Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers’ LB Devin Bush tore his ACL

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Steelers’ LB Devin Bush tore his ACL

It sux but definitely not a Shazier loss.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Cool fact: Spillane’s grandfather won the 1953 Heisman. He then played for the Steelers in 1954 as their first round pick and made the Pro Bowl. Only season he played in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

With King Henry and career rejuvenated Tannehill on deck as well. That sucks hard.

We can only hope Spillane isn't a complete stiff. He did pretty good today in absense of Bush.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Cool fact: Spillane’s grandfather won the 1953 Heisman. He then played for the Steelers in 1954 as their first round pick and made the Pro Bowl. Only season he played in the NFL.
    Cool story.....and then he went on to write detective novels.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, if we can slow Henry I think we can beat the Titans, Henry has over 250yds today.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Any reports of what Hilton's shoulder injury was like? Layne had to come in and Nelson play in the slot.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Next week will be a good measuring stick. Remember they Titans defense isn't great they gave up 36 points to Houston today. Losing Bush is going to hurt in stopping Henry. The key to Henry is bottling him up early. If he gets in open space you're screwed.

I don't see them winning on the road next week.

Titans OT Taylor Lewan may have a torn ACL too. Sucks for him.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It is going to really interesting to see how the team handles this. Everyone with eyes could see that this was the shallowest position on the entire roster. And to be totally fair to the team it isn't like any NFL team is just loaded with sideline to sideline 4 down MLBs. I really hope the plan isn't to just run Spillane out there and hope for the best. I acknowledge that I don't know a great deal about Spillane, but I suspect he isn't the guy to do all the same stuff that Bush does.

I am curious to see what Tomlin/Butler/Austin come up with. They are going to have to patch something with duct tape out of a combination of Spillane/UG3/Allen/Davis/Edmunds/Sutton all taking a portion of what Bush does. All that while NOT having the personnel you put on the field be an obvious cue to the offense about what play to run.

It will not be an easy transition.
    I don’t know if this is anything that anyone considered but it will definitely help with the loss of Bush and maybe make the loss a little less of an impact that we think it will be...Minkah is still back there and he’s still back there making sure people are in the right spots. So whether it’s Spillane, a free agent, next man up, whoever, they are most likely at the very least set up to be in the right place...then they just have to make the play. I can’t help but think that this was the case with Spillane yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Man that bites and, after watching it looked serious.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Titans OT Taylor Lewan may have a torn ACL too. Sucks for him.
    Hardly anyone even mentioned this and I saw this on Twitter.

Not sure who the backup is but they will have their hands full.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Any reports of what Hilton's shoulder injury was like? Layne had to come in and Nelson play in the slot.
    I didn't hear much postgame about Hilton's injury.

I heard Layne did come in but I only saw Sutton after Hilton got hurt. Didn't realize Nelson was playing the slot.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I see this as a opportunity for a backup to step up. This defense has been built with depth and versatility in mind. Until there is a reason to panic, let's trust the process. Sucks for Bush but he'll be back and probably be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I didn't hear much postgame about Hilton's injury.

I heard Layne did come in but I only saw Sutton after Hilton got hurt. Didn't realize Nelson was playing the slot.
    When they went dime and would normally have Sutton and Hilton in the game is when they put Layne on the outside and moved Nelson inside. I have a feeling that Hilton could miss a couple weeks with an AC joint.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers’ LB Devin Bush tore his ACL

Here’s a question:

On a scale of 1-11, defensively and 1 being the worst, how bad is the Bush season ending injury?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Here’s a question:

On a scale of 1-11, defensively and 1 being the worst, how bad is the Bush season ending injury?
    I don't think that it will be bad like 2017 but it will be a challenge especially in the next few weeks, since it may take some time to adjust.It will depend on their replacement if they are NFL caliber player or not

I say 5 or 6 for now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here’s a question:

To me, it all comes down to what UG3 brings to the table. I took a look at Bush and UG3's combine/pro day #'s side by side. UG3 is slower and less explosive by a tenth here and tenth there across the board. But he does have an overall athletic profile that isn't awful.

This scouting report is not all that bad: https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/20...s-gilbert-iii/

But either he didn't get a hat on game-days because Allen and Spillane are better special teams players and the Steelers were rolling the dice on LB depth OR UG3 has been passed on the depth chart by a converted safety (which might not be that big of knock) and a journeyman special teamer type.

I guess I am at a 6 with the willingness to go to a 3 immediately on seeing defensive breakdowns.

I also wonder if Sean Davis has a role to play? I am not going to argue he is the total solution or without problems to his game, but he has shown that he can be sturdy enough to play around the LOS. Could he be active as a "dimebacker" or whatever role they keep trying to find people for and never doing...

To me, it all comes down to what UG3 brings to the table. I took a look at Bush and UG3's combine/pro day #'s side by side. UG3 is slower and less explosive by a tenth here and tenth there across the board. But he does have an overall athletic profile that isn't awful.

