Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Players to watch this college season.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

2020 Players to watch this college season.

Starting a watch-list thread.

This is the 2nd week of watching Arkansas State Red Wolves play and 2 players have stood out both weeks and are worth keeping an eye on this season.

1. Jr WR Jonathan Adams, 6’3”-220
    2. Sr DL Forrest Merrill, 6’1”-338

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: 2020 Players to watch this college season.

Jonathan Adams: High School footage but look at the catch radius and foot speed. Again, 6'3" and 220lbs.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4739816...d8b70828e8501d

AND he returns punts.

Asante Samuels Jr with 2 INTs in the first half vs GaTech.

Sean Dykes, TE University of Memphis vs Ark State: 10 rec, 137yards, 2TDs. 6'2"-224lbs.

Sean Dykes highlights vs A-State: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy0KsYyTdLA

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Asante Samuels Jr with 2 INTs in the first half vs GaTech.
    With Haden aging and Hilton and Sutton being free agents, cornerback could be an option early.

Samuels Jr is someone to watch. If he declares he checks all the boxes of a Steeler. Underclassman, NFL bloodline.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Zach Wilson, QB from BYU.

Fast rising prospect. He could be in the conversation behind Lawrence as the draft top QB's.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    With Haden aging and Hilton and Sutton being free agents, cornerback could be an option early.

Samuels Jr is someone to watch. If he declares he checks all the boxes of a Steeler. Underclassman, NFL bloodline.
    Add Jaycee Horn to this list. He checks the same boxes. Underclassman, NFL bloodlines(son of 4x pro bowler, Joe Horn).

Plays at a P5 school.

- - - Updated - - -

Starting a watch-list thread.

This is the 2nd week of watching Arkansas State Red Wolves play and 2 players have stood out both weeks and are worth keeping an eye on this season.

1. Jr WR Jonathan Adams, 6’3”-220
    2. Sr DL Forrest Merrill, 6’1”-338
    Jonathan Adams after 6 games so far in 2020:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jonathan-adams-jr-1.html

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not necessarily one to watch but couple nice plays by Joey Porter Jr. today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Bama Sr. Najee Harris(of course) 6'2"-220. Will be around 700 total carries for his college career. Watching this guy reminds me a lot of James conner. I think a deal gets done with Conner, and Snell is going to be on roster probably through his rookie contract. But I could see Harris fitting in on the Steelers as a Conner's power meets Bell's receiving year 1(Shaun Alexander?). I'm still very much in Conner's corner but the injuries have me a little concerned how long he will last in the league. I don't think we have seen the best Snell has to offer running the ball but I'm not sure he will get much better as a receiver/pass protector. I really liked Harris last draft but he decided to remain for his senior year. He's not a Henry clone but he's big. Not a Mark Ingram but he has power. Not a Lev Bell but he's a competent receiver.

Going to start a list of Senior/Junior TEs. See which ones declare this draft. Add your own names to the list as you will.

Matt Bushman, BYU. NFL pedigree his father played 9yrs for the Eagles at TE. Suffered an Achilles injury so his draft status will probably fall. Worth some film study, IMO.

Brant Kuithe, Utah. 6'2"-235lbs probably more of a TE/HB/FB combo player but his offensive output stats are eye catching.

Luke Farrell, OSU. Very good blocker even at 6'6".

Hunter Long, BC. Run heavy offense so used mainly as a blocker but has good speed vs LBs.

Nick Lenners, KSU. Utility blocking TE. Plays at FB and on cover/return ST. 6'5"-255

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Wyatt David, OG (OC?), Ohio State

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

What are some people's thoughts on the following QBs

Kyle Trask?
    Mac Jones?
    Zach Wilson?

Will Trask be available when the Steelers pick? Do Jones and Wilson translate to the NFL?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post

Kyle Trask?
    Mac Jones?
    Zach Wilson?

Will Trask be available when the Steelers pick? Do Jones and Wilson translate to the NFL?
    At 32?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post

Kyle Trask?
    Mac Jones?
    Zach Wilson?

Zach Wilson reminds me of Josh Allen, in that you cannot teach arm strength. Every other “flaw” with him can be coached/corrected. Alas, he’s likely gone in the top 10. If he’s still there at 32, then a dozen teams effed up with their picks.

Alabama has produced some good QBs over the past few years. Obviously, the question in the back of my mind is: Is Mac Wilson productive because he’s surrounded by loads of offensive talent??? Strength: he’s so freaking accurate (he throws it perfectly)... but, he seems to be like Ben of this year: his passes travel 8-10 yards and the receivers are expected to do the rest. I’d wait to see if he’s there in R2, because I’m not taking him in R1.

