs

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I say they find a way to keep him.

Assume there is a $175 million cap next season. The Steelers are currently 27 million over that figure.

They need to clear that space plus the following:
    A couple million for draft picks
    A 3-5 million contingency for in season moves

So they are looking at having to clear like 25-30 million in cap space. Plus Juju, Conner, Dupree, and AV -- assuming they want to sign any of those dudes.

Now, a ton of places are now projecting the 2021 cap to be at least 185 million and there is some indication it will go up from there. Steelers need it to be close to 200-205 million to have a chance at using the usual tricks and moves to free up enough cap to even consider offering Dupree the tag without basically cutting everyone.

I would love to get another few seasons of Watt and Dupree, but I just don't see how the math can work. I also have not been able to see how the NFL is going to calculate the salary cap. Assume we get a full season and playoffs with limited fans, is that enough to just do the cap like usual? Or do the need full stadiums across the league?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I’d let Juju and AV walk and Conner would depend on if he stays healthy. Dupree, playing it this level is way less replaceable than those dudes. Those, plus some restructures should make it work.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Juju, Conner, and AV would be last priority for me. If I'm not mistaken, Mike Hilton is on the last season of his deal, as well as Tyson Alu Alu. Offer Dupree a 3 or 4 year deal and then make Hilton and Alu Alu the next priority. Imo, we can replace Juju and Conner's production through the draft or free agency for a cheaper price. I'm all for keeping this defense together and keeping the window slightly open for the remainder of Ben's contract. If he retires when it's up then he should free up some space to resign our younger players like Minkah and Devin Bush, while still having Bud around.

The team needs to clear somewhere between 20-25 million dollars at a minimum BEFORE it can even offer contracts to its own free agents. This article kinda sums it up if you can stick with it long enough -- https://steelersdepot.com/2020/09/ea...pshot-preview/

Bottom line, unless the league does something dramatic to alter the 2021 cap landscape and rules the Steelers are not signing anyone. The Steelers (and like 75% of the league) better hope that the cap # comes in closer to 200 million than 175 million. If it is the lower number, AV, VW, McDonald, Juju, Conner, Hilton, Feiler, and Dupree are all as good as gone.

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

Not Pouncey, not because he can't be replaced but because of his relationship with Ben. I want Pouncey around as long as Ben is willing to play. I would see what DeCastro would bring. Dotson has been playing very good football for a rookie. Haden, Vance and Vince are easy if Dupree stays a Steeler.

I hope the NFL does the right thing and gives all the teams a chance to retain their players by putting the cap number at a place that will allow for teams to be creative and keep their talent if they want to.

Istina

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I say they find a way to keep him.
    After looking at the players we’d have to give up to keep Bud, it’s really a no brainer.
    Young athletic LB that can get to the QB, making plays, impacting games, and hustling to make plays consistently.
    Very valuable commodity in the NFL.
    My biggest gripe with Bud was playing soft, loafing, giving up on plays.
    Not seeing any of that this year.

Also have to remember that as of right now, Ben's cap number is 40 million and next year is his last year. My guess is he re-signs and brings down that number by a few million at least. We get around 9 million back in dead money as well. Either Vance Williams or Ebron will be gone as they're about the same against the cap.

But, if they do cut the cap by 27 million or so, my guess is there's going to be a special deal in place between the NFLPA, or there'll be a lot of veterans out of work come next year because there's only a handful of teams that'll be able to afford them.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Also have to remember that as of right now, Ben's cap number is 40 million and next year is his last year. My guess is he re-signs and brings down that number by a few million at least. We get around 9 million back in dead money as well. Either Vance Williams or Ebron will be gone as they're about the same against the cap.

But, if they do cut the cap by 27 million or so, my guess is there's going to be a special deal in place between the NFLPA, or there'll be a lot of veterans out of work come next year because there's only a handful of teams that'll be able to afford them.
    They're going to have to do some sort of amnesty or some such thing. No teams are structured to deal with a massive cap decrease.

They're going to have to do some sort of amnesty or some such thing. No teams are structured to deal with a massive cap decrease.
    Yep. I was wondering if perhaps the NFLPA might offer a certain percent reduction in overall salary, perhaps as a bargaining chip to amend the CBA to shorten the window for a 17 game season from three years to two years? Three to one?

Or, perhaps they wave cap penalties this year for guaranteed bonuses and signing bonuses. Although, on that one, only signing bonuses really make sense as that doesn't mean money out of the pocket like guaranteed bonuses will.

Who knows?

Yep. I was wondering if perhaps the NFLPA might offer a certain percent reduction in overall salary, perhaps as a bargaining chip to amend the CBA to shorten the window for a 17 game season from three years to two years? Three to one?

Or, perhaps they wave cap penalties this year for guaranteed bonuses and signing bonuses. Although, on that one, only signing bonuses really make sense as that doesn't mean money out of the pocket like guaranteed bonuses will.

Who knows?
    All of those could be options. I keep thinking how the NBA awhile ago negotiated some tools to let teams clean up their cap sheets. I think it was after labor strife bit kind of a similar situation. If something isn't done guys making 5-10 million per are going to get cut left and right. Replaced with bet minimum and rookie deals.

Teams think depth is hard now. Wait till the front office says there's no money to shore up roster holes.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Nailed it.