Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The President and First Lady Have Tested Positive for COVID 19

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: The President and First Lady Have Tested Positive for COVID 19

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Honestly, there has never been randomized trials of mask, vs no mask in a case of a virus with a R0 of 2 or higher, mostly because it would never pass ethics review, but also who would sign up for one that could give them a potentially harmful virus. So all people can do is go on retrospective data that is happening like this.

But there are so many variables in terms of whether somebody knows how to properly handle one, how much hand washing they do, face touching, touching of other surfaces and mask, time spent indoors vs outdoors, etc.

So, initially there was no level 1 evidence to say masks should be used. Then it became anecdotal and common sense, with no downside. Like, nobody ever complains to their surgeon who is about to operate on their knee, hip, gall bladder, hernia, etc about him wearing a mask and that he/she are sheep and slaves to the government. Its a best practice to reduce the risk of infection.
    Agreed. Don't have to convince me. I adopted a mask in public spaces early once I became aware that droplets were the main thing. In retrospect, I was late to putting it into practice.

But I agree, what's the downside? Heck, where I live most everyone covers their faces November-March anyways.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I guess I should be fair and balanced and acknowledge that mask recommendation was initially unclear as no was certain of the transmission mode of a new virus.
    And this is why I think highly of you as a poster.

I was always under the impression that masks were primarily to prevent the spread the virus... not for preventing getting the virus. I never understood that. If a mask prevents giving the virus, why wouldn't it prevent getting it?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Agreed. Don't have to convince me. I adopted a mask in public spaces early once I became aware that droplets were the main thing. In retrospect, I was late to putting it into practice.

But I agree, what's the downside? Heck, where I live most everyone covers their faces November-March anyways.
    I didnt put a mask into practice until they were required, but then again I have spent a lot of time wearing masks at work and understand sterile technique in healthcare settings. So in public I wasnt often in close proximity to other people, didnt talk carelessly or loudly in their way to create droplets and wasnt within 6 ft of those who would have the potential to sneeze or cough my way.

I have no problem wearing a mask, but I generally dont when I have the ability to be 8 feet away from somebody talking. Evidence shows the droplets are large that carry coronavirus and doesnt travel 30 ft like some have claimed. Lack of humidity in the air can affect that as it does in the winter months.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

I was always under the impression that masks were primarily to prevent the spread the virus... not for preventing getting the virus. I never understood that. If a mask prevents giving the virus, why wouldn't it prevent getting it?
    On the other hand, if you believe his depiction of the state of things, masks don't do shit.

"Even with mask orders, the virus is spiraling out of control and it's going to infect us all. But if we wear masks, we'll stop it in its tracks!"

"All these draconian lockdown measures aren't slowing it down at all. But we have to keep doing them because they work!"

"A mask will prevent me from getting infected, it's science - DUH! But YOU'RE selfish if you don't wear one because a mask is to protect others!"

Much like almost every liberal viewpoint, it falls to pieces as soon as you ask one question: "Well, it can't be both - which one is it?" And then you will get a gold-medal worthy routine in mental gymnastics, because like most of the liberal ideology, it is built on a carefully constructed foundation of rationalizing conflicting information and mutually exclusive hypotheses. And then when you point that out, they will change the subject and then accuse you of changing the subject.

Basically, the message you will get from these people is that the unpopular measures being taken in this country are scientifically impeccable and exactly what works - but in America alone out of the entire world, they don't work. It's a few rednecks that ignore it and it ruins everything, because people like that don't exist anywhere else in the world. It's only in America - everyone else has lined up and done what they were told without exception, and things have just gone so much differently. Look at how smart they are and how dumb we are. America sucks, we're the only dumb ones. We should be ashamed. Time to pack it in, boys, we're the worst.

Yes, it's definitely that. It couldn't be that America is doing the same as everywhere else (just like the science predicts) and has shitty data because certain people here clearly have reasons to fuck with it. No, it's not the simple explanation that is right there in plain sight. It's that there are 150 million conspiracy theorists who think that, and the real reason is this way more convoluted and far-fetched explanation, but that's the one that would mean we suck, so it must be true.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Much less of a train wreck...lol.
    All biden had was insults and denial of left wing violence. As per usual he offered nothing of substance.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

I was in Green Bay one yr for a few weeks just before labor day late 80s it f--ing snowed . and I am from a place where we have seen snow in oct , but never sept .
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    All biden had was insults and denial..................... As per usual he offered nothing of substance.
    Oh man, that's rich.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You're not wrong. At least based on what I think I know. I feel that the video and the pee graphic posted to this thread do a decent job of filling in the gap you're talking about.

The primary thing a mask does is "contain" my potential virus drops. But it has a nice secondary benefit of blocking "some" of the drops I could encounter. How many? Hard to say for the reasons EGJ outlined.

So if you and I hang out and talk football both wearing mass, we get two benefits. One, we both spew less virus into the local air. That's the big thing. Anyone, including ourselves, hanging out in that area has less exposure. The second, and harder to quantify, benefit is that we both take in "some" lower amount of drops that could have virus. How much less? Hard to really say. But less. The argument, as I understand it, is any less is "better" and increases both our chances that we didn't pass the virus while we debated how many running plays an NFL offense should call.

