Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Chase Claypool

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Chase Claypool

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Lol...Claypool first down chopping Butler.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Labriola on if Claypool wasn't Steelers' pick

https://www.steelers.com/news/labrio...-steelers-pick

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The most important ability is availability.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The most important ability is availability.
    Martavis never understood that in his life!

It cost him so many million dollars for him because he is so stupid!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He’s probably right...he was pretty fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’m getting an Uncle Rico vibe from that tweet...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Martavis......he's going to be a much better football player than you ever were.....and it's not going to be close.

You do have that speed thing going for you and your weed addiction though.

He's also going to accomplish things that the team expected you to do when they drafted you but you never got it done.

"big facts"

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I’m getting an Uncle Rico vibe from that tweet...

No doubt.

“Who cares about TDs!?! It’s all about speed... and throwing footballs over them mountains!!!”

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Okay let's play the next game. As is, ask any NFL GM which guy they would want on their team. Sorry Martavis but we already know the 32 answers. Who cares how fast you can run if you aren't allowed on the field because you would rather smoke the field.

The first in 60 years.....

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Beast!!!

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

As the games go by, and his production grows, I say to myself how the hell did this kid stay on the board into the second round.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

10 TDs and a part of 10 wins in his first 10 games, nice start

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    10 TDs and a part of 10 wins in his first 10 games, nice start
    I'll be cool with 19 TDs in 19 games

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I'll be cool with 19 TDs in 19 games
    YES!!!

Randy Moss had 17 TDs as a rookie (which is the record). Does anyone know if that includes the playoffs?

Regardless, I’d be fine with Claypool “only” having 16 in the regular season (second place)... and then getting one per game in the playoffs.

YES!!!

Randy Moss had 17 TDs as a rookie (which is the record). Does anyone know if that includes the playoffs?

Regardless, I’d be fine with Claypool “only” having 16 in the regular season (second place)... and then getting one per game in the playoffs.

I've never seen a guy this young that draws so many PI penalties. Defenders, and really good defenders, cannot deal with him. They are constantly grabbing him.

Once he learns to play better through all of this contact, he will dominate.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Do we have to wait until the first game to start booing Claypool? May we start now? What’s the timeframe for this???

Asking for a fellow poster.

Oh wait... I already see him booing. Never mind.
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post731796

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I've never seen a guy this young that draws so many PI penalties. Defenders, and really good defenders, cannot deal with him. They are constantly grabbing him.

Tangent:
    I read an article in SI, where Quentin Jammer talked about Randy Moss. He said the most difficult thing about Randy was that Randy was so nonchalant about catching the ball. Most receivers would give you a “key” to go on: their eyes would get big, their arms would flex, they’d open their fingers... something to let the cornerback know to turn around. Randy would just suddenly snatch a ball out of thin air.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That was all I could think of yesterday. Like not trying to be negative at all. But if Claypool starts muscling through contact and catching the ball - it will be flag AND a TD. Guy is only a rookie a few months removed from the NCAA where they don't mug you like that.

But if he can keep his feet against NFL DPI...look out.

Tangent:
    I read an article in SI, where Quentin Jammer talked about Randy Moss. He said the most difficult thing about Randy was that Randy was so nonchalant about catching the ball. Most receivers would give you a “key” to go on: their eyes would get big, their arms would flex, they’d open their fingers... something to let the cornerback know to turn around. Randy would just suddenly snatch a ball out of thin air.

I don't know if Chase Claypool has a key that gives defenders an idea of when the ball is coming or not. All I know is, every time this dude starts shredding through these defenders with another powerful move or blazing acceleration....they have no choice but to grab him. That happens on a field when the guy you are up against is simply physically dominant. They scare that crap out of you, because you know you can't stay with that dude if you play him straight up.

Watching that play out nearly every week tells you what kind of a physical talent this kid is. Maybe they can't read him as well, I don't know. All I know is, the panic starts when they "feel" the power and speed of this kid on the field.

I'm just happy he plays for us!

So at what point does he enter the rookie of the year conversation? I mean I think it’s pretty much Herberts to lose at this point but does Claypool enter the conversation at all with 10 TDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That was all I could think of yesterday. Like not trying to be negative at all. But if Claypool starts muscling through contact and catching the ball - it will be flag AND a TD. Guy is only a rookie a few months removed from the NCAA where they don't mug you like that.

