Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chase Claypool

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Chase Claypool

Kid is going to be a monster. He's doing this in his first season with NO preseason!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Only one catch today. But I’m not gonna complain as long as we win.

I just think he’ll be used more as the season goes on. But there are too many mouths to feed I guess. Ebron is turning into Ben’s favorite target.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He got fortunate today. If his fumble didn't go out of bounds and went into the endzone, it would have been Houston ball with a chance to tie or win the game.

The catch and powerful run after catch was impressive, but he got a little lesson today. I hope next time he is in that same situation he wraps both arms around the ball to make sure he doesn't fumble.

He did draw an important pass interference penalty on third down that led to points, and made a few good blocks while on the field.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

That fumble was the first big mistake of his career thus far. He near single handedly gave the texans a 2nd chance. Very very stupid.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    That fumble was the first big mistake of his career thus far. He near single handedly gave the texans a 2nd chance. Very very stupid.
    They say he never makes the same mistake twice, so that’s good. Diontae Johnson has a concussion so we might see more Claypool next week. I think he’s up for the greater work load.

I don’t really mind the idea of him and Washington on the outside with Juju in the slot. I mean, I still think Diontae Johnson is a special WR (even if he makes some boneheaded decisions at times) but the game isn’t too big for Claypool

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He got fortunate today. If his fumble didn't go out of bounds and went into the endzone, it would have been Houston ball with a chance to tie or win the game.

The catch and powerful run after catch was impressive, but he got a little lesson today. I hope next time he is in that same situation he wraps both arms around the ball to make sure he doesn't fumble.

He did draw an important pass interference penalty on third down that led to points, and made a few good blocks while on the field.
    The thing about this kid is he will. He's smart and learns from his plays.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Since DJ went out w/concussion, Chase picked up the slack and had more offensive snaps than Juju or Washington

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/09/st...alysis-week-3/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    They say he never makes the same mistake twice, so that’s good. Diontae Johnson has a concussion so we might see more Claypool next week. I think he’s up for the greater work load.

I don’t really mind the idea of him and Washington on the outside with Juju in the slot. I mean, I still think Diontae Johnson is a special WR (even if he makes some boneheaded decisions at times) but the game isn’t too big for Claypool
    At least he’s not making DK Metcalf type mistakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    At least he’s not making DK Metcalf type mistakes...
    Leon Lett says he did it first lol. Boneheads.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    He's a rookie and WILL make mistakes. It was fortunate it didn't go through the end zone

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I am highly excited about Claypool's potential. But I do think we might need to pump the brakes a little bit. All we have to go on is 3 NFL plays and puff piece statements by coaches. We have no idea if he does or does not make the same mistakes twice - we just have some biased coach's word not game tape evidence.

Remember, this is a prospect that at ND was not consistently very impressive and many pre-draft pundits (whatever that is worth) stated that he played soft. He shined at the Senior Bowl and the time Combine stuff.

Like I said, I am really excited about Claypool's short and long term prospects but am not ready to assume he is ready to be a dominant player.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

People act like Claypool was careless with the football on that last reception. Its a laughable assumption, most likely made by people that have never run with a football in their hands, while trying to avoid being tackled.

He has it in the outside arm, away from the defender and its tucked in armpit, not holding it loosely by the hand. The DB made a good play to swat it and it went OB. People act like when the Steelers make a good play to cause a fumble its all due to the Steelers player making a play, while when its on the Steelers fumble, that the player is terrible and careless. Just not the case.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    People act like Claypool was careless with the football on that last reception. Its a laughable assumption, most likely made by people that have never run with a football in their hands, while trying to avoid being tackled.

He has it in the outside arm, away from the defender and its tucked in armpit, not holding it loosely by the hand. The DB made a good play to swat it and it went OB. People act like when the Steelers make a good play to cause a fumble its all due to the Steelers player making a play, while when its on the Steelers fumble, that the player is terrible and careless. Just not the case.
    I've always heard that if a defender times up that punch right, it is really darn hard to hold on to the football.

But you have nailed it.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I am highly excited about Claypool's potential. But I do think we might need to pump the brakes a little bit. All we have to go on is 3 NFL plays and puff piece statements by coaches. We have no idea if he does or does not make the same mistakes twice - we just have some biased coach's word not game tape evidence.

Remember, this is a prospect that at ND was not consistently very impressive and many pre-draft pundits (whatever that is worth) stated that he played soft. He shined at the Senior Bowl and the time Combine stuff.

Like I said, I am really excited about Claypool's short and long term prospects but am not ready to assume he is ready to be a dominant player.
    1. I agree that Claypool isnt some instant dominant player. I think upside is a big target with ability to make contested catches and get deep. Herman Moore and Vincent Jackson are some comps.

