Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Balls and Goats Denver Game

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Game Balls and Goats Denver Game

Game ball, 1st half Steelers

Goats, 2nd half Steelers

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Game Balls and Goats Denver Game

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Game ball, 1st half Steelers

Goats, 2nd half Steelers
    This. Playing calling and turning our defense into prevent sucked ass.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Game Balls and Goats Denver Game

Game Balls - TJ Watt, Dupree, Alualu, Ben Roethlisberger, Receiving Corp

Goats - Penalties, coaching, Diontae Johnson, Benny Snell, Devin Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Heroes: T.J Watt, Ben

Goats: Coaching Staff, Special Teams, Penalties.

This game as a whole was a coaching meltdown that the Steelers escaped.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Game Balls: 1st half pass rush for all the sacks.
    Chase Claypool is a true player.
    TJ Watt with multiple sacks including the critical sack to force a field goal in the 2nd half
    James Connor actually did things and ended the game.
    Kevin Dotson was giving Connor some push

Game Goats: This team's sad excuse for killer instincts
    The pass defense for letting Jeff Drisckell top 250 yards for them (Imagine what an NFL caliber QB would have done)
    The special teams still sucks ass
    The coaching remains substandard
    Benny Snell's fumble kept them in it
    Mike Tomlin still plays down to bad teams, bad QBs, and can't finish anything prior to the last minute. Also for STILL not figuring out that Danny Smith should be fired.
    And of course Randy Fichtner. He still can't put together a semi coherent offensive game plan or make playcalls that are remotely coherent. But he's still here and probably will remain here because it takes Tomlin years after the normal person to detect incompetence in players and coaches
    Minkah Fitzpatrick has been horrible these first two games. Closer to Sean Davis/Cam Kelly levels than to where he was last year

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I thought Kevin Dotson looked good as well as Chuks. Broncos overloaded that side to bring pressure sometimes, but overall I thought they did well. It is encouraging that they did not look overwhelmed or lost out there.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I wasn’t able to actually watch the game but followed along through much of it on Gamecast. My big question is why Minkah hasn’t had more of an impact? Is he truly playing badly or is he just off to a quiet start?

I know it can be difficult for fans to truly know who is doing what and where blame lies on certain plays, but some of you are really good at this kind of analysis. Any theories?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This was preseason week 2. A almost totally new offensive line. A rusty QB Playing with only 3 or 4 skill position players he's played more than 5 quarters with.

Take a breath. It's gonna be fine.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I wasn’t able to actually watch the game but followed along through much of it on Gamecast. My big question is why Minkah hasn’t had more of an impact? Is he truly playing badly or is he just off to a quiet start?

I know it can be difficult for fans to truly know who is doing what and where blame lies on certain plays, but some of you are really good at this kind of analysis. Any theories?
    Ben R has summarized it pretty well: https://steelersdepot.com/2020/09/de...o-play-better/

"A lot of the throws tonight that I missed are just me needing to trust myself and trust that the guys are in the right spots because they are in the right places. Hopefully it’ll come.”

Guys were open. Plays were there to be made. Ben was late and not decisive. He isn't playing loose and fast yet. He looks like a guy who hasn't played for a year and didn't get any preseason game reps.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ben R has summarized it pretty well: https://steelersdepot.com/2020/09/de...o-play-better/

"A lot of the throws tonight that I missed are just me needing to trust myself and trust that the guys are in the right spots because they are in the right places. Hopefully it’ll come.”

Guys were open. Plays were there to be made. Ben was late and not decisive. He isn't playing loose and fast yet. He looks like a guy who hasn't played for a year and didn't get any preseason game reps.
    He actually looks a little better than that...lol.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Happy for 2-0, Snell needs to hold on to the ball, 2 fumbles in 2 games will get you out of the NFL in a hurry if it ain’t fixed

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Hope Ben realize later he was playing a day game. That could have been the problem.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Tomlin made a really good point. He mentioned how Much knows our defense intimately and some really good adjustments along with having the run game for the Broncos very well prepared. Hence a lot of success initially with their run game.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Penalties and Turnovers!!! 2 turnovers and 10penalties for 89 yards. THAT is what kept the Broncos in this game.

Game ball for the win.

Goat for the sloppy play and costly mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Hope Ben realize later he was playing a day game. That could have been the problem.
    Maybe he needs a new watch? Or all that unscheduled injury time off and COVID quarantine has him all messed up?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He actually looks a little better than that...lol.
    Sort of. He was pretty good. But he did not look decisive whenever the play broke down and he had to go to the 3rd+ option or improvise.

And that is, at least for me, totally expected. He hasn't played real football for a year this past Monday.

Play all the 7 on 7 or half-speed stuff you want. Not the same as game-speed where the other team can hit you.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Pass defense thus far surrenderd 535 yards combined to Daniel Jones and Jeff Driskell Sorry but that's not gonna cut it. Pass defense thus far has been subpar

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Games balls the pass rush

game goats , the refs with phantom calls , poor calls and missed call on fumble when the game could have been iced early
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Pass defense thus far surrenderd 535 yards combined to Daniel Jones and Jeff Driskell Sorry but that's not gonna cut it. Pass defense thus far has been subpar
    Well, the first game was 100% sell out to stop Barkley, so . . .

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Game Balls: 1st half pass rush for all the sacks.
    Chase Claypool is a true player.
    TJ Watt with multiple sacks including the critical sack to force a field goal in the 2nd half
    James Connor actually did things and ended the game.
    Kevin Dotson was giving Connor some push

Game Goats: This team's sad excuse for killer instincts
    The pass defense for letting Jeff Drisckell top 250 yards for them (Imagine what an NFL caliber QB would have done)
    The special teams still sucks ass
    The coaching remains substandard
    Benny Snell's fumble kept them in it
    Mike Tomlin still plays down to bad teams, bad QBs, and can't finish anything prior to the last minute. Also for STILL not figuring out that Danny Smith should be fired.
    And of course Randy Fichtner. He still can't put together a semi coherent offensive game plan or make playcalls that are remotely coherent. But he's still here and probably will remain here because it takes Tomlin years after the normal person to detect incompetence in players and coaches
    Minkah Fitzpatrick has been horrible these first two games. Closer to Sean Davis/Cam Kelly levels than to where he was last year
    I thought I was the only one disappointed with Minkah so far this year. He is a terrible tackler and, since, he isn't ball hawking like he was last year, not wanting to stick his nose in and make a tackle is a problem.

Ben also seems reluctant to throw inside the hashes. He has a couple of big targets in Ebron and McDonald but they aren't getting targets in the middle of the field.

Istina

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I thought Kevin Dotson looked good as well as Chuks. Broncos overloaded that side to bring pressure sometimes, but overall I thought they did well. It is encouraging that they did not look overwhelmed or lost out there.
    Kevin Dotson was a 4 year starter at Louisiana, an all american O lineman and a guy that ran 4.80 and benched 34 reps in a private pro day during the lockdown. The guy is the future at OG of the Steelers and will likely make Feiler expendable in 2021.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Ben has turned into a real class act over time ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

our 3rd down mindset we need to stop drawing penalties.
    refs hyperfocus on 3rd down. we always seem to extend drives for opponents when its 3rd and long

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Kevin Dotson was a 4 year starter at Louisiana, an all american O lineman and a guy that ran 4.80 and benched 34 reps in a private pro day during the lockdown. The guy is the future at OG of the Steelers and will likely make Feiler expendable in 2021.

I read that Dotson did not get invited to the Combine, despite being an All American, and since pro days were shut down by Corona he had to videotape his own "combine" drills and make that available to teams. The reports of what was on those tapes indicate that compared against the combine stats this year he was the fastest O-lineman at 4.80 40-yard dash, had the 2nd strongest bench press performance, was 3rd in something else, and then was still in the top 10 for the vertical jump and the broad jump.

First, how does he not get invited to the combine, and then how does he slide to the 4th round? I'm not proclaiming him an all-pro yet or anything like that, but he certainly looks like a guy who got slighted and should have been drafted higher.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    our 3rd down mindset we need to stop drawing penalties.
    refs hyperfocus on 3rd down. we always seem to extend drives for opponents when its 3rd and long
    This game really had a feel of the zebras trying to keep Denver in the game. It seemed less about Pittsburgh committing a ton a penalties and more about the really ticky-tack stuff was being called against them - and not on Denver.

The block in the back on Sutton seemed borderline - and took away a touchdown. No one remembers, because the very next play was the 84-yard bomb to Primus. When the PI flags were thrown on Pittsburgh, they seemed to be coming in reaaally late after the play was over. In the 3rd quarter, Ben was going for Ebron on 4th down, who was clearly held by the DB. No flag. Ebron was incensed.

I hate to blame a win / loss on the zebras, and a win is a win in the NFL. But the flags sure seemed to be one-sided and favoring Denver in a game that should've rightfully been a blowout.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben has turned into a real class act over time ...
    Sadly, except for us fans, no one else will appreciate it.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I was just asking about Minkah. Is he actually playing badly, and what is he doing wrong?

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Ben should get a game ball every week until he retires.
    I mean overall this defense is the same as last year just sacking the QB and getting the ball back with regular 3 and outs.
    Issue last year was putrid QB play and it should've proved to everyone that's a Steelers fan how much of a difference Ben actually makes.
    Considering they were lucky to go 8-8 and with Ben easily 10-6 if not 12-4 and who knows how far they get.

no goats here when you win that's what is most important in football the DUB!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I read that Dotson did not get invited to the Combine, despite being an All American, and since pro days were shut down by Corona he had to videotape his own "combine" drills and make that available to teams. The reports of what was on those tapes indicate that compared against the combine stats this year he was the fastest O-lineman at 4.80 40-yard dash, had the 2nd strongest bench press performance, was 3rd in something else, and then was still in the top 10 for the vertical jump and the broad jump.

First, how does he not get invited to the combine, and then how does he slide to the 4th round? I'm not proclaiming him an all-pro yet or anything like that, but he certainly looks like a guy who got slighted and should have been drafted higher.
    Small School (La. Lafayette), Sun Belt Conference. Not getting a Combine invite is weird IMO. He played well in the East-West Shrine game and I thought would get a late invite to the Senior Bowl, but didnt. It all worked out since he landed with Steelers, but yeah...until somebody organized a private pro day for him and a few others, there was no impartial measurables on him. His 32" vertical is very good for a big guy and his 4.80 40 shows he can move for a big guy too.