Thread: Gameballs/Goats vs Eagles

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Gameballs/Goats vs Eagles

Heroes:

Ben continues to go on a tear. The finest he's been playing in years.

Chase Claypool is a force of Nature.

Goats:

Refs. But that's too easy.

Third Down Defense. Eagles were 9/11 with a touchdown run on 3rd and long.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Gameballs/Goats vs Eagles

I thought for a good part of the game, it was Matt Canada who was the playcaller since I liked the playcalling but when I saw a run play in the second down and 22 in the fourth quarter with Snell, I was wrong

Our 3rd down defense have been garbage since the start of the season...It need to be much better.Also happy to see our offense be better in every game

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Nelson and butler for waiting way too long to adjust to Flagham

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Ball: Ben / Claypool
    Goat: Ebron, refs. Seriously it seems like whenever we get a comfortable lead the refs start giving out bullshit flags to get the other team into the game. It's like having computer assistance turned on in madden

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Balls: Obviously Chase Claypool, the main reason they won the game.

Also Ben overall had a great day as well getting Claypool the ball and not turning the ball over

Claypool with the help of Ben bailed out the rest of the team

Goats: The team overall for apparently thinking the main objective of a game is to make sure every single game is decided in the final 2 minutes. I know it may come as a shock to this team but actually maintaining a large lead and burying a team early in the game actually makes it easier to win

The pass defense is pure trash. After struggling against Jeff Driscoll 2 weeks ago, they looked terrible against a regressing Carson Wentz playing with Zach Ertz and practice squad level receivers. Ertz was even ineffective yet the defense was still carved up. They got carved up by a nobody who couldn't even make it on the Lions practice squad. They've been exposed without playing a strong offense yet

Eric Ebron: He also helped the Eagles with some bone-headed plays

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Gameballs:
    • Ben. He made the call on the last TD to Claypool. Clearly identified the mismatch and called an audible to get Claypool into the endzone.
    • Claypool. Ridiculous outing for the Rookie. Gonna vault him easily to rookie of the week and possibly into the Rookie of the Year conversation if he continues to grow.
    • Offensive Playbook. Was nice to see some new wrinkles. The problem I am starting to see, though, is that they look like they are starting to depend on certain plays over and over. Would like to see some different plays off of those...but maybe they are coming later.

Goats:
    • DBs - Not sure about responsibilities out there but things appear a mess at times.
    • DL - would've liked to see much more pressure on Wentz today with the MASH unit of a line the Eagles have.
    • Offensive Playbook - Enough with the throw away plays. Thats getting old...fast.

Probably forgot something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

Its interesting how everyone views the game...

Game Balls
    This is easy
    Ben and Chase, what a great game
    Dotson also, he came in cold and played well, save for a couple penalties, he's going to be really good

Goats
    Minkah, are you covering anyone? If you're not, please tackle the ball carrier
    The rest of the secondary

The Ugly
    This is an all too often refrain, the refs were deplorable today, both ways and especially on PI calls

Istina

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The biggest problem was putting Hilton on a guy that has 6 inches, 30 pounds, and runs just as fast based on timed tests as Hilton. How is Hilton expected to win in that scenario? He can't beat Fulgham to a spot. He can't out jump him, and he can't muscle through him to the ball.

It was a plan to fail. I mean I know what the idea was. The pass rush gets home first and you don't need to worry about the physical mismatch on your #3 CB. It is something he is kinda used to anyways. Honestly, this is why I wish Desir or Layne was more developed as a DB. It would be nice to be able to sub some size into the game at DB.

Honestly, and I know that people are just going to laugh this out of the building...but Sean Davis? Because what I saw was that Hilton got "beat" by Fulgham mostly because of the size difference rather than not being in the right position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The biggest problem was putting Hilton on a guy that has 6 inches, 30 pounds, and runs just as fast based on timed tests as Hilton. How is Hilton expected to win in that scenario? He can't beat Fulgham to a spot. He can't out jump him, and he can't muscle through him to the ball.

It was a plan to fail. I mean I know what the idea was. The pass rush gets home first and you don't need to worry about the physical mismatch on your #3 CB. It is something he is kinda used to anyways. Honestly, this is why I wish Desir or Layne was more developed as a DB. It would be nice to be able to sub some size into the game at DB.

Honestly, and I know that people are just going to laugh this out of the building...but Sean Davis? Because what I saw was that Hilton got "beat" by Fulgham mostly because of the size difference rather than not being in the right position.
    or Cam Sutton

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Hilton showed today that it's not a guarantee he gets the big pay day some fans believe. As good as a run defender and blitzer he is, teams can pick on him in the passing game.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Hilton showed today that he won't get the big pay day some fans believe. As good as a run defender and blitzer he is, teams can pick on him in the passing game.
    Everyone seems to forget that in passing situations last season, Sutton played the overwhelming % of the snaps.

I really like Hilton as a player. But he can be isolated and beat in coverage. And that is what the Eagles offense was today. Beating Hilton to jump balls and DPI penalties. Other than that, the defense played well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    or Cam Sutton
    Sutton is better in coverage, but he is only 2 inches taller. Davis, Layne, and the rookie CB who plays on special teams are all over 6 feet tall. I just think that the Steelers and many secondaries (see what Claypool did to the Eagles) can be exposed if you get a bigger WR against them with some ability to run.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Will give Ray Ray some love for today.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Heroes:

Ben continues to go on a tear. The finest he's been playing in years.

Chase Claypool is a force of Nature.

Goats:

Refs. But that's too easy.

Third Down Defense. Eagles were 9/11 with a touchdown run on 3rd and long.
    Eagles were 10of14 on 3rd down. Steelers were 11of15 on 3rd down. Both teams were 3of3 in the redzone. Neither defense did well getting off the field on 3rd down nor in the redzone. Difference is the Steelers got 2 INTs, the Eagles were given a fumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Eagles were 10of14 on 3rd down. Steelers were 11of15 on 3rd down. Both teams were 3of3 in the redzone. Neither defense did well getting off the field on 3rd down nor in the redzone. Difference is the Steelers got 2 INTs, the Eagles were given a fumble.
    without the second interception,the steelers still win the game.So for me they were even in turnovers.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I just watched the highlights of the game. I know the Eagles receivers might not be well known but they are actually really good. Fulgham was outstanding.

I’m not making excuses for our secondary but if we were counting on their receivers sucking just because they aren’t famous, then that is a mistake. They can play.

But man, the refs really could have handed the Eagles the game if we didn’t overcome it. That offensive PI against Claypool was awful. As was a defensive PI on Haden. Obviously there were others but those two just really stood out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I just watched the highlights of the game. I know the Eagles receivers might not be well known but they are actually really good. Fulgham was outstanding.

I’m not making excuses for our secondary but if we were counting on their receivers sucking just because they aren’t famous, then that is a mistake. They can play.

But man, the refs really could have handed the Eagles the game if we didn’t overcome it. That offensive PI against Claypool was awful. As was a defensive PI on Haden. Obviously there were others but those two just really stood out to me.
    It will be interesting to read/watch some of the more detailed breakdowns that come along across the Steelers/NFL related internet over the course of this upcoming week. I am not sure, but it didn't look to me like the Steelers secondary was getting "burned" or dropping coverages as much as the Eagles were winning one on one match-ups. Just as the Steelers offense did.

I am not saying that it couldn't or shouldn't be better. But I am interested to see what others that have the ability to watch the game over and over again think was causing the 3rd defense to fail so frequently.

GAME BALLS:

Offense
    Ben R. 27-34 3 TDs and an almost 80 percent completion average. Sure, most of those are short throws, but he's hitting the medium throws as well, opening up the underside. Also, he's protecting the football.

Chase Claypool Huh, in your prime, us thinks you suck.

Receivers (and coach) Every receiver except for Claypool had a 75 percent or better reception average. Washington, Conner (as a receiver) and McCloud all had 100 percent (and sure, they were short passes, but still). Even Ebron had a good game receiving (but not much else).