This scouting report is not all that bad: https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/20...s-gilbert-iii/

But either he didn't get a hat on game-days because Allen and Spillane are better special teams players and the Steelers were rolling the dice on LB depth OR UG3 has been passed on the depth chart by a converted safety (which might not be that big of knock) and a journeyman special teamer type.

I guess I am at a 6 with the willingness to go to a 3 immediately on seeing defensive breakdowns.

I also wonder if Sean Davis has a role to play? I am not going to argue he is the total solution or without problems to his game, but he has shown that he can be sturdy enough to play around the LOS. Could he be active as a "dimebacker" or whatever role they keep trying to find people for and never doing...
    I still dont know if Gilbert is recovered from his back injury of last year. He hasnt been active on gameday all season so far.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I still dont know if Gilbert is recovered from his back injury of last year. He hasnt been active on gameday all season so far.
    Ahhhh. I had forgotten about that. That might go a ways towards explaining his (lack of a) role.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Every team is going to have injury attrition. I'm just glad it's not Ben, TJ, Cam, or Bud.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Every team is going to have injury attrition. I'm just glad it's not Ben, TJ, Cam, or Bud.
    True, but this is basically where the Steelers were 2 seasons ago where their ILB talent was too slow to match RB's out of the backfield, or to get to the edge on toss. The loss of Bush could really cause some scheme changes, or a hunt of the waiver wire.

A tenth here or there on field isn’t going to make a difference in my opinion. Straight speed and on-field speed are way different. Look at Hines Ward. He was one of the slower WRs ever to wear a Steelers uniform and he played fast at times.

I think an argument could be made that Watt, Fitzpatrick, Dupree, Tuitt, Heyward, Nelson could all be a more critical loss than Bush.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world, but I definitely agree that it’s going to depend a lot on how they replace him.

A tenth here or there on field isn’t going to make a difference in my opinion. Straight speed and on-field speed are way different. Look at Hines Ward. He was one of the slower WRs ever to wear a Steelers uniform and he played fast at times.

I think an argument could be made that Watt, Fitzpatrick, Dupree, Tuitt, Heyward, Nelson could all be a more critical loss than Bush.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world, but I definitely agree that it’s going to depend a lot on how they replace him.
    Agreed. It is how the cascade from Bush impacts other players. If the Bush replacement is not as strong in the run game, then Edmunds has to come down into the box more often to help clean that up. That means MF has to almost always be the deep safety. Gets harder to run things like what lead to the pick 6 against the Browns. If the Bush replacement struggles to disengage with blockers and fill gaps; maybe what Heyward, Tuitt, and Alualu are asked to do changes to more occupy blockers than create havoc behind the LOS.

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom. Nor am I arguing that Bush is irreplaceable. But I can't shake what happened in 2017. The defense literally fell apart. I also remember when Aaron Smith used to get hurt. He wasn't the splashiest player on that era of defense. Nor did he put up the best stats. But every single time he got hurt, the defense was noticeably worse at everything. I feel like Bush and Edmunds are asked to do roles in the LB and DB levels of the defense that allow everything else that does get stats and highlights to happen. That could also not be true. I am not the strongest analyst of schemes and individual assignments. Just a feeling I have.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

We will lose some games as we are going to play some really good teams such as the Titans and Bills. but that doesn’t mean that our defense and season are down the drain because of Bush.

if our defense is as only good as one player on the team then it wasn’t a good defense to begin with

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

He's third on the team in solo tackles with 13, only one behind Edmunds (14) and five behind Hilton (18).

That's a big hole to fill.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m almost as concerned about who will have the “green dot”. For a second year player he was doing a great job. Fortunately there are a lot of smart players on the “D”.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    We will lose some games as we are going to play some really good teams such as the Titans and Bills. but that doesn’t mean that our defense and season are down the drain because of Bush.

if our defense is as only good as one player on the team then it wasn’t a good defense to begin with
    Depends really. Some really good Steeler defenses dropped off a lot when we lost Troy or Aaron Smith. However, I don't think Bush was as crucial of a cog as those 2 guys (Troy was well, Troy. And in the 3-4 IMO a solid D-line is probably the most important pieces). But the loss definitely does hurt.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

A trade is possible...

I really feel like they need a veteran back there is they are going to play against KC in KC during the playoffs...I’d be happy with either of those guys but do the Steelers really do the “rent-a-player” thing?

I really feel like they need a veteran back there is they are going to play against KC in KC during the playoffs...I’d be happy with either of those guys but do the Steelers really do the “rent-a-player” thing?
    They've certainly tried with Wilcox, Vannett, Bostic, Barron, Burnett. I realize some of those were FA signings. But all of those guys were only every supposed to be in Pittsburgh for a season. I suspect they don't go that route now for the reasons of draft pick cost (surely someone will trump their offer of a low 6 or 7 for a guys that can still play in the NFL) and how many weeks until that player can come in and be a highly integrated piece? Certainly 2-3 at least. With no bye week, they may feel that the guys who are currently on the roster are better in aggregate than the outsider with the "moving train" learning curve.