Playing the above out. The idea, again as I understand it, is that if we are trying to get back to the before times life and the risk of exposure/spread is X without a mask and X-Y with a mask; the mask gets us back to a workable status quo quicker with, again - my opinion (so no one flies off the handle) - zero detriment to anyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by T&B fan View Post
    I was in Green Bay one yr for a few weeks just before labor day late 80s it f--ing snowed . and I am from a place where we have seen snow in oct , but never sept .
    Yup! It's the "frozen tundra" for a reason. I got buddies north of me that are already splitting and stacking wood for the winter. Heck, I was in the Nirthwoods about a month ago and we had a bit of frost at first light.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Playing the above out. The idea, again as I understand it, is that if we are trying to get back to the before times life and the risk of exposure/spread is X without a mask and X-Y with a mask; the mask gets us back to a workable status quo quicker with, again - my opinion (so no one flies off the handle) - zero detriment to anyone involved.
    If you are trying to get back to life as of February 2020, the quickest way is to maximize the number of people who are infected without dying. Masks, if they work, do the opposite of that.

The fastest way to the end is for there to be neither masks nor lockdowns unless you are in jeopardy of medical shortages and people cannot get treatment. So far, outside of New York City for a couple of weeks, that has not been the case anywhere in the country for the entire duration of this event, nor has it been even close in the vast majority of cases. (Even in NYC, they were able to mobilize resources to cover demand.)

It seems that the leaders in certain areas have become confused about what the scientists and epidemiologists said, and they are trying to use masks and lockdowns to eradicate the disease before it runs its course. But masks and lockdowns cannot eradicate the disease, and that was not supposed to be the purpose. The experts all said it would be impossible, and that is proving to be one thing they were exactly right about. In the meantime, governors of many left-leaning states have adopted guidelines that keep the emergency in place if the virus is spreading at a rate that would take 10, 20, even 50 years to run its course. That is not a path to normalcy, that is prolonging the problem.

In the situation where we are right now - you do not want to "slow the spread," save for protecting the very elderly. And I bet the elderly would appreciate it if they could come out of isolation before they died anyway. Dragging it out for years is not the way to do it. The ONLY way would be for into run its course, where if you are smart about it from this point on, will mostly affect those least susceptible, and will peter out for good somewhere short of 100,000 dead (real numbers, not made-up ones).

Now, it sounds like some state and local officials have forgotten that part of what the experts all told us, and are mistakenly doing the opposite of what science and medicine would dictate. Only I don't think there's any mistake - it may not have to do with science or medicine, but they know exactly what they are doing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

All biden had was insults and denial of left wing violence. As per usual he offered nothing of substance.
    Trump didn’t provide plenty of insults and provided substance above the third grade level?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

You must have been tripping during the debate if that was your takeaway.
    Your lack of objectivity is all too obvious.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Why? Putin wants Biden at the POTUS, as does China.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure he does.

If Biden wins the shutdown will end and the COVID "deaths" will magically disappear.

- - - Updated - - -

Just like your hero said it would. Wanna bet?

Wait, you still believe the Russia hoax? Haha
    The real hoax is in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Trump didn’t provide plenty of insults and provided substance above the third grade level?
    Ok, name one policy that Biden is proposing. Give us absolute power because we demand it? But we won't tell you what we will do with it, or who will be running the country. Just trust us.

"You have to elect us to find out what's in it!"

Should be an automatic NOPE for anyone who isn't out of their mind with TDS. Sad.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Ok, name one policy that Biden is proposing. Give us absolute power because we demand it? But we won't tell you what we will do with it, or who will be running the country. Just trust us.

Should be an automatic NOPE for anyone who isn't out of their mind with TDS. Sad.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The simple answer is the mask allows you to breath in from air through as well as from around the mask. But your exhale travels through the mask only if worn properly. Think of a surgeon breathing in from around the mask but not exhaling directly into the incision. Like I started with, the simple answer only. Not all masks work this way so there really is no across the board answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    That's great. Always remember that nobody cares what you think!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

That's great. Always remember that nobody cares what you think!

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

[QUOTE=steelreserve;741085]That's great. Always remember wrong poster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Great reply... as expected.

Don't know why I can't fix my post. It was directed at Tom... not SR.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Why did Trump have to go to Walter Reed? All he had to do was inject himself with disinfectant. Right? RIGHT?

Don't know why I can't fix my post. It was directed at Tom... not SR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Why did Trump have to go to Walter Reed? All he had to do was inject himself with disinfectant. Right? RIGHT?
    Well.......... wrong.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I guess you and civility don't go together

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I saw a poll that said 40 percent of libs want Trump to die. At first It was troubling, then I realize they dont care about life anyway. I can guess where you stand. Mind boggling that a party cares more to about lives of death row inmates than babies or the president. So obtuse.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I saw a poll that said 40 percent of libs want Trump to die.
    Can we see the URL to the poll? Not that I wouldn't trust anyone who smokes a commie cigar.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yeah...Trump offered a lot in that debate!! Much more than Biden did! The event was so helpful for the voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler