Thread: Steelers' Mike Tomlin names the three best defenders he's coached

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers' Mike Tomlin names the three best defenders he's coached

Steelers' Mike Tomlin names the three best defenders he's coached, explains why Hines Ward remains blueprint

A dozen years ago, Mike Tomlin was a 36-year-old, second-year head coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers. That season, Tomlin presided over a dominant Steelers defense that spearheaded Pittsburgh to a victory in Super Bowl XLIII. Tomlin, now in his 14th season in Pittsburgh, has his Steelers off their first 4-0 start since 1979, a year that also ended with the black and gold hosting the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

One of Tomlin's defenders on that 2008 defense, former NFL cornerback and current CBS Sports analyst Bryant McFadden, spoke with his former coach during the most recent episode of the "All Things Covered" podcast, hosted by Patrick Peterson and McFadden. Peterson, an eight-time Pro Bowl cornerback who is in the midst of his 10th season with the Cardinals, asked Tomlin -- who served as secondary coach on the Buccaneers' Super Bowl-winning 2002 team -- to name the top three defenders he's worked with during his time in the NFL.

"Troy [Polamalu] and [Derrick] Brooks, and then it gets tough," Tomlin said. "I might have to go Warren Sapp [No.] 99. You're talking Troy and Brooks, you're talking first-ballot Hall of Famers, when you're talking Warren Sapp, you're talking about a second-ballot Hall of Famer. It's tough to argue against some of those guys. Just the routine, freaking things that I saw from those guys working with them really made them a cut above. That's the reason why they wear the gold jackets in the manner of which they wear the gold jackets in terms of early enshrinement."

When it comes to naming the best defense he's been a part of, Tomlin said that question is difficult to answer because of the different ways dominant defenses can take over games. While the defense he was part of in Tampa Bay may not have been physically imposing, Tomlin said the '02 Buccaneers defense was exceptional at creating splash plays, which was certainly on display in Super Bowl XXXVII, when the Buccaneers returned three of their five interceptions for touchdowns while defeating the Raiders, 48-21. Conversely, Tomlin said Pittsburgh's '08 defense was a physical, intimidating group.

"We had dominant outside linebackers like James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley that absolutely beat you up," Tomlin said. "And so, the means that they go about dominating games was so different, it's tough to distinguish, but I've learned to have an appreciation for both. One thing I do know, you know when you're with a dominant defensive group that's got the goods, and I think that's what's exciting about the group that we're working with right now. It's really early in the journey, but they're showing signs of the type of group that's the type of group that's got the goods."

read more

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...ins-blueprint/

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: Steelers' Mike Tomlin names the three best defenders he's coached

Nice to hear him mention the current defense in the same conversation as the ‘08 defense. Talentwise they have the potential to be just as dominant, and more diversely effective. By that I mean the defense of the Lebeau era was great against against most teams, but a QB like Brady knew how to pick that zone apart. I think this defense has the ability to alternate between zone and man far more effectively. We just can’t allow teams to convert big plays on 3rd down as much.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Steelers' Mike Tomlin names the three best defenders he's coached

We all knew Troy had to be one of the 3.

It's crazy but I've known many Steeler haters in my lifetime but they all had major respect for Troy. I think Troy was one of the most respected and liked members of the team, maybe ever. I don't think I ever heard someone say they hated Troy P. All the Steeler haters I know say they hated the Steelers but wished Troy was on their team haha.