Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Chase Claypool

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Chase Claypool

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    I think 98 with Hines. The Steelers panicked and drafted Edwards in 99 (although they had Hines on the roster already).
    Which in a way still worked out because Hines had a chip on his shoulder for the rest of his career afterward.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They did. But wasn’t CJ considered a let down? Maybe it was 1994 then? They’ve always had some good ones, but when did the factory aspect start? Louis Lipps? Or maybe 1993 with Andre Hastings?
    CJ wasn't flashy and was sometimes forgotten in that group. He was a first round draft pick though so yeah he was a let down but that was a solid group. Santonio was the last first round pick used on a WR so they have done pretty well.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

At what point did the WR factory start? Probably Plaxico in 2000? I think Troy Edwards was ‘99?
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...tm#draft::none -- PFR appears to have made their draft search tools $$$ now, so I couldn't limit it to just wideouts.

Burress doesn't count for me because everyone was "in" on him going into his draft year.Ward is one of their first "hits", but it took too long for them to realize it and commit to getting him on the field. Plus that was the same period of time that they were drafting Danny Farmer, Malcom Johnson, Chris Taylor, and Lee Mays. Clearly, whatever the formula is now, they hadn't figured it out yet! That takes us to 2004 and the drafting of a certain starting QB.

In 2006, they draft their new franchise QB a first round WR in Santonio Holmes. Again, I discount him from the "WR Assembly Line" because the entire NFL was pretty hyped on Holmes entering his draft year.

2008 - Limas Sweed. I am not trying to derail the thread with another re-litigation of the Sweed pick. But, for me, this is when the foundation for the "Colbert and Company WR Factory" was initiated. Looking at Sweed's measurables and college tape and you can see the "beta" version of the Steelers WR plan. Especially the idea that if you look for the right traits (size, speed, elusiveness (they tend to gravitate towards guys that returned kicks in college), and what Tomlin calls "natural catchers", etc...I'm sure others can refine this list); you can find WRs outside of the first

2009 - Mike Wallace
    2010 - Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown
    2012 - they whiff on Toney Clemons. Another in a line of attempts (stretching back to Farmer in 2000) to get a "big" WR.
    2013 - Wheaton and another whiff on the "big" WR (Justin Brown)
    2014 - they finally put together the pieces on a "big" WR and draft Martavis Bryant
    2015 - they try and go back to the Bryant well again and fish out Sammie Coates...so meh?
    2016 - Demarcus Ayers...so meh again?
    2017 - Juju Smith-Schuster gets the assembly line back on track
    2018 - James Washington fits the profile and lots on here like him...but meh?
    2019 - Diontae Johnson is Sanders and AB all over again.
    2020 - Claypool looks like an even bigger version of Martavis Bryant who importantly does not have mental health and sobriety challenges.

So by my accounting that is 13 WR's drafted since 2009. 8 have been high reward picks and 5 have been average (James Washington) to below average (Clemons, Brown, Coates, and Ayers). I think a trait list of what the team is looking for can be listed out...BUT...interesting correlation that COULD be causation that the Pittsburgh Steelers WR Factory only comes online when they fully shift the offensive philosophy over to a certain franchise QB.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...tm#draft::none -- PFR appears to have made their draft search tools $$$ now, so I couldn't limit it to just wideouts.

Burress doesn't count for me because everyone was "in" on him going into his draft year.Ward is one of their first "hits", but it took too long for them to realize it and commit to getting him on the field. Plus that was the same period of time that they were drafting Danny Farmer, Malcom Johnson, Chris Taylor, and Lee Mays. Clearly, whatever the formula is now, they hadn't figured it out yet! That takes us to 2004 and the drafting of a certain starting QB.

In 2006, they draft their new franchise QB a first round WR in Santonio Holmes. Again, I discount him from the "WR Assembly Line" because the entire NFL was pretty hyped on Holmes entering his draft year.

