Thread: NFL Sunday Ticket PSA

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

NFL Sunday Ticket PSA

I'm sure there are many others out there who have DirecTV solely for the purpose of watching Steelers games when you live out of market (since 2007 for me). DirecTV's monopoly over NFL broadcasting rights expires after the 2022 season (I believe), and at this point it's looking like Roger Goodell is not interested in renewing the contract with them. Why? AT&T, which bought DirecTV for $50 billion in 2015 is now shopping their shiny new albatross out for $20 billion to the highest bidder. They're willing to eat $30 billion on a terrible business decision while DirecTV customers are leaving in droves. Subscriptions are down, costs are up, and they're getting more desperate to keep existing customers.

Every year, I break out the violins and the waterworks and negotiate down the cost of Sunday Ticket. In years past, I was lucky to get $150 the annual subscription, but things started to change last year. I still had to pay the $295 for Sunday Ticket, but they took off $60 per month for 12 month, so I ended up saving a net ~$400. This year, they started circulating emails to select customers who had the Choice (or above) package and just giving Sunday Ticket Max ($395) away for free.

So, I made my annual piss and moan phone call to see what I can finagle. It's important to note, that in order to score the primo deals, you have to get yourself to the 'loyalty' or the 'retention' departments. Those are the CSRs who have access to the best deals to offer. Those are the people you want to be talking to. They don't make it perfectly easy to find those guys, each year I have to troll discussion boards to find out what the phone number is: It changes every year. This year there are two numbers that seem to be getting the most success:

800-824-9077
    866-595-2871

Before the season begins, they often don't have much in the way of deals. I called the 800 number a week ago and got nothing. So, I told them to cancel Sunday Ticket (knowing that the first week is given for free, Pittsburgh had a Sunday night game, and Week 2 is Denver - my local market). That way, I can get it on my account, let it stew for a week or so, then call back with a firmer approach.

I just called the 866 number (now they can see I've removed Sunday Ticket), and said, politely, "I have friends who've gotten Sunday Ticket Max for free, and I'm thinking of getting rid of DirecTV altogether, since Sunday Ticket is about the only thing keeping me with you guys." CSR looks up my account, makes some friendly chatter, I'm friendly back, and voila: Free Sunday Ticket Max this year - no questions asked!

A few notes: You'll get further with these retention reps if you're polite with them. The yell, scream and swear tactic doesn't work. You'll also get farther if you wait until the regular season begins before playing hardball. That's when they seem to be the most inclined to give more away. Customer retention is becoming a big issue for DirecTV, so if you're willing to dig your heels in the sand a bit, they're giving a ton away these days. Good luck!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: NFL Sunday Ticket PSA

I might have to look into that now. Before I just went to a bar and made Sunday nachos and football day and it ended up being cheaper than a Sunday Ticket subscription. However, with covid that doesn't see to be an option anymore. My state closed down bars

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I might have to look into that now. Before I just went to a bar and made Sunday nachos and football day and it ended up being cheaper than a Sunday Ticket subscription. However, with covid that doesn't see to be an option anymore. My state closed down bars
    It does have its advantages. Back in the 'pre-kids' era, there was no way my Steelers bar tab would be less than the Sunday Ticket subscription. Once kids came along, going to a bar just wasn't an option any more, so I jumped on the DirecTV bandwagon. However, if you're a new customer, they'll throw in Sunday Ticket Max for free your first year. It's only the second year and forward where you have to enter into negotiations. I've bargained down my price for at least 10 years with varying degrees of success. Only these last two years has it shown that AT&T is getting more and more desperate to keep customers and are now giving away the farm.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Haha yeah me in my early 20's wouldn't have saved money. I'm now an over 40 who doesn't drink nearly as much as i used to. Typically an IPA and a plate of nachos. Over the years my body doesn't respond to drinking more than a few beers so usually I'm done after 1. Though honestly I don't think my hangovers got any worse than before, it's just after it happens enough times you start to get sick of feeling like shit the next day

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

I'm a share holder and they can still bite my ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Rock Groupie Array title="GutterflowerSteel is a glorious beacon of light"> GutterflowerSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    I'm sure there are many others out there who have DirecTV solely for the purpose of watching Steelers games when you live out of market (since 2007 for me). DirecTV's monopoly over NFL broadcasting rights expires after the 2022 season (I believe), and at this point it's looking like Roger Goodell is not interested in renewing the contract with them. Why? AT&T, which bought DirecTV for $50 billion in 2015 is now shopping their shiny new albatross out for $20 billion to the highest bidder. They're willing to eat $30 billion on a terrible business decision while DirecTV customers are leaving in droves. Subscriptions are down, costs are up, and they're getting more desperate to keep existing customers.

Every year, I break out the violins and the waterworks and negotiate down the cost of Sunday Ticket. In years past, I was lucky to get $150 the annual subscription, but things started to change last year. I still had to pay the $295 for Sunday Ticket, but they took off $60 per month for 12 month, so I ended up saving a net ~$400. This year, they started circulating emails to select customers who had the Choice (or above) package and just giving Sunday Ticket Max ($395) away for free.

So, I made my annual piss and moan phone call to see what I can finagle. It's important to note, that in order to score the primo deals, you have to get yourself to the 'loyalty' or the 'retention' departments. Those are the CSRs who have access to the best deals to offer. Those are the people you want to be talking to. They don't make it perfectly easy to find those guys, each year I have to troll discussion boards to find out what the phone number is: It changes every year. This year there are two numbers that seem to be getting the most success:

800-824-9077
    866-595-2871

Before the season begins, they often don't have much in the way of deals. I called the 800 number a week ago and got nothing. So, I told them to cancel Sunday Ticket (knowing that the first week is given for free, Pittsburgh had a Sunday night game, and Week 2 is Denver - my local market). That way, I can get it on my account, let it stew for a week or so, then call back with a firmer approach.

I just called the 866 number (now they can see I've removed Sunday Ticket), and said, politely, "I have friends who've gotten Sunday Ticket Max for free, and I'm thinking of getting rid of DirecTV altogether, since Sunday Ticket is about the only thing keeping me with you guys." CSR looks up my account, makes some friendly chatter, I'm friendly back, and voila: Free Sunday Ticket Max this year - no questions asked!

A few notes: You'll get further with these retention reps if you're polite with them. The yell, scream and swear tactic doesn't work. You'll also get farther if you wait until the regular season begins before playing hardball. That's when they seem to be the most inclined to give more away. Customer retention is becoming a big issue for DirecTV, so if you're willing to dig your heels in the sand a bit, they're giving a ton away these days. Good luck!
    THANKS for the info - I've been with Directv since 1999. I'm going to follow your game plan and see what they'll give me

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Just cut Direct TV completely about a month ago and surprisingly I do NOT miss TV at all. Direct TV costs way too much outside of sports as well and the content blows. I stream most of the TV I watch now anyhow via two smart TVs, tablets, computers and phones. It's funny to see my two kids (ages 13, 11) who grew up with devices not even miss having a TV provider. Boy how times have changed. The days of THIS show is on THIS night at THIS time are pretty much over.

I can watch the Steelers games on Yahoo via my phone/tablets since I'm a Yahoo premium mail customer but I don't want to give the NFL or those rich A holes another dime. I really would love to see all professional sports league receive a huge wake up call and drop in revenue. There is no reason people should be making $30 million/year to play a game. I feel the same about actors as well. The only reason they can do this is because of these monster TV contracts not the gate receipts.