Thread: THoughts on the Offensive Line

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

THoughts on the Offensive Line

Wanted to see what folks were thinking about the o line now that we have seen a bit. I will say that they can certainly work on the move. I have been far more impressed with the results that Chuks has provided. I do not know enough from watching the TV tape if his process to get those results has been good or bad. Anyone have thoughts?

Also, I am not saying this to damn Feiler with faint praise or anything, but every time I see Dotson play, I worry less and less about Feiler leaving in FA.

Circling back to the first point about Chuks...take the worst case cap scenario for 2021. While this would be distasteful for a ton of reasons, the cheapest line they could field would be Chuks/Dotson/Pouncey/Decastro/Banner. Call me crazy, but that line grouping does not make me as uneasy as it would have six weeks ago...

Anyways, just thinking out loud this morning. Basically thinking that the Steelers line depth is proving to be better than I thought. Gosh if they rehabbed Hawkins back to what he first looked like before he got hurt....

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: THoughts on the Offensive Line

Maybe our o-line coach is not bad too!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Dotson (I think it was him) put Fletcher Cox on his ass on one of the long runs by either Conner or Ray Ray. I can't remember but I saw the tweet and now can't find it

Seriously, in the first quarter, it had been a bit difficult for our o-line but after that, they were great against a great pass rush which had 17 sacks in 4 games before yesterday's game.

It's certain that helps that Ben throw the ball very quickly, but this o-line deserve a lot of credit, since yesterday it was a big challenge.

Next challenge for this o-line ... Myles Garrett.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

- Okorafor is playing with real athletic feet and good balance of not getting over his toes in the run game, or back on his heels in pass protection. At worst, he is a real athletic RT, but I think the LT spot is in his future.

-Dotson is going to be a long term solution on the O line as I said before. He played over 40 games in college, benched 34 reps of 225lbs, is athletic, has long arms and was voted all-american.

-Banner, we will have to see if he recovers well from the injury. But I still have confidence in Derwin Gray that he can develop into a very good RT in time.

So I agree with the OP that Feiler being a free agent at the end of the year isnt a big deal and is really in the Chris Hubbard situation where I think he gets paid a decent contract, but not by the Steelers. IMO, Dotson is a better Guard than Feiler. Chukks and Banner are better OT's than Feiler.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    - Okorafor is playing with real athletic feet and good balance of not getting over his toes in the run game, or back on his heels in pass protection. At worst, he is a real athletic RT, but I think the LT spot is in his future.

-Dotson is going to be a long term solution on the O line as I said before. He played over 40 games in college, benched 34 reps of 225lbs, is athletic, has long arms and was voted all-american.

-Banner, we will have to see if he recovers well from the injury. But I still have confidence in Derwin Gray that he can develop into a very good RT in time.

So I agree with the OP that Feiler being a free agent at the end of the year isnt a big deal and is really in the Chris Hubbard situation where I think he gets paid a decent contract, but not by the Steelers. IMO, Dotson is a better Guard than Feiler. Chukks and Banner are better OT's than Feiler.
    How did Dotson fall to the 4th round? Please refresh my memory because we heard nothing from Fletcher Cox yesterday and Fletcher Cox is a grown ass man.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    How did Dotson fall to the 4th round? Please refresh my memory because we heard nothing from Fletcher Cox yesterday and Fletcher Cox is a grown ass man.
    Dotson was not even invited in the combine!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Small school and thought of as the 2nd best O lineman at Louisiana maybe?

KEVIN DOTSON, OG, LOUISIANA

Kevin Dotson is the lesser heralded teammate of Robert Hunt, who is scheduled to come into Mobile next week for the 2020 Reese's Senior Bowl. While Dotson isn't as polished or as powerful, he's imposing in his own right as he put on display early at the Shrine Bowl practices. Dotson's going to need some technical refinement, but seeing him move the way he does at a freshly measured 324 pounds is sure to inspire an NFL offensive line coach. https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...st-shrine-bowl

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

The injury to Pouncey has me concerned. Foot injury. Tomlin said he’d know more on Tuesday, but that doesn’t sound encouraging for Sunday.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Wanted to see what folks were thinking about the o line now that we have seen a bit. I will say that they can certainly work on the move. I have been far more impressed with the results that Chuks has provided. I do not know enough from watching the TV tape if his process to get those results has been good or bad. Anyone have thoughts?

Also, I am not saying this to damn Feiler with faint praise or anything, but every time I see Dotson play, I worry less and less about Feiler leaving in FA.

Circling back to the first point about Chuks...take the worst case cap scenario for 2021. While this would be distasteful for a ton of reasons, the cheapest line they could field would be Chuks/Dotson/Pouncey/Decastro/Banner. Call me crazy, but that line grouping does not make me as uneasy as it would have six weeks ago...

Anyways, just thinking out loud this morning. Basically thinking that the Steelers line depth is proving to be better than I thought. Gosh if they rehabbed Hawkins back to what he first looked like before he got hurt....
    Simply put I think the pieces are working well together. We haven't really seen the same personnel together yet though. I'm actually impressed how well they have played.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Okay, feeling a little better about Pouncey

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...ury-update-fdl

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They’ve been playing fairly well. I’d probably give them a B- to B grade so far. They’ve given Ben a good amount of time to throw but that is a little conceiving because I think Ben has been throwing it quicker as well. They did well against the Eagles D-Line which was a big test. I’d like to see the run blocking improve. I think that’s an area that needs work. Penalties have been held to the minimum which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They’ve been playing fairly well. I’d probably give them a B- to B grade so far. They’ve given Ben a good amount of time to throw but that is a little conceiving because I think Ben has been throwing it quicker as well. They did well against the Eagles D-Line which was a big test. I’d like to see the run blocking improve. I think that’s an area that needs work. Penalties have been held to the minimum which is good.
    Yes, Ben has been getting the ball out this year quicker than any other QB in the NFL.

If he only studied film he’d be a regular Tom Brady.