Thread: Is Josh Allen the real deal?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Is Josh Allen the real deal?

I know 2 of his games were against the dolphins and the jets, but he is much better than he was in his first 2 years and it's not close....Do you believe he will continue to be great like this or he will come back to earth?

What are your expectations on him?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Is Josh Allen the real deal?

When I watch him I see a lot of natural ability and a very good awareness of the field with good football instincts. With good coaching he can have a multiple pro-bowl career.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Buh, buh, but .......his college completion percentage was nowhere near as good as Baker Mayfield. He cant be any good.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Buh, buh, but .......his college completion percentage was nowhere near as good as Baker Mayfield. He cant be any good.

The definitive statements some people make are hilarious.

There are no absolutes when it comes to prospects in football. Too many people just don't seem to understand that everything a player does at the collegiate level doesn't translate to the NFL....particularly at the QB position. When I evaluate players in college, I look for aspects of a quarterback's game that I think can translate at the next level. I also look for natural skills to try to determine if the QB is capable of meeting the requirements physically and mentally. You then try to determine reasons for deficiencies in their game. Is bad footwork the reason for inaccuracy, or is it that they simply don't possess the skill? Things like that. There are a million factors that go into it, and from a distance it is nearly impossible to know everything about them. We all put pieces together and make an evaluation.

The bottom line is that this isn't easy.

I liked Allen, and thought he was a guy to take a chance on because of his physical gifts, and I liked his combination of athleticism and his arm talent. I also liked his mental approach and coachability from everything I read about him and saw with my own eyes. Basically, we all make informed guesses.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Josh Allen is a high-wire act. When he is good, he can basically do just about anything on a football field. But he also throws passes miles over the head of his target or directly into the ground. He takes bizarre sacks where he retreats dozens of steps behind the LOS and kind just hangs out there. He is good for an inexplicable turnover or three in a given game. The moment his elite athletic capabilities erode (even a little bit) he is basically a frisky Ryan Fitzpatrick.

He very well might win the MVP this year or something similar. But I am not sure he is much more long term viable than the subjects of the other threads on QBs recently.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I would take him in a heartbeat over Derek Carr.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think that in the right system many QBs can be 'The Real Deal' but fail miserably in a different system. Coaches that can't change their system and play to the strength of the personnel don't last long either. A good to great college QB doesn't always make the leap to the NFL, but it typically takes a good to great college QB to make that leap. There are always obvious exceptions to every rule but if a QB doesn't have 'IT' in college, probably not going to have 'IT' in the NFL.

Josh Allen has the athletic skill to succeed as an NFL QB. He has the mobility and the arm strength teams covet. At the NFL level you must become a better football player from the neck up though. If he can do that then yes, Josh Allen is 'The Real Deal'. If not, who knows.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

First 3 games are a good sign. I don't want to definitively say yes or no however

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

There are no absolutes when it comes to prospects in football. Too many people just don't seem to understand that everything a player does at the collegiate level doesn't translate to the NFL....particularly at the QB position. When I evaluate players in college, I look for aspects of a quarterback's game that I think can translate at the next level. I also look for natural skills to try to determine if the QB is capable of meeting the requirements physically and mentally. You then try to determine reasons for deficiencies in their game. Is bad footwork the reason for inaccuracy, or is it that they simply don't possess the skill? Things like that. There are a million factors that go into it, and from a distance it is nearly impossible to know everything about them. We all put pieces together and make an evaluation.

I liked Allen, and thought he was a guy to take a chance on because of his physical gifts, and I liked his combination of athleticism and his arm talent. I also liked his mental approach and coachability from everything I read about him and saw with my own eyes. Basically, we all make informed guesses.
    Completely agree. Allen didnt have great receivers his final year at Wyoming and they dropped a lot of footballs. His footwork and mechanics were not great and he was going to need some coaching, but his attitude seemed great and man could he spin the football like nobody else. Looks like good coaching and time is making that work well for him.

Some of the other guys from that class have been in better situations, surrounded by more talent, some with similar or maybe less talent, but I think the situation in Buffalo where a solid defense is a QB's best friend has given him the time needed to develop and his attitude has helped him progress. Some other guys I think cant mentally get out of their own way, like Rosen and Mayfield.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Allen has arguably better tools to work with than the reigning league MVP. He can run just about as well. He can scramble to keep the play alive just as well, if not better. He throws a better ball and is way more accurate than Lamar Jackson. Consistency is his only enemy...although this season, it appears that he has worked some of that out...but like the OP said, it’s only a few games in and he hasn’t faced great competition...although he will in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

It’s all situational. All of it. Talent will only get these guys so far...if they aren’t drafted into the right situation, they won’t have near the success.

Take the most recent example in Mike Davis for instance. This guy bounced around the league as a nobody for several years and all of a sudden he puts up “Christian McCaffrey numbers” in relief of Christian McCaffrey. Will that pace continue? Probably...that’s how the Panthers offense is set up. Look at all the RBs that go through the 49ers...all putting up numbers...are all of them better than LeVeon Bell talent-wise? Probably not. Then there’s Adam Gase and Bell...it’s all about situation...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Man they can spin anything to the point to put any single player into a category with Hall of Fame Players...lol.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Man they can spin anything to the point to put any single player into a category with Hall of Fame Players...lol.
    First person to throw for a TD when it was 86 degrees out during a new moon on the 2nd Sunday of the month during a presidential election year, with 12 mph winds

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    First person to throw for a TD when it was 86 degrees out during a new moon on the 2nd Sunday of the month during a presidential election year, with 12 mph winds
    Lol. Seriously!!