Thread: This is a nice breakdown of the Fant Touchdown

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is a nice breakdown of the Fant Touchdown

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/09/fi...noah-fants-td/

I certainly learned a bunch of things. Your mileage may vary.

Anyone have a gauge if the Steelers defensive design asks more, less, or average of their players on the mental side?

Re: This is a nice breakdown of the Fant Touchdown

That's a very good breakdown, and also a very good example of why the average fan really doesn't have enough information to determine who failed on what play. Schemes are so complex in the NFL that someone who looks as if they were completely burnt really played his position perfectly, and then tried to cover for someone else's mistake. And likewise, someone not even in the picture at the end was the one at fault.

I really am pretty amazed at how complex these schemes are.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    That's a very good breakdown, and also a very good example of why the average fan really doesn't have enough information to determine who failed on what play. Schemes are so complex in the NFL that someone who looks as if they were completely burnt really played his position perfectly, and then tried to cover for someone else's mistake. And likewise, someone not even in the picture at the end was the one at fault.

I really am pretty amazed at how complex these schemes are.
    I was certainly ready, and I believe I did somewhere, lay the blame on Bush. That appears to be incorrrect.

Agreed, these things some complex. Especially in light of the fact that everyone involved has one, maybe two steps to make a decision. I can rarely decide anything that quickly.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

The last paragraph of the article is the one that makes my sphincter pucker:

Coverage busts will happen but it continues to be a trend that Edmunds finds himself being the weak link in coverage. In his 3rd season, these are the types of plays you should be comfortable with your 1st-round safety diagnosing. Here’s to hoping he minimizes these types of mistakes this year as I’m sure opposing offenses are going to have him under the microscope and continue to try to put him in tough spots as the season progresses.
    Before the end of his rookie season, Bush was making fewer mistakes and seemingly was no longer out of position in any of his coverage responsibilities. By the end of his sophomore season, MFF emerged as possibly the best FS in the NFL. But here we are in Edmunds' third season, and he's still a step late to react, and reading the wrong coverages. He'll clearly be the weak link in the secondary for some time to come due to all of the talent around him - but I was sure hoping that the lights would finally come on for our first round pick by his 3rd season.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    The last paragraph of the article is the one that makes my sphincter pucker:

Before the end of his rookie season, Bush was making fewer mistakes and seemingly was no longer out of position in any of his coverage responsibilities. By the end of his sophomore season, MFF emerged as possibly the best FS in the NFL. But here we are in Edmunds' third season, and he's still a step late to react, and reading the wrong coverages. He'll clearly be the weak link in the secondary for some time to come due to all of the talent around him - but I was sure hoping that the lights would finally come on for our first round pick by his 3rd season.
    Fair enough and I think a pretty common POV.

That was why I asked if anyone had a read on how complicated Steelers defense was compared to others. Like is Edmunds struggling mentally with just normal NFL stuff or is he being asked to take on a complicated role in a really mentally taxing defense?

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Fair enough and I think a pretty common POV.

That was why I asked if anyone had a read on how complicated Steelers defense was compared to others. Like is Edmunds struggling mentally with just normal NFL stuff or is he being asked to take on a complicated role in a really mentally taxing defense?
    He screwed up, I get it - it happens. However, there were 3 key read responsibilites on that coverage: SS, NCB, ILB. Hilton and Bush played it right. But 2 out of 3 won't cut it in today's NFL.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I was certainly ready, and I believe I did somewhere, lay the blame on Bush. That appears to be incorrrect.

Agreed, these things some complex. Especially in light of the fact that everyone involved has one, maybe two steps to make a decision. I can rarely decide anything that quickly.
    I too initially thought it was Bush and the announcers did as well. Very good breakdown and if anything, this season is showing that Edmunds may be the weak link on this defense.

One thing I have been noticing is that the middle of the field between about 7 and 15 yards always seems to be open or the soft spot against this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I too initially thought it was Bush and the announcers did as well. Very good breakdown and if anything, this season is showing that Edmunds may be the weak link on this defense.

One thing I have been noticing is that the middle of the field between about 7 and 15 yards always seems to be open or the soft spot against this team.
    To be fair, the area you are laying out is kinda a "soft spot" for every team? I think, but don't know, it is just hard to defend that area. No sideline to pin a guy against. Not a way to get a lot of "help" defenders involved. If you are in zone, it is often the area where all the zones start to overlap, so you have to pass guys off. Again, what do I know...but watching the NFL each week and repeatedly big plays are made in that area across the league....

To be fair, the area you are laying out is kinda a "soft spot" for every team? I think, but don't know, it is just hard to defend that area. No sideline to pin a guy against. Not a way to get a lot of "help" defenders involved. If you are in zone, it is often the area where all the zones start to overlap, so you have to pass guys off. Again, what do I know...but watching the NFL each week and repeatedly big plays are made in that area across the league....
    Not to mention it's a place for rubbing off defenders with crossing routes and, like the flat, a good place for a TE or RB to move into after the WRs clear out the area of defenders.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This is a nice breakdown of the Fant Touchdown

Unless your the Steelers offense and then it’s one of the most difficult areas to complete a pass...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler