Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anthony McFarland’s Earned More Playing Time, Tomlin Says

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Anthony McFarland’s Earned More Playing Time, Tomlin Says

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    While this is true, Conner had tremendous blocking on some of his long runs, plays with the same blocking McFarland would have probably scored.

The NFL has transformed form your traditional 4 yards per carry to backs capable of big plays ( 20 yards or more ) in the running or passing department. McFarland fits that role better than Conner does.

For now, it seems like Tomlin's plan appears to be using McFarland after some time has passed, and the opposing defense it tires.

Conner is at 5.6 yards per run so far this year....4.5 in his pro bowl year in 2018...And he is fine as receiver...Conner is the steelers number 1 RB and McFarland could be a good complement for Conner but he will not be a number 1 RB...At least not now....Also don't forget that the texans did not know that McFarland would played so they were not prepared against him.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    do you know the distance from the opposite hash mark to the sidelines of an NFL Football Field? Because that is the longest that a RB like McFarland will ever run to avoid a defender on a pitch or toss to the outside.

Its 30 YDS...and considering the RB has to turn it upfield to make any real gain, then its more like a 25 yard straight line run. McFarland ran a 4.44, while both Nate Gerry and Duke Riley of the Eagles LB group ran 4.58 at their combines. That 0.1 second speed advantage over 25-30 yards, running to the edge of an NFL field isnt that much of a deal.

McFarland is a bigger threat running off tackle, or between the tackles, not pitches and tosses because nobody in the NFL runs an actual sweep, like they do in college where the hashmarks are wider and the athletes are slower.

Hello El-Gonzo.

I like where this thinking is headed. Let's forget the fact that McFarland is faster than just about any linebacker in the league for the moment. His acceleration to the hole is elite. I think McFarland is even faster than Willie Parker was over the first 5-10 yards.

Football is a game of inches. Let's say the average running play is 3-4 seconds. Are we on the same page so far? I'm not sure if your correct on that math, but using .1 seconds of speed extrapolated over 3-4 seconds, that is a .3 to .4 advantage. Agreed?

Running at 20 miles an hour, how much extra ground do you think a player would run in an extra .3 to .4 seconds? Quite a bit is the answer. Heck the difference in an extra .1 seconds added is probably 2 feet or more.

I think McFarland accelerates quickly enough, and hits a top speed that will allow him to blow by ends and beat most linebackers to the edge.

Defenses are going to have to account for this, and Randy F can get creative by moving the coverage to the other side via motion, or deployment giving the back have extra space to run before worrying about a defender.

Pitch and counter plays sure can work, you just need a fast back who accelerates well, which we have. These plays work best on the long side of the field especially if the defense is tired with a tip off of their hands on their hips and breathing hard. Pitches also work on the goal line.

I know. I coached this game.

Let's see what McFarland does if the Steelers call tosses, or counters to McFarland. I think we've got something we did not have before. Plays Conner isn't suited to run.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Conner is at 5.6 yards per run so far this year....4.5 in his pro bowl year in 2018...And he is fine as receiver...Conner is the steelers number 1 RB and McFarland could be a good complement for Conner but he will not be a number 1 RB...At least not now....Also don't forget that the texans did not know that McFarland would played so they were not prepared against him.
    I like Conner but he's not the same player. 2018 was a long time ago. RB's can age in dog years especially if they are hurt. There is no way Conner will be at 5.6 yards per rush in a full season. Keep in mind Conner achieved what he has so far vs winless teams, and did not look good vs the Giants. He had tremendous blocking on his long runs, plays that if McFarland was the back, he would have had more yardage and possibly taken it to the house.

I agree Conner is the top back for now, but McFarland can quickly become 1B.

Conner is still always the same player when he is healthy... Last year he had no QB in his team, which is a killer for almost every RB ... I'm not saying that Conner is elite, but he is above average when he is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Conner is still always the same player when he is healthy... Last year he had no QB in his team, which is a killer for almost every RB ... I'm not saying that Conner is elite, but he is above average when he is healthy.
    Above average when healthy? I can go with that, but he's also fumble prone and will become more injury prone as his career progresses. He really does not fit what the NFL wants out of its backs either.

No way should the Steelers give him a rich long term deal. I hope another team does, I'll take the 2022 comp pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Above average when healthy? I can go with that, but he's also fumble prone and will become more injury prone as his career progresses. He really does not fit what the NFL wants out of its backs either.

No way should the Steelers give him a rich long term deal. I hope another team does, I'll take the 2022 comp pick.
    I'm only talking about this year ..... Let the 2020 season play out before thinking about the next season.Sometimes things can change very quickly in this league.I don't care about 2021 right now.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So much for McFarland getting more touches. 3 carries wasnt a real chance, but he only got 6 yards. I would like to see more of a chance, but a lot of scouts said Javon Leake was the best RB at Maryland and there may be something to that.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Anthony McFarland’s Earned More Playing Time, Tomlin Says

McFarland was the starter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    McFarland was the starter!!
    Willie Parker rarely saw the field at NC 285 carries over 4 years ..

his competition is listed below , not exactly household names yet the coaching staff couldnt manage to carve out a role for a guy who would go on to be a pro bowl RB in the NFL..

its not always the talent level , not saying Leake is more talented than McFarland but it wouldnt be the first time if he was ..

Many thoughts that Franco Harris was the 2nd best back coming out of Penn state when the steelers took him over Lydell Mitchell ... history shows otherwise or does circumstances ? that may be the question of the ages ???

Michael Harris

Jacque Lewis

Mahlon Carey

Drayton Henderson

D.J. Walker

Dokun Olagoke

Rikki Cook

Matthew Bolt

Chad Scott

Thomas Pryor

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

McFarland probably saw fewer snaps because of pass protections.