McCloud Only touched the ball four times. But, here's his stats for those four touches: 2 carries, one for 5 yards, one for 58 yards. Three receptions on three targets for 12 yards with an 8 yard long. I know, the other three catches don't seem to amount to much, but to see a sixth round, 5'9" receiver contributing in his freshman year like he is? I'll give him a game ball

Defense Strange enough, there's a few game balls to hand out here.

Stepon Tuit 1.5 sacks and a tackle for a loss with 3 QB hits.

TJ Watt 1 sack, 3 tackles for a loss and 3 QB hits.

Cameron Heyward A sack, Tackle for loss, a pass defended, and a QB hit. Why do I feel like Heyward is one of our best secondary players?

HM Hilton.

GOATS:

Pass defense They stepped up when they needed to. And, I'm not including Hilton here as he had a good game.

Nelson-Final Play Knock. The. Ball. Down. You gave up almost fifty yards by catching it. I know 9 points makes it a two score game, but the way the Steelers defense had played, if there was a fumble and the Eagles got the ball, I wouldn't be surprised to see them score, get the onside kick, and drive for a win.

ODDS AND ENDS
    Watching our running backs today, what struck me is how many times they had to fight back to the line of scrimmage, and yet, they were dropped only three times for -1 yard each (one was a goal line stand), and I think 2 or three times for 0 yards. Sure, we'd like to see 3, 4, 5 yards a gain, but I was really happy with the fight in them for the most part.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Gameballs/Goats vs Eagles

Goats - Vilma, he loves him some Eagles, the nut sucking this guy did all game gave me a headache. He should lose his job as an announcer.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Goats - Vilma, he loves him some Eagles, the nut sucking this guy did all game gave me a headache. He should lose his job as an announcer.
    I like Vilma but you're right, he was obnoxious today.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I like Vilma but you're right, he was obnoxious today.
    As are all the commercials, time outs, so on and so forth. I can't say how much I absolutely love NFL Gamecast. Just wait until around 3:00 pm and watch the entire game in 45 minutes. You don't get all the blathering as they're actually calling the plays.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Special goat nod to Vilma on the broadcast. Horrible. Barely an upgrade on Fouts. Why do the Steelers get the F team?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Special goat nod to Vilma on the broadcast. Horrible.
    Agreed - that guy made my eardrums bleed. Just awful.

You guys do realize when one the goes down by 2+ scores the announcers purposely talk up the losing team. It is a cheap way to create drama and hold on to viewers if the scoreboard isn't doing it.

Vilma isn't very good at it, but he's doing what he's paid to do.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

You guys do realize when one the goes down by 2+ scores the announcers purposely talk up the losing team. It is a cheap way to create drama and hold on to viewers if the scoreboard isn't doing it.

Vilma isn't very good at it, but he's doing what he's paid to do.
    I think calling Franco Harris, James Franco was just really really bad.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

It will be interesting to read/watch some of the more detailed breakdowns that come along across the Steelers/NFL related internet over the course of this upcoming week. I am not sure, but it didn't look to me like the Steelers secondary was getting "burned" or dropping coverages as much as the Eagles were winning one on one match-ups. Just as the Steelers offense did.

I am not saying that it couldn't or shouldn't be better. But I am interested to see what others that have the ability to watch the game over and over again think was causing the 3rd defense to fail so frequently.
    Yeah, if you watch the highlights, now with the benefit of the in game emotions being gone, it really looks like the Eagles making some great plays as opposed to our players just sucking.

There were definitely some missed tackles in there and what not, but Wentz and the Eagles receivers did a very nice job on those big plays

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I think calling Franco Harris, James Franco was just really really bad.

He tried to cover it up by claiming he was seeing if Albert would catch it. Announcing football games was a bad career choice after football.

Only 4 games but....

The eagles' FG attempts at the end of the game (a long 57 yards) was a horrible call by Doug Peterson ... It was a low percentage play and to go in the fourth down and 5 yards would have been a much better decision .. And even if he made the FG, I would have liked the chances of the steelers to win this game with 3 minutes left in this game and down by one with the ball in Roethlisberger's hands

If the eagles would have converted this fourth down, the chances of the steelers winning this game would have been much lower.