2008 - Limas Sweed. I am not trying to derail the thread with another re-litigation of the Sweed pick. But, for me, this is when the foundation for the "Colbert and Company WR Factory" was initiated. Looking at Sweed's measurables and college tape and you can see the "beta" version of the Steelers WR plan. Especially the idea that if you look for the right traits (size, speed, elusiveness (they tend to gravitate towards guys that returned kicks in college), and what Tomlin calls "natural catchers", etc...I'm sure others can refine this list); you can find WRs outside of the first

2009 - Mike Wallace
    2012 - they whiff on Toney Clemons. Another in a line of attempts (stretching back to Farmer in 2000) to get a "big" WR.
    2014 - they finally put together the pieces on a "big" WR and draft Martavis Bryant
    2015 - they try and go back to the Bryant well again and fish out Sammie Coates...so meh?
    2020 - Claypool looks like an even bigger version of Martavis Bryant who importantly does not have mental health and sobriety challenges.

So by my accounting that is 13 WR's drafted since 2009. 8 have been high reward picks and 5 have been average (James Washington) to below average (Clemons, Brown, Coates, and Ayers). I think a trait list of what the team is looking for can be listed out...BUT...interesting correlation that COULD be causation that the Pittsburgh Steelers WR Factory only comes online when they fully shift the offensive philosophy over to a certain franchise QB.
    Great breakdown!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

2009 - Mike Wallace

You completely skipped over Dallas "The Touchdown Maker" Baker

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    You completely skipped over Dallas "The Touchdown Maker" Baker
    I mean...how did I forget that legend?!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Next 3 games will tell us a ton about Claypool. 3 good teams that know he's coming.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Next 3 games will tell us a ton about Claypool. 3 good teams that know he's coming.
    The good news is that this year the steelers are not relying on just one or two weapons to be successful.

Maybe tomorrow,it will be JuJu or Elbron who will be the best weapon for Ben.It will depend on the matchup

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Yeah, he might not get the kind of exploitable matchups that he’s seen so far, like his 4th TD where Ben audibled to take advantage of it. But if we look at some of the catches Claypool has made, some have been uncoverable. His size, strength, concentration, and body control are just objectively there.

Plus he’s a beast on ST. That doesn’t necessarily count towards being a “hit” at WR but it tells me a lot about his physical and mental toughness.

I am totally willing to label Claypool a home run pick, barring injury.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I was hoping he’d be nicknamed Optimus Prime instead

Chase Claypool

Mapletron is kinda clunky...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Mapletron is kinda clunky...
    Yeah not a fan of that honestly lol. But whatever if the kid keeps dominating I could care less what they wanna call him

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Yeah not a fan of that honestly lol. But whatever if the kid keeps dominating I could care less what they wanna call him
    That’s a “clunky” I can get on board with......and he’s our “clunky”!

Chase Claypool is the offense's version of Stephon Tuitt.

Meaning, when we drafted him, he "fell" to us in the 2nd round.

Glad we got both of those guys because both are balling right now.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

The rise of Chase Claypool.

In just five games played ( 1 game started ), Claypool has been nothing short of impressive.

24 targets, 17 catches ( 70.8% catch percentage ). Impressive on the surface, but as we drill down, many of the passes his way were of the more difficult variety. He's not catching easy check-down passes. He's converting on deep balls and jump balls and thrown a short pass, he's making something happen with serious RAC.

Extrapolated over the season, he's on pace for the following:

54 catches
    19.7 yards per catch
    1,072 yards receiving
    19 touchdowns ( Receiving and Rushing )

In my opinion, he will have more catches and yards than what his current pace shows, as he should be getting more targets, but a pace of 19 touchdowns for a rookie is simply amazing. Can he do it?

