Thread: The jet motion scheme has made the Steelers tougher to defend in 2020

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The jet motion scheme has made the Steelers tougher to defend in 2020

The Matt Canada effect is in full swing throughout the first 5 games of the 2020 regular season.

Among the many exciting developments of the Steelers’ 5-0 start this season has been the evolution of the offense. While Ben Roethlisberger’s return and the addition of dynamic rookie Chase Claypool have largely dominated the conversation, assistant coach Matt Canada has had an impact as well. If you’ve felt the offense has looked different in 2020 than in previous years, you’re not alone. Canada’s imprint has been all over it, most notably in its use of pre-snap motion.

After years of ranking in the bottom half of the league in terms of pre-snap movement, the Steelers were sixth heading into last week’s game against Cleveland. I watched every snap of their offense against the Browns and their previous opponent, the Philadelphia Eagles. Unofficially, I counted 22 variations of such movements involving wide receivers, running backs and tight ends. Some were simple “yo-yo” actions where a receiver motioned into the formation and then went back out to where he started. Others were far more exotic, involving multiple players moving in myriad ways.

The movement which has attracted the most attention so far this season is jet motion. The Steelers have implemented jet in a variety of ways, using it as both a decoy to distract defenders and as a means of getting the football quickly to the perimeter. Canada, who earned a reputation as a motion guru while a college offensive coordinator, is largely responsible for its inclusion in the game-plan. He used it everywhere he went, from his power-run offense at Wisconsin to his read-option scheme at Northern Illinois to his multiple pro and spread offense at Pitt. Why, though? What advantage does it create? And why has it been so effective? This article looks at the jet scheme and how the Steelers have utilized it in 2020.

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...y-fichtner-nfl

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The jet motion scheme has made the Steelers tougher to defend in 2020

Watching that clip, and seeing it over the past few weeks, McDonald is turning into a very good blocker. I’m thinking he’s going to come off of some of those blocks and catch critical passes.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you see AV moving around?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The only bad thing I can come up with is that they really only do a bunch of motion on running plays. At some point that is a tendency they will have to counter, right? Even if the motion holds the LBs or whatever, I can not imagine having such an obvious "tell" that it is a running play of some sort can be a good thing...so jet motion play action (whatever the right name for it may be) has to become a thing a couple of times...I think.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The only bad thing I can come up with is that they really only do a bunch of motion on running plays. At some point that is a tendency they will have to counter, right? Even if the motion holds the LBs or whatever, I can not imagine having such an obvious "tell" that it is a running play of some sort can be a good thing...so jet motion play action (whatever the right name for it may be) has to become a thing a couple of times...I think.
    I agree and I think it will come....Maybe in the game against the Ravens!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m thinking that’s up to Ben. Those guys are running routes, and I’m sure he can change the play.....just with cadence.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hasn't Canada coached every RB except Benny Snell at least one year in college?

Conner
    McFarland
    Samuels

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Conner
    McFarland
    Samuels
    Is that true? Pretty remarkable if it is accurate...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Conner
    McFarland
    Samuels
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Is that true? Pretty remarkable if it is accurate...
    2013-15 NC State OC and QB Coach with Samuels
    2016 Pitt OC and QB coach with Conner
    2018 Maryland OC and QB coach with McFarland

Maybe coincidentally, but Canada's tenure also aligns with each players "best" college season. Conner had arguably better stats prior to Canada's arrival. But he certainly didn't get worse...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

2013-15 NC State OC and QB Coach with Samuels
    2016 Pitt OC and QB coach with Conner
    2018 Maryland OC and QB coach with McFarland

Maybe coincidentally, but Canada's tenure also aligns with each players "best" college season. Conner had arguably better stats prior to Canada's arrival. But he certainly didn't get worse...
    One more:

2012 Wisconsin OC/QB Coach with Derek Watt