Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakdowns on Robert Spillane

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Breakdowns on Robert Spillane

First I watched some college highlights (why not?): https://youtu.be/6bcYWTAERnM

Then I watched/read this breakdown from the Browns game: https://steelersdepot.com/2020/10/fi...versus-browns/

And my dumb football brain is starting to feel better about Spillane's chances. Perhaps I am easily influenced by highlights and what-not. BUT...Spillane seems to be a more well rounded LB than I thought. I honestly wrote him off as a "ST GUY" that you do NOT want playing on defense. A category for me that is highlighted by guys like Dangerfield and Matakevich. Just every time they are forced on the field on actual defense, teams isolate and exploit them. I am by no means arguing that Spillane is amazing or anything or not a downgrade compared to Devin Bush - but maybe he is a more positive starting point than Sean Spence and company....?

Thought I would post and try and start a discussion on the Steelers new linebacker.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Breakdowns on Robert Spillane

It's obvious the steelers have more options and also more confidence than they did in 2017 when they lost Shazier.

They signed no one after Bush's injury so far ... After Shazier's injury in 2017 they signed Spence immediately after and we saw why Spence was still on the streets

And even though the Browns had no tapes on him, Spillane showed some good thing in the second half against Cleveland ... We'll see how he's gonna be in the next few weeks and my two concerns are communication and coverage but I have hope he is an NFL caliber player in defense

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I liked Spillane from day one, but I liked Spence and Red from day one alsö. Hoping this guy will find his way with the Bush injury.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Hoping Dupree can set the edge, that is honestly his worst issue sometimes. If he can get that done, push Henry inside, then Spillane will be fine. I am pretty sure we are going to dare Tannehill to beat us and stop the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I liked Spillane from day one, but I liked Spence and Red from day one alsö. Hoping this guy will find his way with the Bush injury.
    Okay, what's with the umlauts?

And, there's no harm done liking Spence from day one. That knee injury most likely flattened his trajectory and thus, shortened his career.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Spillane is an all effort guy that appears to play the game well from a technique standpoint, which puts him in the right places. The reality is that he is limited as an athlete in coverage. His 4.77 and 32.5" vertical at his pro day show what kind of athlete he is, but tape shows that he appears to do the right things in zone coverage to tighten down the throwing windows. I still think the Steelers will look at somebody else in dime to be on the field.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Okay, what's with the umlauts?

And, there's no harm done liking Spence from day one. That knee injury most likely flattened his trajectory and thus, shortened his career.
    sorry Preach I now have a Swedish keyboard.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

sorry Preach I now have a Swedish keyboard.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Shazier's injury was devastating on the field as well as off it. When Shazier got injured, it was unknown if he will ever be able to walk or talk ever again. He could not be around his teammates for months.

Devin Bush is dealing with an ACL. His on-field presence will be missed, but he can still interact with his teammates and be around the coaches on the sidelines as another coach.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I still think we should be exploring an Avery Williamson trade with the Jets. He's 28 and his cap hit come off the books next year so he could be a rental for one year which would allow Bush to come back and he would be free to sign anywhere he wanted. Win win. The Jets season is over anyhow, I'm sure they would take a late round pick for him.

Yeah I know it's hard to bring a guy in mid season but if we lose another LB to injury we are toast.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    First I watched some college highlights (why not?): https://youtu.be/6bcYWTAERnM
    Who picks the music for these videos? Horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Who picks the music for these videos? Horrible.
    I know, right? I immediately mute all highlight videos.

In all seriousness, I wonder if it relates to how much it costs to license music? I fully expect some videos just use stuff without paying, but maybe some do and the music budget is not large?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I really liked Spence too. He was dealt a bad hand. That injury was pretty much a career ender for an ILB.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

The Steelers have had terrible luck in keeping their small/speedy linebackers(Shazier, Spence, Bush) healthy. I guess that's the price you pay for drafting undersized backers who can run sideline to sideline. I'm not arguing the picks, because Shazier and Bush were/are great talents, but the outcome is almost inevitable it seems.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

looks like an arm tackler. good run defender. but man to man coverage that Bush was able to do will be lost

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I know, right? I immediately mute all highlight videos.