2. The notion by keyboard warriors that he played "soft" is funny. Watch any of the clips of him at Notre Dame in WR blocking situations, or special teams. That isnt what soft players are like.

3. Its not all puff pieces and just coaches statements. Joe Haden, Eric Ebron, Ike Taylor, Chris Simms all have talked about his size and catch radius being a problem for opposition. Sure Ike Hilliard thinks he can have an impact like Terry McLaurin did last year as a rookie and it could happen as the season progresses. He is going to be a solid part of the Steelers offense for some time.

1. I agree that Claypool isnt some instant dominant player. I think upside is a big target with ability to make contested catches and get deep. Herman Moore and Vincent Jackson are some comps.

2. The notion by keyboard warriors that he played "soft" is funny. Watch any of the clips of him at Notre Dame in WR blocking situations, or special teams. That isnt what soft players are like.

3. Its not all puff pieces and just coaches statements. Joe Haden, Eric Ebron, Ike Taylor, Chris Simms all have talked about his size and catch radius being a problem for opposition. Sure Ike Hilliard thinks he can have an impact like Terry McLaurin did last year as a rookie and it could happen as the season progresses. He is going to be a solid part of the Steelers offense for some time.
    I think I can agree with all of that. I just tend to take positive comments from teammates and coaches with a grain of salt until it consistently aligns with what is being shown on the field. We had players and coaches lauding Ebron's blocking all summer and fall. I have no doubt Ebron worked diligently and frequently on his blocking. But it still stinks. Limas Sweed was consistently talked up by players and coaches and then the games would start and Limas Sweed stuff would happen.

Overall, I think that by the end of this season Claypool will be well on his way to establishing himself as an incredibly impactful NFL player. But I feel like the old hype train is coming on a bit strong for him and just wait until he drops one and 8 out of 10 internet fans turn on him...

I've always heard that if a defender times up that punch right, it is really darn hard to hold on to the football.

But you have nailed it.
    We can watch any receiver or RB running with a football and trying to run away from a defender, where their arm motion is equally swinging both arms. That ball is firmly held, but not something that a well timed punch will not dislodge. Only a Tiki Barber type high and tight arm grip will be more secure, but its going to slow a runner down.

The tradeoff is ...do we want to see a guy with 4.42 speed run away from defenders and make big plays, or do we want a guy to run 4.50 and get caught from behind because he holds the football high and tight and runs with 1 arm, or with 2 hands while running?

- - - Updated - - -

I think I can agree with all of that. I just tend to take positive comments from teammates and coaches with a grain of salt until it consistently aligns with what is being shown on the field. We had players and coaches lauding Ebron's blocking all summer and fall. I have no doubt Ebron worked diligently and frequently on his blocking. But it still stinks. Limas Sweed was consistently talked up by players and coaches and then the games would start and Limas Sweed stuff would happen.

Overall, I think that by the end of this season Claypool will be well on his way to establishing himself as an incredibly impactful NFL player. But I feel like the old hype train is coming on a bit strong for him and just wait until he drops one and 8 out of 10 internet fans turn on him...
    With Ebron the thing that I notice is he catches most of his footballs with his body, not his hands. He isnt a natural hands catcher and is going to drop some important passes. Bank on it.

They lauded Ebron's effort blocking, because he got called out on it. Now that its in game situation, he defaults back to being a pylon in the run game. Happy he caught some footballs and moved the chains yesterday. Just wait for the dropped passes though, its a long season.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers fans are funny like that...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I'm not trying to beat the kid up. I'm a big believer in him.

The point I was trying to make was that getting the first down and possessing the ball was the most important thing in that situation. He wasn't careless. It's just that possessing the ball was ballgame in that situation. If he had to do it again, I'm sure he'd be the first one to say he should have put both arms around the ball and still fought for the end zone. That's all. It's a situational thing for me. He'll be just fine, and I think just as highly of him today as I did before the fumble. As I said....I loved the effort.

As a former player, I know how easy it is to have the ball knocked out of your hand when playing the game. I have smaller hands, so it was always something I was worried about when absorbing contact. No smart ass comments please!

