Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Burrow is the real deal

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Joe Burrow is the real deal

I hope when Ben is finally done we can find a kid this good. He reminds me of Troy Aikman only better. He sees the field really well and is going to be very good for years. Sure the Bengals are 0-2 but the guy in his first prime time game goes 316/3/0. Remember Aikman's first season he won just one game but each year he got better and better until the Cowboys were a Juggernaut.

And last night Aikman was working the game and he even said a couple of times how well Burrow was reading the safeties and not throwing passes that a typical rookie would do. And remember he did all this with no preseason.

Granted he's only played the Chargers and Browns but this kid has the goods.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Joe Burrow is the real deal

We've only seen him in 2 games

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I thought both QBs played well last night. Burrows has been impressive so far. 61 throws though, that's not a good long term plan.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Burrow reminds me of Chad Pennington. Smart player, reads the defenses well, gets the ball out quickly, etc. But that pop-gun arm is gonna catch up with him eventually as it did with Pennington. You simply have to be able to uncork a fastball and jam the ball into a tight window sometimes, and I just don't see that weapon in his arsenal. I think Burrow will look amazing (as Pennington did) for a year or two, and then DCs will figure out a way to exploit that arm strength - and he'll be a JAG before his rookie contract is up.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

We’ve seen two games and teams have zero tape on him...not even preseason snaps.

Give it a few weeks and let’s see what happens. If he continues, good for the Bengals!

He threw 61 times. 13 times to AJ Green who only caught 3 of the targets? He missed a lot of his deeper throws. He got hit 20 times. He’s not going to be able to last with that...
    Last edited by 86WARD; 09-18-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    We’ve seen two games and teams have zero tape on him...not even preseason snaps.

Give it a few weeks and let’s see what happens. If he continues, good for the Bengals!

He threw 61 times. 13 times to AJ Green who only caught 3 of the targets? He missed a lot of his deeper throws. He got hit 20 times. He’s not going to be able to last with that...
    His offensive line is going to get him killed. They are very not good.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Dude might need to get on his wheels to survive the rookie season.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I hope when Ben is finally done we can find a kid this good. He reminds me of Troy Aikman only better. He sees the field really well and is going to be very good for years. Sure the Bengals are 0-2 but the guy in his first prime time game goes 316/3/0. Remember Aikman's first season he won just one game but each year he got better and better until the Cowboys were a Juggernaut.

And last night Aikman was working the game and he even said a couple of times how well Burrow was reading the safeties and not throwing passes that a typical rookie would do. And remember he did all this with no preseason.

Granted he's only played the Chargers and Browns but this kid has the goods.
    Troy can thank his lucky stars that the Vikings gave up a ton of picks for Hershal Walker.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I know it's only two games but I think this kid is going to be a stud, just a feeling.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Burrow looks like he has all the moxie in the world and some good athletic ability to make some plays happen off script.

But prior to 2019 he was an ordinary NCAA QB that no one was really going to draft. Then in 2019 his yards per attempt jumped almost 3 full yards! https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-burrow-1.html

So far, in just two weeks behind an awful offensive line, Burrow is back to a short throwing QB -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...B/BurrJo01.htm -- with less than 5.5 yards per attempt.

To put that # in perspective, Rudolph was at 6.2 yards per attempt last season and I looked it up. Since 2000 (only searched with guys who threw 100+ passes) and Burrow at less than 5.5 yards per attempt would be around #700 on the single season list. In other words, Burrow is setting new records for short useless passes and until he starts challenging defenses downfield successfully, he is nowhere within shouting distance of the 2019 LSU Joe Burrow. That guy can make some serious noise in the NFL. This guy....I really don't know.

After his game against the Chargers, I thought he was gonna be really good. After his game against the Browns, I am not so sure. He was late and inaccurate a great deal.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

To his credit the Browns have a pretty good defense that can give a quarterback fits if you can't run the ball on them. I'm sure Burrow never had anyone on the level of Myles Garrett chasing after him in college

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    To his credit the Browns have a pretty good defense that can give a quarterback fits if you can't run the ball on them. I'm sure Burrow never had anyone on the level of Myles Garrett chasing after him in college
    No doubt. I guess the bottom line is was 2019 LSU Joe Burrow solely a product of coaching (their de facto OC went straight to the NFL) and how light years ahead of their non Clemson opponents LSU'S roster talent was OR a result of Burrow being the trigger man for the offense. Through two weeks it's as clear as mud.

Remember Troy Aikman and the Cowboys went 1-15 in 1989. Then Aikman won 3 out of 4 Superbowls from 1992-1995. Granted the Cowboys were stacked but Aikman didn't "manage" the games either.

Even in a bad effort against the Browns with a shitty offensive line the kid went for 316 yards, 3 TD's and 0 INT's. As Mojouw pointed out he wasn't even his best either missing and late on throws.

