Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Chase Claypool

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Chase Claypool

The biggest factor in the improvement is obviously Ben, but you can't say Chase hasn't played a role in the offensive improvements

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What about CeeDee Lamb?
    I like CeeDee Lamb. A case could be made for him, but if I could only vote for 2 it would be Jefferson and Claypool. Maybe there are 3 receiver spots open for first team. I can't remember if it is 2 or 3.

UPDATE: I checked last year's team and there are 3 WR spots........so Jefferson, Claypool, and Lamb would be my picks at this point.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It’s Herbert. Period.

But, Claypool should be in the discussion (for runner-up).

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It’s Herbert. Period.

How? His record is 2-7 with only wins vs the Jets and Jags? I thought winning football games is a QB statistic.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    How? His record is 2-7 with only wins vs the Jets and Jags? I thought winning football games is a QB statistic.
    I understand that argument, but Herbert has given that SD team chances to win almost every game they have played this year. The Chargers find ways to lose games consistently like no other team. The defense either folds late, there is a special teams miscue or missed FG, or something else happens.

I've seen most of the Charger games this year, and I think Herbert is likely going to be the best young QB in this league outside of Patrick Mahomes. He has a big arm and can make all the throws, and he is very accurate. He reminds me of Aaron Rodgers.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Most of the Chargers games they only lost by one score.

3, 5, 7, 3, 1, 5, 8.

So the games have been very close.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

It’s Herbert. Period.

Herbert is very impressive. I bet Cincy and Miami wish they had him instead.

On Claypool, he's great. A power house blocker, a solid possession receiver, and a deep threat. Also a decent threat to run the ball. He's got 10 TD's in 10 games Even when he not catching the ball, he's drawing lots of PI flags. Claypool probably has 6 PI Flags for 100+ yards.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don’t think Cinci or Miami are upset with the pick they’ve made. Burrow has looked very good actually.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I don’t think Cinci or Miami are upset with the pick they’ve made. Burrow has looked very good actually.
    As much as I don’t like the Bungles, I feel bad for Burrow. They damn well better get him some protection for next year. He’s getting killed. Been sacked 36 times 10 games. Only QB with more is is Wentz with 40. As compared to Ben with 10. Tied for least.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    As much as I don’t like the Bungles, I feel bad for Burrow. They damn well better get him some protection for next year. He’s getting killed. Been sacked 36 times 10 games. Only QB with more is is Wentz with 40. As compared to Ben with 10. Tied for least.
    and we have people complaining about our line play ............
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I agree with your assessment of the Bengals needing to protect Burrow. The Colts did not protect Andrew Luck for a few years and he was getting hammered behind that line. Once they got their line in good shape Luck retired from all the phsyical abuse he had previously taken.

Ben had that run for a few years where he was getting crushed behind a poor O-line in Pittsburgh. They eventually got it sorted out and got some good players and brought Munchak in to turn it around. Thank goodness. I'm still amazed the Steelers won the Super Bowl in that 2008 season with that O-Line.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I agree with your assessment of the Bengals needing to protect Burrow. The Colts did not protect Andrew Luck for a few years and he was getting hammered behind that line. Once they got their line in good shape Luck retired from all the phsyical abuse he had previously taken.

Ben had that run for a few years where he was getting crushed behind a poor O-line in Pittsburgh. They eventually got it sorted out and got some good players and brought Munchak in to turn it around. Thank goodness. I'm still amazed the Steelers won the Super Bowl in that 2008 season with that O-Line.
    Yeah...remember the beatings Ben would take...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

On Sunday, Herbert had two throws that Aaron Rodgers would have gawked at. Herbert is legit. Good thing his OC at Oregon was fascinated with the screen pass.

For those who like stats, Herbert is on pace for:
    -400 completions
    -5000 passing yards
    -37 TDs

(All of which would be rookie records.)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

and we have people complaining about our line play ............

The point is that the Bengals had no business having the #1 pick in the draft and the guy that is clearly their future leading the NFL in pass attempts while playing on a shitty team. They didn't protect the kid. They exposed him to maximum punishment. That's on them.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The point is that the Bengals had no business having the #1 pick in the draft and the guy that is clearly their future leading the NFL in pass attempts while playing on a shitty team. They didn't protect the kid. They exposed him to maximum punishment. That's on them.
    Ben has some experience in that area.

Someone explain to me how Jefferson is having a “better rookie season” than Claypool.

Really.

Jefferson has 200 more yards, but Claypool has 6 more TDs. I saw a stat that Claypool has 450 yards in DPI penalties; that should be considered...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Ben has some experience in that area.

He has taken more than a few beatings over the years.

I disagree. Burrow has looked good, but I did not see much in terms of raw QB tools to call him very good or great. I have see him play two full games, he doesn't have stand out ability. He looks like an above-average NFL QB you can win with, but not a top tier guy. Now he's hurt. Maybe I'm being too hard on him as the team he's on sucks. I think Cincy would gladly take Herbert and switch right now if they could. Herbert is very impressive.

I'm based in South Florida. Tua has been bailed out by a scoring defense and special teams. He can play with a lead, but when he has to pass it, the team falls flat. He was benched last week. I'm not saying he's a bust. It's way to early for that. I am saying he's way behind Burrow and Herbert. Here's the problem. In the 4 games he has played in, Tua averaging 123 yards as a passer which is awful. He isn't very ware and has been sacked 10 times. A fine young man, his ability to read defenses and caution because of it are issues. He needs a good bounce-back game as many young QB's are doing well and his new car smell is about to wear off.

teegre Someone explain to me how Jefferson is having a “better rookie season” than Claypool.

