Thread: Minkah Fitzpatrick Doing His Job

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Minkah Fitzpatrick Doing His Job

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...nse-browns-nfl

Or at least that is the basic premise of the linked article. MF is doing what he is supposed to do. Which is a lot of providing over the top help to Haden, cleaning up for Edmunds and Bush, and generally being the last line of defense behind a blitz happy front. Only negative is that, the author argues, teams have noticed MF tendencies to free-lance a bit to attempt to make plays and are using that against him a bit.

All in all, MF is doing exactly, again according to the article author's POV, what he is supposed to be doing.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Re: Minkah Fitzpatrick Doing His Job

Thanks for that link.

I was not convinced that MF was necessarily playing badly, but he is literally the one Steelers defender I notice the least when watching the games on TV this year. Other than a missed tackle last week (..MF tried to "hit" him to knock him down rather than make the tackle...), I have not seen anything that I could easily characterize as bad play. I do see him lined up extremely deep in some defensive formations so he is "out of the play" so to speak on some occasions if the play occurs closer to the line of scrimmage.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Thanks for that link.

I was not convinced that MF was necessarily playing badly, but he is literally the one Steelers defender I notice the least when watching the games on TV this year. Other than a missed tackle last week (..MF tried to "hit" him to knock him down rather than make the tackle...), I have not seen anything that I could easily characterize as bad play. I do see him lined up extremely deep in some defensive formations so he is "out of the play" so to speak on some occasions if the play occurs closer to the line of scrimmage.
    I've seen this article and come across a few stray comments here and there that lead me to believe that your commentary is pretty spot on. I think that MF is being asked to play deep centerfield/last line of defense so that the front 5-7 can blitz at the ludicrous rate that they are. I've #'s having the Steelers send 5 or more 10-20 % more often than any team in the league. That is a lot of pass rushing.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I have a good feeling that Minkah is going to make a "Splash" play this upcoming game against the Browns and get an interception. I just feel it for some reason this week.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I've seen this article and come across a few stray comments here and there that lead me to believe that your commentary is pretty spot on. I think that MF is being asked to play deep centerfield/last line of defense so that the front 5-7 can blitz at the ludicrous rate that they are. I've #'s having the Steelers send 5 or more 10-20 % more often than any team in the league. That is a lot of pass rushing.
    In addition it seems, visually, that they are using him closer to the line of scrimmage in that Mark Barron type role?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    In addition it seems, visually, that they are using him closer to the line of scrimmage in that Mark Barron type role?
    I don't know. What I am reading and hearing is that he is playing deep half of the field and Edmunds is around the LOS. Doesn't mean that is right...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, they are 4-0 so hard to argue with the success at this point. Going into more teams with better passing games soon so we will see how it works going forward. I suppose as long as the pass rush remains effective then we should be ok.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't know. What I am reading and hearing is that he is playing deep half of the field and Edmunds is around the LOS. Doesn't mean that is right...
    Yeah...I don’t know. I’ve seen him down a lot but maybe that’s just some select plays that I am noticing more than not? Don’t know...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Baker found out why other QB's avoid Minkah.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I have a good feeling that Minkah is going to make a "Splash" play this upcoming game against the Browns and get an interception. I just feel it for some reason this week.
    Nice Call.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Nice Call.
    Minkah is too talented and was due. I am definitely not Nostradamus, but it was nice that my prediction came to fruition!!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I remember this hot take,just couple week ago...This is the same website who had said that the steelers should take note of the cowboys front office.

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/10/02/...r-fitzpatrick/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I remember this hot take,just couple week ago...This is the same website who had said that the steelers should take note of the cowboys front office.

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/10/02/...r-fitzpatrick/
    Alot of elevator music. People jump to conclusions after 3 or 4 games.

Garbage article

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Alot of elevator music. People jump to conclusions after 3 or 4 games.

Garbage article

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    Very true.

Speaking of jumping to conclusions....James Conner 101 yards rushing, Benny Snell 17 yards rushing. I think we know who the feature RB is.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Very true.

Speaking of jumping to conclusions....James Conner 101 yards rushing, Benny Snell 17 yards rushing. I think we know who the feature RB is.

I didn't think it was ever really in doubt by most people....but I hear you.

Looked to me like the Steelers dialed back the 5+ pass rusher stuff this week. Sent for and dropped an extra into coverage. Looks like Minkah got to roam a bit more and play a little close to the action than 20 yards down field as the single high safety. Again, not sure if that was what was going on but it looked that way on a few plays. Be interested to see what the later in the week breakdowns demonstrate.

I have been thinking this for several weeks and I suspect it was/is the case that they are going to have one blitz rate and plan for teams with QBs and/or offensive lines that they don't respect. HOWEVER...Bush being out may change everything.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I was old enough to remember people saying we weren’t so good cause the Eagles game was close, well the Eagles was a botched 2pt conversion from taking the Rats to OT, and if we can slow Henry down, Houston took the Titans to OT. At this point, we have as good a chance as any to make a solid run.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I was old enough to remember people saying we weren’t so good cause the Eagles game was close
    That was before my time.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Minkah is too talented and was due. I am definitely not Nostradamus, but it was nice that my prediction came to fruition!!
    I had the feeling too and he was due but still good call man!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">