Less than 5.5 yards per pass. That is the key thing here. Right now, Burrow completes in the flats and short slants. Nothing else. His coach is managing the game for him and only asking his QB to make fairly easy and safe throws. He is a more precise version of 2019 Mason Rudolph with far superior scrambling ability.

If he doesn't start going downfield, this is all going to end badly. NFL defenses will continue to let him have the throws he is making. No one really cares about those. He had to put it up like, what, 60 times or something to generate those #'s against the Browns.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Instead of starting a new thread I'm going to just throw into a Bengals thread.

How about those Memphis Tigers this week!!!

Darrell Henderson(Rams) 20 carries for 114yards and 1TD
    Antonio Gibson(Football Team) 9carries for 49yds and 1TD
    Stephen Gostkowski(Titans) 6/6 FGs, game winner for the 3rd week in a row, 19 points today vs the Vikings.
    Anthony Miller(Bears) 2catches for 41yards, 1TD(The Game Winner)

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Joe burrow got hit hard that one play. If they want burrow to have any success, theyll protect him starting next offseason. Troy aikman is mentioned, he had the best o-line in football blocking for him.

On a side note: what in the mother of hell were the eagles doing g at game's end?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Instead of starting a new thread I'm going to just throw into a Bengals thread.

How about those Memphis Tigers this week!!!

Darrell Henderson(Rams) 20 carries for 114yards and 1TD
    Antonio Gibson(Football Team) 9carries for 49yds and 1TD
    Stephen Gostkowski(Titans) 6/6 FGs, game winner for the 3rd week in a row, 19 points today vs the Vikings.
    Anthony Miller(Bears) 2catches for 41yards, 1TD(The Game Winner)

You're such a homer!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You're such a homer!
    I totally am!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Less than 5.5 yards per pass. That is the key thing here. Right now, Burrow completes in the flats and short slants. Nothing else. His coach is managing the game for him and only asking his QB to make fairly easy and safe throws. He is a more precise version of 2019 Mason Rudolph with far superior scrambling ability.

If he doesn't start going downfield, this is all going to end badly. NFL defenses will continue to let him have the throws he is making. No one really cares about those. He had to put it up like, what, 60 times or something to generate those #'s against the Browns.
    The difference is that Burrow is getting better and Rudolph got worse!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The difference is that Burrow is getting better and Rudolph got worse!
    That is true. But we are 3 games in. At this point there is film and tendencies for teams to start taking a look at. Scheme and cleverness can only go so far. Now teams are going to start keying in on what Burrow and the Bengals are doing well. Take some of that away. If they just squat on every route because they know that he isn't going deep (or even intermediate) then what starts happening to all those quick throws behind that very leaky offensive line?

Maybe the debut of Tee Higgins and the (hopefully?) resurgence of AJ Green can open things up...

It's about building. Green, Higgins, Burrow, Mixon, Uzumah(sp). Putting together some talent.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    It's about building. Green, Higgins, Burrow, Mixon, Uzumah(sp). Putting together some talent.
    Have you watched Green lately? He’s not the AJ Green you used to know. Tee Higgins will be the star of that group. Uzomah is out for the season...torn ACL. Going forward, they’ll need a couple more receivers but more importantly, some protection.

Have you watched Green lately? He’s not the AJ Green you used to know. Tee Higgins will be the star of that group. Uzomah is out for the season...torn ACL. Going forward, they’ll need a couple more receivers but more importantly, some protection.
    Green has a history of injuries I think too but when healthy he's tough to cover, kind of like Julio Jones in Atlanta. I think Higgins should be really good. I did not know about Uzomah's injury. But point is those are all talented players. IF they can stay healthy should be a formidable group. As you say, getting Burrow protection should be priority #1 from here.

I think green is healthy now and just isn’t getting it done at the moment. Unless there’s an injury I missed...with him it’s totally possible.

I think green is healthy now and just isn’t getting it done at the moment. Unless there’s an injury I missed...with him it’s totally possible.
    Green looks like he totally forgot to do any conditioning work while he was rehabbing. He looks heavy legged and gassed all the time now. He isn't that old...so maybe he plays himself into shape? I honestly thought with this track record that he would come back and have a big year...another thing I was wrong about!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Green looks like he totally forgot to do any conditioning work while he was rehabbing. He looks heavy legged and gassed all the time now. He isn't that old...so maybe he plays himself into shape? I honestly thought with this track record that he would come back and have a big year...another thing I was wrong about!
    Yeah...he definitely doesn’t look like AJ Green...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Very good start for him despite to be with a awful team

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

he definitely seems to be adjusting to the NFL game, cincy won't be an easy out anymore. I think they'll finish the season with 5 wins

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    he definitely seems to be adjusting to the NFL game, cincy won't be an easy out anymore. I think they'll finish the season with 5 wins
    If they can build a team around him they could be a problem but the Bungels haven't been able to build a team in over 30 years so there is always that.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Bengals could easily have 4 or 5 wins right now .... They are not bad and Burrow deserves the credit on that .... Only in the game against the Ravens that the Bengals haven't been competitive.