Thread: TJ Watt - AFC Defensive Player of the Week

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

TJ Watt - AFC Defensive Player of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: TJ Watt - AFC Defensive Player of the Week

This is just one of the many he will compile over the course of his career.

He is at the James Harrison level in his prime. Basically, if you don't hold him, he's going to make the play. He has been getting mugged by offensive linemen but is still putting up ridiculous numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    This is just one of the many he will compile over the course of his career.

He is at the James Harrison level in his prime. Basically, if you don't hold him, he's going to make the play. He has been getting mugged by offensive linemen but is still putting up ridiculous numbers.
    I wouldn't go that far. James Harrison had the ability to physically manhandle pretty much anyone on the football field. He could sing-handedly take over games. I'm not saying Watt won't, but he's not there yet.

Now, if you're arguing straight production? Maybe, I'd have to go back and check stats and as well as watch a few games again. But presence on the field? No (at least, not yet).

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. James Harrison had the ability to physically manhandle pretty much anyone on the football field. He could sing-handedly take over games. I'm not saying Watt won't, but he's not there yet.

Now, if you're arguing straight production? Maybe, I'd have to go back and check stats and as well as watch a few games again. But presence on the field? No (at least, not yet).
    Pczach is right and he is getting mug like James and refs are looking the other way.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It's not just about stats. Watts impact on every game is immense.

There is a lot more to the game than just physically dominating the man in front of you. Harrison didn't have the range or the pure athleticism to cover, knock down passes, or intercept passes in the same way that Watt does. Watt also causes turnovers at a staggering rate. His first step is just silly.

You saw it often last year, and now you have been able to see it in both games this year. Offensive linemen are basically holding him on every play. Now, when he plays against elite OTs it won't happen as often and he will lose some battles....but Watt is a superstar right now.

He's as good as anyone in the NFL....period.

He already ranks 10th among Steelers all-time in sacks. He's 25 for crying out loud. He's a dominant player, and is as complete a defensive player as I can think of.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This was a no-brainer

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's not just about stats. Watts impact on every game is immense.

There is a lot more to the game than just physically dominating the man in front of you. Harrison didn't have the range or the pure athleticism to cover, knock down passes, or intercept passes in the same way that Watt does. Watt also causes turnovers at a staggering rate. His first step is just silly.

You saw it often last year, and now you have been able to see it in both games this year. Offensive linemen are basically holding him on every play. Now, when he plays against elite OTs it won't happen as often and he will lose some battles....but Watt is a superstar right now.

He's as good as anyone in the NFL....period.

He already ranks 10th among Steelers all-time in sacks. He's 25 for crying out loud. He's a dominant player, and is as complete a defensive player as I can think of.
    Let me ask you this question. If you could get James H. in his prime, or keep Watt, and have both of them for the same length of time, who would you choose? For me, at this point, it's still Harrison. You're right, it's not just about the guy in front of you. Harrison controlled his half of the field in his prime. Watt isn't there, yet.

In my opinion, this is a case of the latest is best because it's freshest in our memory. Again, this isn't a dig on Watt. He's turned into a great Linebacker. I just don't think he's currently as good as Harrison was in his prime but he's on his way to being so.

Let me ask you this question. If you could get James H. in his prime, or keep Watt, and have both of them for the same length of time, who would you choose? For me, at this point, it's still Harrison. You're right, it's not just about the guy in front of you. Harrison controlled his half of the field in his prime. Watt isn't there, yet.

In my opinion, this is a case of the latest is best because it's freshest in our memory. Again, this isn't a dig on Watt. He's turned into a great Linebacker. I just don't think he's currently as good as Harrison was in his prime but he's on his way to being so.

I hear what you're saying, but I think you're short changing Watt. He finished third in the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award last year.....and he looks like he's gotten better this year and is clearly one of the early favorites for the award this year.

Watt has accomplished what he has already, at an age that is younger than when Harrison became an NFL starter and was cut a half a dozen times. None of us know what will happen with injuries in the future, but right now I would take Watt. This is from a guy that believes Harrison was just flat-out dominant in his prime. I think Watt will ultimately be considered better in nearly every way, and he will have a longer and more productive career than James did.

This is in no way a shot at Harrison. He was a legendary player that put fear into the hearts of big-ass grown men like few that have ever played the game. It's just that I think that highly of Watt.

As Steelers fans, we have certainly been blessed with the talent we have been fortunate enough to watch play this game.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Well as of now Watt is a better teammate than Harrison ever was. Let's just enjoy Watt and his dominance while we can