Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony McFarland’s Earned More Playing Time, Tomlin Says

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Anthony McFarland’s Earned More Playing Time, Tomlin Says

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Anthony McFarland’s Earned More Playing Time, Tomlin Says

He brings a different skillset to the backfield with his quickness and 4.4 speed. Very Kamara like.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Hmm, Connor has had two 100 yard games in a row. So, I don't think he'll see his carries reduced. Looks like Benny Snell Football is going to be Riding-the-Pine football.

Steelers need to manage Conner as often as possible for that he can stays healthy for the whole season.The use of Conner in the last two games has been good for the steelers and McFarland could be a very good backup for Conner and make some big play in a game if he has 7-10 carries in a game.

The steelers ran at least 30 times in 2 of their first 3 games.It would be silly to give 25 carry to Conner, especially knowing his injury history and he's more tired in a game when his workload is heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Steelers need to manage Conner as often as possible for that he can stays healthy for the whole season.The use of Conner in the last two games has been good for the steelers and McFarland could be a very good backup for Conner and make some big play in a game if he has 7-10 carries in a game.

The steelers ran at least 30 times in 2 of their first 3 games.It would be silly to give 25 carry to Conner, especially knowing his injury history and he's more tired in a game when his workload is heavier.
    The thing is, however, the Steelers and coaching staff all ascribe to the feature-back approach and Conner is that back. So, whether we like it or not, he's going to get his 20+ touches a game. The question. then, is from whom will McFarland take away touches? Will it be Snell or will it be the receivers? I don't see the game plan changing just to give McFarland more touches. So, the only person left is Snell. I'd be surprised if he got more than 4 touches next week (except for an injury, or we go up big early and just run out the clock the entire second half).

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Tomlin always is looking for someone to play the 3rd and short/4th down RB. I see him leaning towards Snell.

I think AntMacc is going to get the every 3rd or 4th series carries unless the game dictates otherwise. I still want to see him in blocking situations and pass catching.

The thing is, however, the Steelers and coaching staff all ascribe to the feature-back approach and Conner is that back. So, whether we like it or not, he's going to get his 20+ touches a game. The question. then, is from whom will McFarland take away touches? Will it be Snell or will it be the receivers? I don't see the game plan changing just to give McFarland more touches. So, the only person left is Snell. I'd be surprised if he got more than 4 touches next week (except for an injury, or we go up big early and just run out the clock the entire second half).
    Conner is the feature back,but it don't mean he have to play 90% of the snaps.The game vs Denver,Conner was on the field for 77% of the snaps...66% vs Texans.The steelers are careful with him and it's the right decision

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Tomlin always is looking for someone to play the 3rd and short/4th down RB. I see him leaning towards Snell.

I think AntMacc is going to get the every 3rd or 4th series carries unless the game dictates otherwise. I still want to see him in blocking situations and pass catching.
    Yeah, I think that if they give McFarland some reps, it gives Conner some rest, it gives the defense a different look of a back with more speed and it allows Conner to be the short yardage back, while Samuels will be on the field in 3rd down and long passing situations.

If they dress all their RB's, it gives them the option of Snell being the short yardage back, but I think Conner did a better job in short yardage last week.

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

instead of fast willy, we now have fast Anthony. All it will take is one breakout run and this kid will surpass Connor for rushes. He is the home run back they are hoping for. Make him prove them wrong. Connor is great, but we know his story. Next up.....
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by PalmerSteel View Post
    instead of fast willy, we now have fast Anthony. All it will take is one breakout run and this kid will surpass Connor for rushes. He is the home run back they are hoping for. Make him prove them wrong. Connor is great, but we know his story. Next up.....
    I don't think this is a good idea to give 15-20 carries in every game to a small back as McFarland.He is more a complement to his starter

I also believe that the fact that Willie Parker had over 300 carries in 2006 and 2007 shortened his career a lot.