In all seriousness, I wonder if it relates to how much it costs to license music? I fully expect some videos just use stuff without paying, but maybe some do and the music budget is not large?
    i'm sounding like my parents more and more these days. music nowadays is trash

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    The Steelers have had terrible luck in keeping their small/speedy linebackers(Shazier, Spence, Bush) healthy. I guess that's the price you pay for drafting undersized backers who can run sideline to sideline. I'm not arguing the picks, because Shazier and Bush were/are great talents, but the outcome is almost inevitable it seems.
    Naa, Shazier's injury had nothing to do with his size. He lowered his head into tackles. Bush and Spence both had bad knee injuries. That comes from twisting wrong, falling wrong, bad footing, so on and so forth. In all honesty, the bigger risk is not size but leg extension strength, at least according to this study. Note, though, that study was with non-contact sports. But it does show a connection. Another study looking at knee injuries across sports, and found most in skiing, football, basketball, and soccer. Note that only one is a contact sport. From this study, the injuries come more from loading the knee with torque while running, turning, so on and so forth. A couple of interesting gems from this article, learning better body position and focusing on strengthening hamstrings over quads are very important in cutting down such injuries

tl;dr, the issue really isn't smaller frames. It's muscle strength and bad body positioning.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Naa, Shazier's injury had nothing to do with his size. He lowered his head into tackles. Bush and Spence both had bad knee injuries. That comes from twisting wrong, falling wrong, bad footing, so on and so forth. In all honesty, the bigger risk is not size but leg extension strength, at least according to this study. Note, though, that study was with non-contact sports. But it does show a connection. Another study looking at knee injuries across sports, and found most in skiing, football, basketball, and soccer. Note that only one is a contact sport. From this study, the injuries come more from loading the knee with torque while running, turning, so on and so forth. A couple of interesting gems from this article, learning better body position and focusing on strengthening hamstrings over quads are very important in cutting down such injuries

tl;dr, the issue really isn't smaller frames. It's muscle strength and bad body positioning.
    Agreed. Thinking the injuries to Shazier, Spence and Bush are "inevitable" due to their size is just a silly statement. Most of the NFL has shifted to smaller and faster ILB's. Also, none of those guys got hurt because they were tackling somebody bigger than them.

Spillane had a Huge goal line stop on Henry, didn’t even notice if he came back in after, hopefully he will be fine, but he played well.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Spillane had a Huge goal line stop on Henry, didn’t even notice if he came back in after, hopefully he will be fine, but he played well.
    He was back in. Made a play later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He was back in. Made a play later on.
    Nice, didn’t notice with the craziness at the end lol

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Nice, didn’t notice with the craziness at the end lol
    How could you? Lol.

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

Spillane played pretty good overall. That collision with Henry was nasty. Hope his shoulder is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerCountry58 View Post
    Spillane played pretty good overall. That collision with Henry was nasty. Hope his shoulder is ok.
    He came back into the game.

Yes but this scare should make us realize we need to make a move and pick up a LB.

I’d like to see them sure up that position but I feel like it’s just not one of those things they do until absolutely necessary...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

that hit on henry earned him a nickname, spearlane

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Spillane more than held his own. The best thing you can say is the Steelers didn't miss Bush during the Titans game. Henry would have ran over Bush, Spillane meet Henry in the hole and stopped him cold.

Looking ahead Spillane could replace Vince Williams, who has a very high 2021 cap number While Spillane isn't big or fast, he is an alert player who tackles well with fair speed. We can win with him playing in the defense.

Might want to see the kid play more than a few dozen snaps and have one good hit before we annoint him as a starter in waiting.

I'd also be hesitant to hustle the guy leading the league in tackles for loss by 3+ while playing in one less game than most other league leaders off the roster.

Let's see how Spillane does with Lamar Jackson's' otherworldly speed and Mark Andrews playmaking between the hashes before we pencil him in as an annual starter.

Kid went undrafted and got cut a few times for a reason.