How rare would this be? Better than TO's best year, Marvin Harrison's best year, or Calvin Johnson's best year. Better than Ward's, Fitzgerald, or Carter's too. Only Jerry Rice and Randy Moss had more touchdowns than this in just one season each of their historic career. This rookie is on pace to be in gold Jacket company in terms of touchdown scored.

Although he's only played 5 NFL games, it's clear that Claypool has Pro Bowl ability. Whether he advances beyond that depends on his health and QB PLAY, but he sure can become an All-Pro.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    The rise of Chase Claypool.

In just five games played ( 1 game started ), Claypool has been nothing short of impressive.

24 targets, 17 catches ( 70.8% catch percentage ). Impressive on the surface, but as we drill down, many of the passes his way were of the more difficult variety. He's not catching easy check-down passes. He's converting on deep balls and jump balls and thrown a short pass, he's making something happen with serious RAC.

Extrapolated over the season, he's on pace for the following:

54 catches
    19.7 yards per catch
    1,072 yards receiving
    19 touchdowns ( Receiving and Rushing )

In my opinion, he will have more catches and yards than what his current pace shows, as he should be getting more targets, but a pace of 19 touchdowns for a rookie is simply amazing. Can he do it?

How rare would this be? Better than TO's best year, Marvin Harrison's best year, or Calvin Johnson's best year. Better than Ward's, Fitzgerald, or Carter's too. Only Jerry Rice and Randy Moss had more touchdowns than this in just one season each of their historic career. This rookie is on pace to be in gold Jacket company in terms of touchdown scored.

Although he's only played 5 NFL games, it's clear that Claypool has Pro Bowl ability. Whether he advances beyond that depends on his health and QB PLAY, but he sure can become an All-Pro.

That's awesome.

It's why I was so high on him. He has elite skills, and is also an elite human and teammate.

I hope Claypool will never be once again in the special team on coverage...I don't want him to be hurt on the special team....

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

Was Claypool doubled up most of the day? Seemed Johnson and Shuster got most of the reps?

Claypool excels when Johnson is out of the lineup.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerCountry58 View Post
    Was Claypool doubled up most of the day? Seemed Johnson and Shuster got most of the reps?

For most of the game, the Titans had their best corner, Malcolm Butler, follow him all over the field. It's what created more opportunities for everyone else.

Steelers WR usage:

Diontae Johnson
    - 37 routes
    - 15 targets
    - 7.5 air yards/target

JuJu Smith-Schuster
    - 40 routes (75% slot)
    - 14 targets
    - 6.8 air yards/target

Chase Claypool
    - 30 routes
    - 1 target
    - -4.0 air yards/target

James Washington
    - 10 routes
    - 1 target

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

This is exactly why you don't want a prima Donna WR. What one does great one week makes opportunity for the others the next week. Chase will get his turn as teams focus on johnson in coming weeks. And juju is always there when we need it

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I have no problem with his work today. He sucked their coverage from DJ and Juju who had great games. And don't forget (unlike Juju) he was smart enough to stop and run back through Butler to draw that DPI call on an early drive. If Juju did that today that INT in the endzone doesn't happen and a DPI is called.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I have no problem with his work today. He sucked their coverage from DJ and Juju who had great games. And don't forget (unlike Juju) he was smart enough to stop and run back through Butler to draw that DPI call on an early drive. If Juju did that today that INT in the endzone doesn't happen and a DPI is called.
    Should have been DPI anyways since the LB never look back at the ball at all.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Should have been DPI anyways since the LB never look back at the ball at all.
    Oh I agree, but my point was Claypool made sure is was an obvious call. Juju needs to do that more often.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Oh I agree, but my point was Claypool made sure is was an obvious call. Juju needs to do that more often.
    I agree with your point as well.

Lol...Claypool first down chopping Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    This is exactly why you don't want a prima Donna WR. What one does great one week makes opportunity for the others the next week. Chase will get his turn as teams focus on johnson in coming weeks. And juju is always there when we need it

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    This._.Much different offense that the killer Bs era and i love that