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

I don't think this is a good idea to give 15-20 carries in every game to a small back as McFarland.He is more a complement to his starter

I also believe that the fact that Willie Parker had over 300 carries in 2006 and 2007 shortened his career a lot.
    He is only 200 lbs, but only 5'8" so not that small. 3 years if same as willie's crest of career? We would take that in a heartbeat!!
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

McFarland has had his share of injuries, like a broken fibula as a HS Senior and a nagging ankle issue at Maryland. Those that complain about Conner's durability should not expect McFarland to be a workhorse. His Maryland teammate Javon Leake was a more durable runner.

I agree that using him as a compliment to another back and a change of pace guy with 4.44 speed is and should be his role.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

When Conner is healthy he is a top tier RB. Why is that so hard for people to accept? He is a threat in all phases of the game and brings capabilities to the table that no other RB on the current roster does. McFarland may be good. He may not be. But his size/speed and UM performance indicates that he is best used as a complimentary RB. I can not understand the rush to banish Conner to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    When Conner is healthy he is a top tier RB. Why is that so hard for people to accept? He is a threat in all phases of the game and brings capabilities to the table that no other RB on the current roster does. McFarland may be good. He may not be. But his size/speed and UM performance indicates that he is best used as a complimentary RB. I can not understand the rush to banish Conner to the bench.
    100% agree...Six rings wanted before the draft to trade Conner for a 6th round pick

Conner is maybe the most underrated steelers after Dupree since that like you said when he is healthy,he is very good.

And McFarland could be very good as complimentary RB but I am not sure that Bill O'Brien knew who McFarland was before this game!

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Conner was hailed as a savior and hero in 2018 when he took over for LeVeon Bell and put up just as good, if not better numbers than LeVeon. Then 2019 was washed out by injuries.....and when he did play, he like everyone else was also affected by the absence of Ben.

So his previous injuries are being held against him as the Steelers get going in 2020, which is really unfair. People claim he is soft and not an NFL caliber RB, but his production when healthy and with competent QB play indicate otherwise. He is a key piece of this offense, and if he can be signed to a reasonable deal this next offseason, then I would be happy if remains with the Steelers beyond this year. I know money is likely going to be very tight, so I don't know what will happen or what type of $$$ Connor will want.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

100% agree...Six rings wanted before the draft to trade Conner for a 6th round pick

Conner is maybe the most underrated steelers after Dupree since that like you said when he is healthy,he is very good.

And McFarland could be very good as complimentary RB but I am not sure that Bill O'Brien knew who McFarland was before this game!
    Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Conner was hailed as a savior and hero in 2018 when he took over for LeVeon Bell and put up just as good, if not better numbers than LeVeon. Then 2019 was washed out by injuries.....and when he did play, he like everyone else was also affected by the absence of Ben.

So his previous injuries are being held against him as the Steelers get going in 2020, which is really unfair. People claim he is soft and not an NFL caliber RB, but his production when healthy and with competent QB play indicate otherwise. He is a key piece of this offense, and if he can be signed to a reasonable deal this next offseason, then I would be happy if remains with the Steelers beyond this year. I know money is likely going to be very tight, so I don't know what will happen or what type of $$$ Connor will want.
    Agree with all of this. I suspect Conner walks out and gets $$$ somewhere else. They have too many guys that are going to need paid. I also think Feiler, McDonald, VW, Hilton, AV, and Haden may be joining him -- but that is another thread.

Conner is the feature back,but it don't mean he have to play 90% of the snaps.The game vs Denver,Conner was on the field for 77% of the snaps...66% vs Texans.The steelers are careful with him and it's the right decision
    Again, I'm not arguing that. All I'm saying is that I doubt his carries decrease due to McFarland's carries increasing. Instead, they'll shuffle carries that Snell or Samuels would get to him, unless it is a short yardage situation (those, I think, they'll still give to Snell).

