Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Browns Have a Baker Mayfield Problem, and It’s Not Getting Any Better

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Browns Have a Baker Mayfield Problem, and It’s Not Getting Any Better

In Cleveland’s loss to the Steelers on Sunday, the third-year QB showed exactly why there’s still such a big chasm between the Browns and the contenders in the AFC North

read more

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/1...elers-benching

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: The Browns Have a Baker Mayfield Problem, and It’s Not Getting Any Better

Interesting read and not totally wrong. But there is something "off" with the Browns. How they can not get the ball consistently to what are two of the most talented WRs in the entire league is confusing. Is it playcalling? Is it protection? Is it Baker just not seeing things? Is it Baker being too conservative? I have no idea. Why would I watch a bunch of Browns games?

But something just doesn't add up. I guess Baker being super not good is as good of an explanation as any!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

He is not that good when pressured even a little.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    That sums up what I was trying to ramble on about earlier. Rookie year Baker Mayfield - that guy was gonna be good. He played fast, loose, and fearless. Ripped off throws to his playmakers and let them help him be successful. Someone broke that guy and now we have this version of Mayfield. That takes too long to think, doesn't trust his guys to make plays for him, and gets rattled all the time.

So did he get hit too much? Did 2019 Freddie Kitchens just destroy his confidence?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Browns are gonna brown. Who has that jersey picture of all the Cleveland QBs in the last 10 years with a paper list going to the floor?
    All Defense!

Another one and Shannon is right on this,Baker is a true front runner!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That sums up what I was trying to ramble on about earlier. Rookie year Baker Mayfield - that guy was gonna be good. He played fast, loose, and fearless. Ripped off throws to his playmakers and let them help him be successful. Someone broke that guy and now we have this version of Mayfield. That takes too long to think, doesn't trust his guys to make plays for him, and gets rattled all the time.

So did he get hit too much? Did 2019 Freddie Kitchens just destroy his confidence?
    Baker had his moments in his rookie season but at the same time against the teams with a winning record, he was not good ... Todd Haley had been fired too in midseason because Baker was bad in the first half of the season.

Also, in the 2019 offseason, I found that Baker lacked too much maturity especially after only a 7-8-1 season in 2018 and now he has lost his confidence.I was not surprised that the Browns had a bad season in 2019 even if they were very talented since they were was too much immature.Actions on the field is much more important what you say

This year, I predicted the Browns were going to be a playoff team if Baker isn't terrible .... They could still make the playoffs even if Baker can't step up when this is the time but it's going to be more difficult.It will be hard for the browns to beat the steelers and the ravens if Baker can't step up in his big matchup.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

NFL teams got enough tape to figure out what he can't do, and they force him to do it.

He can't read defenses. If he m knows the defense presnap, he's OK. If the defense changes after the snap or disguises the defense and he doesn't recognize it before the snap....he's lost. He literally doesn't know what to do with the ball and has to try to improvise and see the open man and see the throw. If he isn't able to do it at all by now, I'm not sure how much better he can get at it.

Teams study 1000's of hours of tape to find the weaknesses of every quarterback in the league. They have a book on him, and he hasn't shown that he can go beyond that point mentally.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

He's a middle of the road QB. Will look great when things are going good, but don't expect him to carry the team if the running game isn't going

Imagine if the Browns had Burrow...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Imagine if the Browns had Burrow...
    Just another QB, I truly believe it’s systemic. I don’t even want to try to understand it. On paper, there is no way we should have trashed them the way we did.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Everything said I see the Browns winning and covering the spread this week.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

This is what I thought of Mayfield pre draft 2018. Still pretty much in belief of that.

I am of the belief that Mayfield will need time to progress to being a comfortable NFL pocket passer, as when he sets his feet, squares up and throws he has a compact delivery with good velocity on intermediate passes. I think when he gets the footwork and mechanics of a NFL offense down that he reminds me of the skillset of Bruce Gradkowski more than Drew Brees. That being said, his personal antics and actions look like somebody that is immature or more impulsive than intelligent, so that rarely ends up lasting long in the NFL and those concerns make me think teams will move on from his antics around his 5th season in the NFL.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/27580-Steelers-Send-Scouts-To-Watch-Top-QB-Prospect/page11?highlight=prospect

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    This is what I thought of Mayfield pre draft 2018. Still pretty much in belief of that.

I am of the belief that Mayfield will need time to progress to being a comfortable NFL pocket passer, as when he sets his feet, squares up and throws he has a compact delivery with good velocity on intermediate passes. I think when he gets the footwork and mechanics of a NFL offense down that he reminds me of the skillset of Bruce Gradkowski more than Drew Brees. That being said, his personal antics and actions look like somebody that is immature or more impulsive than intelligent, so that rarely ends up lasting long in the NFL and those concerns make me think teams will move on from his antics around his 5th season in the NFL.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/27580-Steelers-Send-Scouts-To-Watch-Top-QB-Prospect/page11?highlight=prospect
    Very good evaluation by you!

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

There was some solid stuff by many in that thread. You were consistent and unwavering on your dislike of Baker as a prospect. Many people like Josh Allen. Lamar Jackson was polarizing. Rosen was viewed by myself and others as the best prospect in the class.

I did get this right kind of about Baker: "Wait - Baker Mayfield is being talked about to run an actual NFL franchise? You gotta be putting me on! That guy has no mechanics. Like zero. I don't know much more than jack squat about QB play, but I know just enough to get me into trouble. Mayfield's feet are a hot mess and what is with that weird hip rotation at the end of his throwing motion? Looks like he is trying to rotate out of the throw. Hardly any of those throws anticipated windows or routes. It is all reaction - nothing much looks planned.

Contrast that with Mahomes. If you watch his preseason stuff this year and even some of his college stuff, his feet at least look "right". Mayfield looks like someone never explained to him the mechanics of playing the position and just hoped his athleticism would get him by."

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The Browns are in a class by themselves when it comes to picking quarterbacks! It's awesome to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The Browns are in a class by themselves when it comes to picking quarterbacks! It's awesome to watch.
    They had also the chance to draft Watson in 2017 but they have traded this pick....

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

They had also the chance to draft Watson in 2017 but they have traded this pick....
    Yes, but to be fair there were a lot of Steeler fans that thought Watson was over hyped and would not have picked him if Watson fell to the Steelers in that draft. I remember a thread that specifically mentioned that scenario and the majority of fans were passing on Watson and didnt think he would be productive in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

All things equal, Watson probably doesn't fare much better with the Browns anyway. The Hugh Jackson/Todd Haley teams were terrible. Greg Williams didn't help out struggling QBs either. Over-rated OBJ would still be throwing his sideline tantrums. I think Stafanski is a move in the right direction and Watson would probably be doing better than Mayfield this season but I don't think by much.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    All things equal, Watson probably doesn't fare much better with the Browns anyway. The Hugh Jackson/Todd Haley teams were terrible. Greg Williams didn't help out struggling QBs either. Over-rated OBJ would still be throwing his sideline tantrums. I think Stafanski is a move in the right direction and Watson would probably be doing better than Mayfield this season but I don't think by much.
    I don't think that Bill O'Brien was much better....

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don't think that Bill O'Brien was much better....
    Yeah, I don't think Baker would have been as good as Watson for the Texans either, even with Hopkins.

Mayfield is coming back to earth against the raiders after his best game of his NFL career last week....