Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benny Snell

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Benny Snell

Benny Snell had himself a Benny Snell type of football game running the ball the Benny Snell type of way. Imo, he's earned top dog at the RB spot. I don't know if he can be a bell cow type, but he's made some nice plays tonight. I would love for McFarland to be the change of pace guy and Conner be the spell back. Jaylen Samuels is still Jaylen Samuels.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Benny Snell

Yep agree. Snell looked better than Conner for sure. He looks like he's got a quicker burst than last season too

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Benny Snell should be the regular starter

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

He provided a spark that Conner didn't tonight, that's for sure.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Benny looked like he picked up some speed vs last year. Let's hope he gets the 2nd year bounce to a great year.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

He did look quicker and faster, I think they used him improperly last year , he’s not a short yardage back. Unfortunately the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, Conner will be day to day all year long.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

6,8 ypc and a 100 yard game!

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    He did look quicker and faster, I think they used him improperly last year , he’s not a short yardage back. Unfortunately the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, Conner will be day to day all year long.
    He was built more for short yardage last year because of his extra weight. But, it seems he lost a bit of it and picked up some pop. He's still not fast, but he is quick when he needs to be and made a couple guys miss with speed. I'm happy as happy can be with that.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah, but if you take out his long run of 30 yards, it wasnt much. (for all those FWP haters and their logic).

Snell is a good change of pace back, but needs decent blocking. He is a 1 cut runner and doesnt have the acceleration of a feature back. Steelers still need a guy like Conner in the backfield that can jump cut to a seam and hit it.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, but if you take out his long run of 30 yards, it wasnt much. (for all those FWP haters and their logic).

Snell is a good change of pace back, but needs decent blocking. He is a 1 cut runner and doesnt have the acceleration of a feature back. Steelers still need a guy like Conner in the backfield that can jump cut to a seam and hit it.
    I can't agree with that and Snell is a chain mover.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Conner isn't any more explosive than Snell, so I gotta disagree there. Best case scenario is McFarland improving in the next few weeks enough to get a roster spot and be the change of pace back, or "homerun hitter."

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I can't agree with that and Snell is a chain mover.
    Watch their running styles. Conner makes a Safety miss in the open field on a swing pass in the very first play of this video. Benny Snell isnt making any Safety miss in the open field. Strictly a downhill runner. I'm happy he put up some numbers and has leaned down since last season, but he still doesnt have the change of direction and pace that a feature RB needs.

Watch their running styles. Conner makes a Safety miss in the open field on a swing pass in the very first play of this video. Benny Snell isnt making any Safety miss in the open field. Strictly a downhill runner. I'm happy he put up some numbers and has leaned down since last season, but he still doesnt have the change of direction and pace that a feature RB needs.

Doesn't matter and again Snell get yards and moves the chains. Nothing against Fragile Conner an like him too. Ps. that was last year and Snell also got more speed this year.

Snell can handle the load and did it at Kentucky.

- - - Updated - - -

That said would have like to see some MCfarland last night too.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

McFarland I think put the nail in the coffin of Conner's career. There's nothing not to love about Conner the person: high-character guy, overcame enormous odds, works his ass off, and gives everything he has on every down. There's a lot to not love about Conner the player: Takes tremendous punishment with his running style, can't seem to stay out of street clothes on Sundays.

I'm of the opinion that leukemia has just left his body more brittle and prone-to-injury than it had been before. I have no expertise to back up that assertion, but it's just a gut instinct. He's blown out his ACL, MCL, wrecked his AC joint last year, and now has a ankle sprain. If it's of the dreaded "high ankle sprain" variety, it'll plague him and his production all year and surely cost him in the free agency market.

I'd love to keep him around at a reasonable price for C2 with the expectation that he's not a 300-touch per year guy. He just isn't. But as a #2RB getting fewer touches, he could be part of a really dynamic 1-2 RB combo with McFarland being your speed burner. But he's not gonna be Tomlin's "Bell Cow", then I don't see the Steelers bringing him back next year.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

We might want to see more than one game before we all draw such definitive conclusions.

At first glance, and I don't have access to a recording of the game and not sure I would be able to really break it down, Conner had far worse blocking than what Snell saw as the game wore on and the offense started coming together.

Conner is no more or less injury "prone" than Bell was during his tenure here. Both missed multiple games per season BUT were Pro Bowl level talents when on the field.

Snell is not and will not be a Pro Bowl level talent. He simply does not have the acceleration or "wiggle" that is needed to achieve that level of play consistently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Snell can handle the load and did it at Kentucky.

- - - Updated - - -

That said would have like to see some MCfarland last night too.
    McFarland was not in uniform.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    We might want to see more than one game before we all draw such definitive conclusions.

At first glance, and I don't have access to a recording of the game and not sure I would be able to really break it down, Conner had far worse blocking than what Snell saw as the game wore on and the offense started coming together.
    Tomlin said similar in the press conference when the question was asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Snell on one of his big gainers beat the safety to the edge, so I think he's capable. Honestly he looked more explosive than Conner did

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Ya don't say. Might be a good idea.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Okay after that fumble the slate is clean now and he's back to the starting gate.

They need to give him a few series next week.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Snell will not be the starter- too many fumbles. #1 way for a RB to get on Tomlin's bad side the second being failure to block in pass pro.

Was really pulling for Snell to take a step forward, but he may have taken 2 steps back. Imo, I still believe he could potentially take Conner's spot if he fixes a few things.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Snell will not be the starter- too many fumbles. #1 way for a RB to get on Tomlin's bad side the second being failure to block in pass pro.
    Tiki Barber had the same fumbling issue in the beginning of his career and fixed it. He then went on to be a very good back. That said Snell needs to fix this or he will not be in the NFL long.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Snell had 1 fumble all last season. 2 this season still doesn't make a trend to me. Yes, he should be in the doghouse but I would say he has a fumble problem yet.

3 carries for 5 yards vs Broncos.

7 carries for 11 yards vs Texans.

I think the Steelers might stick with the current starter at RB for another week until they hand the load over to Snell.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

1.6 YPC.

Conner has 6.1 YPC. 109 and a TD. I’ll stick with the better back...lol.

McFarland, by the way, 6 for 42. 7 YPC.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Benny is the new Gary Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Benny is the new Gary Russell.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

He looked a bit tentative to me. Probably worried he'd be suffering from "bench ass" splinters for the rest of the year if he fumbles again. Good news is he didn't fumble. Hopefully he gets his confidence back.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

That fumble against Denver is clearly affecting his confidence. Now he's focused on just not fumbling.

Snell will have his day again, or until Conner gets nicked up again.