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Attrition due to injuries will happen soon enough and they’ll be looking to sign RBs off the street. I wouldn’t worry about someone getting carries. It’ll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Attrition due to injuries will happen soon enough and they’ll be looking to sign RBs off the street. I wouldn’t worry about someone getting carries. It’ll happen.
    This comment happened and somewhere James Conner sprained an ankle. I blame you.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d like to see him take Benny Snells snaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Week1- Conner is terrible and injury prone, Snell is the future!
    Week2- Snell is terrible, Conner played great but is still injury prone!
    Week3- Snell is still terrible, Conner is gone after this year, McFarland is the 2nd coming of FWP!
    Weeks 4-17????

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Week3- Snell is still terrible, Conner is gone after this year, McFarland is the 2nd coming of FWP!
    Weeks 4-17????
    Week 8 They all suck. Bring back Leave'on Bell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Weeks 4-17????
    Lol. QFT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Weeks 4-17????
    Week 4...COVID 19, Steelers 17.

"Trade Conner for a draft pick and select Michael Osterholm- University of Minnesota, Epidemiologist in the 5th round." Published over 300 peer reviewed papers and a 2017 Bestselling book. Played O line at Waukon Highschool in Iowa. Not an outstanding athlete, but makes up for it in effort and microscope skills.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

"Trade Conner for a draft pick and select Michael Osterholm- University of Minnesota, Epidemiologist in the 5th round." Published over 300 peer reviewed papers and a 2017 Bestselling book. Played O line at Waukon Highschool in Iowa. Not an outstanding athlete, but makes up for it in effort and microscope skills.
    No way. In the Steelers system any epidemiologist can put up those numbers. No need to spend a decent mid round pick.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Did the CDC officiate? That COVID score seems a little high....

No way. In the Steelers system any epidemiologist can put up those numbers. No need to spend a decent mid round pick.
    Not sure he will still be on the board in the 6th round. Its not any worse than drafting a punter with the 4th round pick IMO..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Did the CDC officiate? That COVID score seems a little high....
    That is the COVID score from Australia. The one from the US is substantially higher.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Agree with all of this. I suspect Conner walks out and gets $$$ somewhere else. They have too many guys that are going to need paid. I also think Feiler, McDonald, VW, Hilton, AV, and Haden may be joining him -- but that is another thread.

You got that right. After watching his backs wear down with no real plan B late in the year Tomlin is limiting Conner's carries. Eureka.

IMO, McFarland opens up or playbook with the ability to take it outside. Suddenly sweeps or quick tosses must be defensed, and McFarland has rare execration and good speed to beat an end or linebacker to the sideline and pick up yardage. With Conner , its mostly in between the tackles or off tackle at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post

IMO, McFarland opens up or playbook with the ability to take it outside. Suddenly sweeps or quick tosses must be defensed, and McFarland has rare execration and good speed to beat an end or linebacker to the sideline and pick up yardage. With Conner , its mostly in between the tackles or off tackle at best.
    do you know the distance from the opposite hash mark to the sidelines of an NFL Football Field? Because that is the longest that a RB like McFarland will ever run to avoid a defender on a pitch or toss to the outside.

Its 30 YDS...and considering the RB has to turn it upfield to make any real gain, then its more like a 25 yard straight line run. McFarland ran a 4.44, while both Nate Gerry and Duke Riley of the Eagles LB group ran 4.58 at their combines. That 0.1 second speed advantage over 25-30 yards, running to the edge of an NFL field isnt that much of a deal.

McFarland is a bigger threat running off tackle, or between the tackles, not pitches and tosses because nobody in the NFL runs an actual sweep, like they do in college where the hashmarks are wider and the athletes are slower.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Hmm, Connor has had two 100 yard games in a row. So, I don't think he'll see his carries reduced. Looks like Benny Snell Football is going to be Riding-the-Pine football.

While this is true, Conner had tremendous blocking on some of his long runs, plays with the same blocking McFarland would have probably scored.

The NFL has transformed form your traditional 4 yards per carry to backs capable of big plays ( 20 yards or more ) in the running or passing department. McFarland fits that role better than Conner does.

For now, it seems like Tomlin's plan appears to be using McFarland after some time has passed, and the opposing defense it tires.