Thread: Are we going to be able to beat the Ravens?

Junior Member Array title="RenegadeReturns is an unknown quantity at this point">

Are we going to be able to beat the Ravens?

Hello everyone,

I'm back! I missed this place so much. Living near Baltipoor Maryland the last 2 years has made football insufferable. At 2-0 with a workable schedule, what are the realistic expectations for this team? Is a deep run possible? Will the Ravens come back down to earth? Or are they inevitable...like Thanos.

Just some thoughts. The last 2 games, the steelers looked like they did when I was in middle/high school and winning superbowls. It did my heart good.

Whatcha think?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Are we going to be able to beat the Ravens?

The talent is there but the coaching staff puts them at a disadvantage against the top teams in the AFC

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

With Ben you always have a chance. Defense worries me more than the offense though. They can rush the passer, but the secondary play has been below the line.

That being said, I still think Baltimore is the better team right now. That could change over the course of the season, but as far as now, the Ravens look like one of the best teams, if not the best in the NFL

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It kinda depends on a couple of things. Can Lamar Jackson make teams pay down the field consistently enough that they can't crowd the line of scrimmage with safeties like the Titans did in the playoffs? Can the Steelers put a 3+ safety package together that even forces the Ravens to answer this question? Can the offense play mistake free enough to match the Ravens in a shoot-out?

On paper the 2020 Pittsburgh Steelers have as good a shot as anyone in the AFC in beating the Ravens. But the Ravens just finished going 14-2 and opened up their first 2 weeks like a juggernaut.

I guess that is a solid maybe from me, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ravens just played the texans. Steelers play the Texans next. Might get a better measure after this week on what teams can do vs the same opponent. Then some breakdown analysis of what works, what doesn't, what we do well, what the ravens do well, weaknesses, etc...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

The history of this rivalry shows that it will be usually close games (3 pts) no matter what the records are. I expect nothing less.

They do have the better kicker so if it's close, they will likely win.

First game at Heinz Field last year will show you what the games this year will likely be .

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I see us splitting with both teams winning at home but they will have a better overall record and win the division because Tomlin (and staff) will succeed at blowing winnable games like we almost did this past Sunday.

That said the Ravens are one of the top three teams in the league right now (along with/ Green Bay, KC). I would not be surprised if they sweep us or win the Superbowl. Although it's a long season and injuries happen so after only two weeks it's tough to call.

Don't sleep on the Raiders either they looked really good against the Saints who I had picked as a Superbowl team.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Should worry about beating the Texans. That may wind up as a loss if they can’t stop Watson. Texans are probably more hungry at this stage...they’re not looking to go 0-3...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Should worry about beating the Texans. That may wind up as a loss if they can’t stop Watson. Texans are probably more hungry at this stage...they’re not looking to go 0-3...
    Exactly. We have to win games we're favored in if we want ANY chance of keeping up with the Ravens. We need the Chiefs to beat the Ravens this week as well!

Junior Member Array title="RenegadeReturns is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This is more of what I meant. When I said beat the Ravens, I didnt mean the games per se. I meant, is it possible this week and in the weeks following to keep pace? Is this a winnable division?

The only way I see it, is win the easy games, of which there are many on the schedule, split with the ravens, and hope the rat birds mess up twice.

Of course it means nothing if the steelers dont take it one game at a time.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The talent is there but the coaching staff puts them at a disadvantage against the top teams in the AFC

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Steelers have the athletes on both sides of the ball to challenge the Ravens defense and blunt their offense. The biggest problem is that the Ravens are just refining and improving on what they did in 2019. The Steelers are rebuilding their offense on the fly. Can they get up to speed fast enough to provide a serious challenge? No Idea.

The Texans game will be their first legitimate test. The Giants and Broncos are not doing much this year. Texans likely find their way into the playoff field.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Ravens just played the texans. Steelers play the Texans next. Might get a better measure after this week on what teams can do vs the same opponent. Then some breakdown analysis of what works, what doesn't, what we do well, what the ravens do well, weaknesses, etc...
    Theoretically, this should be right, but it's any given Sunday in the NFL. I don't hold it to any sort of barometer. Steelers have proved this several times...you can look like an elite team for 1 week, then lose to a far less superior team the next. I just hope they come ready out the gate and play with a sense of urgency for 60 minutes...That will prove a lot to me.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Theoretically, this should be right, but it's any given Sunday in the NFL. I don't hold it to any sort of barometer. Steelers have proved this several times...you can look like an elite team for 1 week, then lose to a far less superior team the next. I just hope they come ready out the gate and play with a sense of urgency for 60 minutes...That will prove a lot to me.
    Obviously you're right. But to answer a question I thought was can the Steelers beat the Ravens, without the blanket 'yes', I offered a way to measure the liklihood.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

The Steelers have to play better and, improve to the beat the Ravens. Right now Ravens are playing well but, it's early in the season. I still think the Steelers with Ben back at QB and, this offense could beat any team. Plus what the defense can do as well.