Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Balls and Goats Denver Game

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Game Balls and Goats Denver Game

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I think this is the explanation for the "issues" on the back end of the defense. They are putting Nelson, Haden, and Fitzpatrick in high pressure situations with complex coverages/reads in order to bring extra pass rushers. Leads to some of the DPI penalties because, in my opinion, the coverage defenders are concerned that there is no safety net and one catch and run could lead to a TD since there may be no "help" defender available.

I will be interested to see what shifts in defensive gameplan, if any, takes place as the team moves into the more competent QBs on its schedule. In other words, this outlier blitz rate could be either their entire 2020 plan, a plan to attack offenses that had no preseason to get their timing down, or a plan specifically targeted at inexperienced QBs supported by strong RBs in Jones and Lock. I have to imagine they are not planning on blitzing Watson at the same rate...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Haha, it took me awhile to find the Steelers on that chart, was looking where everyone else was, not the top right corner!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think this is the explanation for the "issues" on the back end of the defense. They are putting Nelson, Haden, and Fitzpatrick in high pressure situations with complex coverages/reads in order to bring extra pass rushers. Leads to some of the DPI penalties because, in my opinion, the coverage defenders are concerned that there is no safety net and one catch and run could lead to a TD since there may be no "help" defender available.
    The Slayton TD week one would be a good example of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The Slayton TD week one would be a good example of that...
    Right! So guys, and "rightly" so, are clutching and grabbing rather than risk giving up the TD.

Like I said, the next few weeks against Watson and Fitzpatrick, it will be interesting if they "back off" a bit and put a few more guys in coverages.

But then against the tissue paper curtain that comprises the Eagles o-line, they might just go right back to sending the house. Same with the Bengals.

I don't know. Just a thought I had.

I will be interested to see what shifts in defensive gameplan, if any, takes place as the team moves into the more competent QBs on its schedule. In other words, this outlier blitz rate could be either their entire 2020 plan, a plan to attack offenses that had no preseason to get their timing down, or a plan specifically targeted at inexperienced QBs supported by strong RBs in Jones and Lock. I have to imagine they are not planning on blitzing Watson at the same rate...
    It does add some context when it comes to the DB play. Small room for error for sure.

Maybe they tone it down a bit but I'm not sure they'll shy away from sending the house at Watson. That Texans o-line is putrid, the front 4 alone should have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    It does add some context when it comes to the DB play. Small room for error for sure.

Maybe they tone it down a bit but I'm not sure they'll shy away from sending the house at Watson. That Texans o-line is putrid, the front 4 alone should have a great day.
    True. But if they send the house at Watson, the darn sure better have a "spy" (which takes another player out of coverage) or whoever the most outside pass rusher is better also keep contain or Watson will just eat them up on the ground. He is likely the next best pure runner at QB after Lamar Jackson.

One interesting thing they could start doing is rolling out some "new" sub packages. Last week VW played 83% of the snaps -- https://subscribers.footballguys.com...page-pit-6.php -- and Sutton only played 17% (although I think he got hurt or cramped up...). Interestingly, VW and Bush were precisely where Denver attacked the Steelers with Driskel in and their WR Sutton out of the game. I wonder if we could start seeing more of Sean Davis or Marcus Allen against QBs like Watson and Jackson? Help cover TEs and get better athletes coming at the QB when they choose to run?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

True. But if they send the house at Watson, the darn sure better have a "spy" (which takes another player out of coverage) or whoever the most outside pass rusher is better also keep contain or Watson will just eat them up on the ground. He is likely the next best pure runner at QB after Lamar Jackson.

One interesting thing they could start doing is rolling out some "new" sub packages. Last week VW played 83% of the snaps -- https://subscribers.footballguys.com...page-pit-6.php -- and Sutton only played 17% (although I think he got hurt or cramped up...). Interestingly, VW and Bush were precisely where Denver attacked the Steelers with Driskel in and their WR Sutton out of the game. I wonder if we could start seeing more of Sean Davis or Marcus Allen against QBs like Watson and Jackson? Help cover TEs and get better athletes coming at the QB when they choose to run?
    I agree 100%. I've been waiting for this package to be released. Next week looks like a good opportunity. Sean Davis is not a bad player, so I'm a little surprised he hasn't seen a snap yet.