Really.

Jefferson has 200 more yards, but Claypool has 6 more TDs. I saw a stat that Claypool has 450 yards in DPI penalties; that should be considered...
    Great Stuff. I read, Steelers rookie wide receiver Chase Claypool has drawn six defensive pass interference penalties for 135 yards.. And he would have scored on some of the those plays.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ter-washington

Jefferson doesn't play like a rookie, he's very good, but it should be clear Claypool is the more impactful player. And let's not discount Claypool's blocking ability either.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Great Stuff. I read, Steelers rookie wide receiver Chase Claypool has drawn six defensive pass interference penalties for 135 yards.. And he would have scored on some of the those plays.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ter-washington
    Yea... 450 seems like a lot. 135 yards seems more realistic.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

On Sunday, Herbert had two throws that Aaron Rodgers would have gawked at. Herbert is legit. Good thing his OC at Oregon was fascinated with the screen pass.

For those who like stats, Herbert is on pace for:
    -400 completions
    -5000 passing yards
    -37 TDs

(All of which would be rookie records.)
    Yeah, but he will be 5-11 as a starter and wins mean something for a QB, dont they??

Yea... 450 seems like a lot. 135 yards seems more realistic.
    If the refs called what they should it would be 450!

Someone explain to me how Jefferson is having a “better rookie season” than Claypool.

Really.

I think I was the first one in this thread that mentioned Jefferson, but that was only in relation to who I thought should be on the all rookie team at WR. I indicated I would vote for Jefferson and Claypool as the top two receivers (..if I voted, which I obviously do not..). I don't think Jefferson is having the same impact that Claypool is having if I was to compare the two head to head. In addition to Claypool's stats and TDs, he is often drawing the other team's top CB it appears as Claypool is a significant matchup problem with his size and speed............similar to DK Metcalf on the Seahawks. This opens things up further for DJ, JuJu, and James Washington on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I think I was the first one in this thread that mentioned Jefferson, but that was only in relation to who I thought should be on the all rookie team at WR. I indicated I would vote for Jefferson and Claypool as the top two receivers (..if I voted, which I obviously do not..). I don't think Jefferson is having the same impact that Claypool is having if I was to compare the two head to head. In addition to Claypool's stats and TDs, he is often drawing the other team's top CB it appears as Claypool is a significant matchup problem with his size and speed............similar to DK Metcalf on the Seahawks. This opens things up further for DJ, JuJu, and James Washington on the field.
    Sorry, brother... it’s not necessarily your post hat sparked my question. It’s sort of a combination of ESPN, PFF, and numerous other talking heads whose “Top Ten” rookies all have Jefferson as a LOCK (yet don’t even include Claypool).

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

10 TDs in 10 games, I give the nod to Claypool.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This site's ROY candidates are fluid and will change week to week-ish.

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-rookie-of-the-year-2020/

Some of the other top sites ROY articles were written as far back as July.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This site's ROY candidates are fluid and will change week to week-ish.

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-rookie-of-the-year-2020/

Some of the other top sites ROY articles were written as far back as July.
    At least Claypool is in the Top Ten.

But, once again, how is Jefferson rated so high? There is zero chance I take ANY receiver over Herbert. (Yes, Herbert is finally ranked #1... but, it’s taken a while.) The game starts & stops at the QB position. Plus, Herbert isn’t just having a “good” rookie season, he’s having a RECORD-BREAKING rookie season.

I just don’t get it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

At least Claypool is in the Top Ten.

But, once again, how is Jefferson rated so high? There is zero chance I take ANY receiver over Herbert. (Yes, Herbert is finally ranked #1... but, it’s taken a while.) The game starts & stops at the QB position. Plus, Herbert isn’t just having a “good” rookie season, he’s having a RECORD-BREAKING rookie season.

I just don’t get it.
    I can't answer that completely. From just reading the rankings articles it seems to be based a lot on yardage and eye test "WOW" moments. Jefferson is right at 300 more receiving yards currently but I don't get enough Vikings games to fill in the rest. It could come down to 3 WRs for the Steelers are over 500 yards receiving, whereas Jefferson is 200 yards beyond any other Vikings WR?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/min

I think it is Herbert's to lose right now anyway. But so long as Claypool stays in the conversation I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I can't answer that completely. From just reading the rankings articles it seems to be based a lot on yardage and eye test "WOW" moments. Jefferson is right at 300 more receiving yards currently but I don't get enough Vikings games to fill in the rest. It could come down to 3 WRs for the Steelers are over 500 yards receiving, whereas Jefferson is 200 yards beyond any other Vikings WR?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/min

I think it is Herbert's to lose right now anyway. But so long as Claypool stays in the conversation I'm happy.
    The Steelers having so many receivers (Ben spreads it around) is probably why.

As in...

Let’s assume there are 3000 yards from the QB. Jefferson only has to split with Theilen (who keeps Jefferson from being double-teamed all game); that is nearly 1500 yards apiece. Whereas, the Steelers split that 3,000 yards between JuJu, DJ, & Claypool; that’s only 1,000 yards for each.

That said, Randy Moss only had 69 receptions as a rookie (because Jake Reed and Chris Carter got their fair share of targets). The difference was gaudy TD numbers (17 total)... which reminds me of Claypool.

But, Yes, it’s Herbert... and then, everyone else.