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    He's a rookie and WILL make mistakes. It was fortunate it didn't go through the end zone
    I don't think I would even call the fumble a mistake by Claypool. I'd have to see the play again from one of the replay angles that was shown during the broadcast yesterday, but from what I remember seeing the Texans player made a perfectly timed punch/hit at the ball, which was in Claypool's outside arm towards the sideline. I mean, I suppose he could have had it tucked tighter in that arm, but it looked more like a great play by the defender vs sloppy ball handling by Chase.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I should read the whole thread before responding to a post. I now see that El-Gonzo and others pointed out this same thing already....that the defender made a great play to knock the ball out. I'm glad others confirmed what I remember seeing on the replay of that during yesterday's broadcast.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I don't think I would even call the fumble a mistake by Claypool. I'd have to see the play again from one of the replay angles that was shown during the broadcast yesterday, but from what I remember seeing the Texans player made a perfectly timed punch/hit at the ball, which was in Claypool's outside arm towards the sideline. I mean, I suppose he could have had it tucked tighter in that arm, but it looked more like a great play by the defender vs sloppy ball handling by Chase.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I should read the whole thread before responding to a post. I now see that El-Gonzo and others pointed out this same thing already....that the defender made a great play to knock the ball out. I'm glad others confirmed what I remember seeing on the replay of that during yesterday's broadcast.
    in a perfect world he gets first down and slides staying in bounds. These guys are competitors, you cAnt blame him For wanting a TD. Its like a RB fighting for extra yardage. Its ingrained to score. It wasnt quite as bad as the Chargers DB in the playoffs Years ago. Shit happens, guys on D are studs as well.

I'm not trying to beat the kid up. I'm a big believer in him.

The point I was trying to make was that getting the first down and possessing the ball was the most important thing in that situation. He wasn't careless. It's just that possessing the ball was ballgame in that situation. If he had to do it again, I'm sure he'd be the first one to say he should have put both arms around the ball and still fought for the end zone. That's all. It's a situational thing for me. He'll be just fine, and I think just as highly of him today as I did before the fumble. As I said....I loved the effort.

As a former player, I know how easy it is to have the ball knocked out of your hand when playing the game. I have smaller hands, so it was always something I was worried about when absorbing contact. No smart ass comments please!
    I know you pumped his tires and believe in him. My thing is that a lot of armchair football players like to use hindsight to hack on a player and say very similar things to what you said..."if he just puts 2 arms on the ball and slides its the ball game".

Then we bitch about QB being a game manager and not a winner. If he scores the TD, its game over. If he does what he did and hold the ball on the outside arm like it happened, its game over. The guy made a football play and so did the DB. I want players on the team that have the instant reaction to make a play, not turtle. I dont fault the kid for making a football play and having the presence of mind to tuck the ball in the outside arm.

So you must have small gloves huh?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

This rookie is very impressive, and I think he can transform our offense in three key areas. A clear upgrade and better than anyone we had in 2018 and 2019 in the following areas.

1 ) He's the big deep receiver the team has lacked since M. Bryant could pass a drug test. We saw this in his second pro game, where he just blew by the cornerback and took a deep pass the distance for 84 yards, which was the key play in the game. Claypool really makes the Steelers dangerous on the 7, 8 and 9 routes. A.K.A. The Deep Corner, Deep Post, and Go routes. For some reason the Steelers throw it to Johnson deep vs the Texans often.

2 ) Sideline and jump balls. These are not easy plays to covert, but they are also hard plays to stop. Claypool's height 6'4" 1/2, combined with long arms, and leaping ability of 40 1/2" allows him to dominate these type of plays. We saw this in game 1 vs. the Giants, with a leaping sideline catch. IMO Claypool is the only player the Steelers, have that would have converted that play.

3 ) As an Edge or Screen Blocker, Claypool is a beast of a blocker, perhaps not quite the collision blocker as Hines Ward was, but he clearly uses his size and weight advantage and does it with technique. In my opinion, Claypool can be one of the best 10 wide receiver blockers in football. We can see this on-screen passes. If we ever get a faster back, this type of blocking will pay dividends on off-tackle runs, pitch plays, or sweeps. Claypool has 30-35 pound on most DB's.

With a little practice, at his size he's going to be a threat on hitch and comeback routes too. I also think Claypool with his size and speed would be a killer on play action, that is if the Steelers actually call it.

I know you pumped his tires and believe in him. My thing is that a lot of armchair football players like to use hindsight to hack on a player and say very similar things to what you said..."if he just puts 2 arms on the ball and slides its the ball game".

Then we bitch about QB being a game manager and not a winner. If he scores the TD, its game over. If he does what he did and hold the ball on the outside arm like it happened, its game over. The guy made a football play and so did the DB. I want players on the team that have the instant reaction to make a play, not turtle. I dont fault the kid for making a football play and having the presence of mind to tuck the ball in the outside arm.

So you must have small gloves huh?

Up yours!!

Up yours!!

Need a refreshing beverage?

Need a refreshing beverage?

I need something a little stronger than that!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Well if this kid hasn't already earned a spot at the table, make room. Especially after today he should START.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Claypool=Franco Harris

Sick performance!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Claypool=Franco Harris

Good company.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Good company.
    I except the immaculate reception by him in the playoffs!