But if he can keep his feet against NFL DPI...look out.

He is literally getting mauled out there. He needs to make that adjustment and get more acclimated to that contact to finish plays....and I think he will.

Now that we've seen him play, it's easy to forget that he didn't get a full camp and preseason to acclimate to the contact. He's maturing and learning right in front of our eyes. The fact that he's doing this well already is illustrative of how beastly he is out there. To do what he's done in 10 games is flat out amazing. The fact that he stands out on a team with some other studs speaks to this.

I can't wait to see how much better he can get.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

He is literally getting mauled out there. He needs to make that adjustment and get more acclimated to that contact to finish plays....and I think he will.

Now that we've seen him play, it's easy to forget that he didn't get a full camp and preseason to acclimate to the contact. He's maturing and learning right in front of our eyes. The fact that he's doing this well already is illustrative of how beastly he is out there. To do what he's done in 10 games is flat out amazing. The fact that he stands out on a team with some other studs speaks to this.

I can't wait to see how much better he can get.
    I don't know how to describe the other thing I would love to see him get better/more proficient at. He kinda twists around like a pretzel tracking the ball over his shoulder sometimes. Then he kinda runs left, drifts back right, then back left, etc. Whatever that is called, he needs to get better at it.

And, again, this isn't to knock him at all. He looks like a WR who had almost no offseason program. He also looks like a WR who has never had a QB be able to overthrow him. Like is used to stopping and waiting for the ball, not running underneath it.

- - - Updated - - -

So at what point does he enter the rookie of the year conversation? I mean I think it’s pretty much Herberts to lose at this point but does Claypool enter the conversation at all with 10 TDs?
    He doesn't even get close. It was Burrow's to lose. Now it is Herbert's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't know how to describe the other thing I would love to see him get better/more proficient at. He kinda twists around like a pretzel tracking the ball over his shoulder sometimes. Then he kinda runs left, drifts back right, then back left, etc. Whatever that is called, he needs to get better at it.

And, again, this isn't to knock him at all. He looks like a WR who had almost no offseason program. He also looks like a WR who has never had a QB be able to overthrow him. Like is used to stopping and waiting for the ball, not running underneath it.

- - - Updated - - -

He doesn't even get close. It was Burrow's to lose. Now it is Herbert's.

What you're describing is tracking the ball in the air. I think he's actually pretty good in that regard. Some of what you're seeing is on Ben. There was a play in this game where Claypool was streaking at an angle toward the left end zone, and he turned to try to track the ball. That was a bad throw by Ben. That ball needs to be thrown outside so the receiver can easily track it and run under it. Ben threw it inside to the middle of the field.

I think Claypool is doing very well. Sure, he still has things to work on and improve, but he is doing things that we normally don't see in WR's until their third year. Antonio Brown wasn't AB until he was in his fourth or fifth season. Claypool still has a few years before he reaches his potential, and his ceiling may be longer than that.

What you're describing is tracking the ball in the air. I think he's actually pretty good in that regard. Some of what you're seeing is on Ben. There was a play in this game where Claypool was streaking at an angle toward the left end zone, and he turned to try to track the ball. That was a bad throw by Ben. That ball needs to be thrown outside so the receiver can easily track it and run under it. Ben threw it inside to the middle of the field.

I think Claypool is doing very well. Sure, he still has things to work on and improve, but he is doing things that we normally don't see in WR's until their third year. Antonio Brown wasn't AB until he was in his fourth or fifth season. Claypool still has a few years before he reaches his potential, and his ceiling may be longer than that.
    I bolded all the bits I couldn't agree with more. Claypool is a monster. Ben is far far better than Rudolph but isn't MVP caliber at this point.

Claypool in year 3 or 4 (assuming someone competent is throwing to him) is going to be a lot to handle.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I think Herbert is the clear rookie of the year at this point. I thought that even before Burrow got hurt yesterday.

I do think Claypool has to be on the all-rookie team as a first-team WR though, probably along with Justin Jefferson of Minnesota. That would be quite an accomlisment considering all the receivers drafted before him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I think Herbert is the clear rookie of the year at this point. I thought that even before Burrow got hurt yesterday.

I do think Claypool has to be on the all-rookie team as a first-team WR though, probably along with Justin Jefferson of Minnesota. That would be quite an accomlisment considering all the receivers drafted before him this year.
    What about CeeDee Lamb?