Florida QBs scare me. I know that Spurrier is gone, but those Gator QBs never seem to produce the same way in the NFL (as they did in college). Kyle Trask seems like a high risk-high reward player. Unlike Wilson, Trask has very few weapons... and even when his Top 5 TE was out, Trask was still able to out of good numbers. Even though I listed Trask last, he’d be ahead of Wilson (IMO) and a rock-solid choice at 32.

Trevor Lawrence is the sure-fire, can’t miss prospect. There is ZERO chance the Jets don’t take him.

So, if I’m a team in the top 5 who doesn’t have a franchise QB, I miiiiight trade back with another team who wants Justin Fields (their R1 & R2 in 2020) and use those picks in order to acquire Spencer Rattler in 2022.

Dallas could franchise Dak, and then move on by drafting Rattler.

Or, since no one expects the Jags to be any good, they should accumulate picks (by trading back), tank 2021, draft Rattler, and use those newly-acquired picks to build a team around their young QB.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Trevor Lawrence is the sure-fire, can’t miss prospect. There is ZERO chance the Jets don’t take him.

So, if I’m a team in the top 5 who doesn’t have a franchise QB, I miiiiight trade back with another team who wants Justin Fields (their R1 & R2 in 2020) and use those picks in order to acquire Spencer Rattler in 2022.

Dallas could franchise Dak, and then move on by drafting Rattler.

Or, since no one expects the Jags to be any good, they should accumulate picks (by trading back), tank 2021, draft Rattler, and use those newly-acquired picks to build a team around their young QB.

Unless of course......the Jets win the game!!!!

How did you not see that coming?

After what I saw last night, they are picking anywhere from 21-24 and qb should be the no. 1 priority (aside from an OC capable of maximizing the potential of said qb). That would put the Steelers within striking distance for kevin colbert to pull off a good trade up for the right qb.

My annual plug for a Mountaineer:

Darius Stills, D-line, WVU

6’1” 285
    R3-R4
    Explosive, but very unorthodox; would require coaching to become more disciplined.

NOTE: He has a younger brother (Dante) who is bigger (6’4, 290) who currently isn’t as good, but could be possibly better in another year.

Oh... and, he graduated from my father’s high school.

You can go on Youtube currently and watch the Clemson/OSU game from last season's CFP. I recommend this and pay special attention to Clemson's LT #79. Jackson Carman(JR) plays mostly vs Chase Young for the entire game. Yes, Young beats him some but CY is maybe one of the best college edge rushers of the decade. Carman holds his own and it's a very good battle to watch. 1st round? 2nd round? I don't even know if he's declared for the draft yet or will this year. Very worthy of a watch.

Also in the same game as above another guy to watch is OSU RG #52 Wyatt Davis(JR). Also a player that may or may not declare for this next draft. Here's an article on Davis and his upcoming matchup to watch for vs Clemson in THIS year's CFP: https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/20...-bryan-bresee/

It's harder for me to clearly watch the IOL from a game film perspective but I can't find an all-22 of this game so far. Maybe one of you can help with that and post a link?
    Both are considered in the top 5 of their positions so neither is a shocking revelation or a new find, but this is a great game to watch if looking for possible OL prospects this draft.

Here is the game link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGmav9db7XQ

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Where do you think Devonte Smith will go in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Top 10 for sure. He's so damn good.

Smith and Jamar Chase are two of the best receiver prospects I've seen.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Top 5, my guess is Jets at 2. If not Dolphins or Bengals.

Sean Dykes, TE University of Memphis vs Ark State: 10 rec, 137yards, 2TDs. 6'2"-224lbs.

Sean Dykes highlights vs A-State: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy0KsYyTdLA
    Returning to school

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    My annual plug for a Mountaineer:

Darius Stills, D-line, WVU

6’1” 285
    R3-R4
    Explosive, but very unorthodox; would require coaching to become more disciplined.

NOTE: He has a younger brother (Dante) who is bigger (6’4, 290) who currently isn’t as good, but could be possibly better in another year.

Oh... and, he graduated from my father’s high school.
    It appears as though Dante does not want to stay in Morgantown without his brother. IMO, it’s a mistake for Dante to enter the draft; he needs another year to develop.

Maybe we double dip. They play really well together.

Darius with our R3 Comp pick?
    Dante with our R4* pick?

*I would say R5, but we currently don’t have a R5 pick

Maybe the top OC prospect in this year's draft: Creed Humphrey 6'5"-320 JR from OU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Yg5oq4eMM

This reel shows him playing as a left handed OC that is more of a wall off blocker. You don't see him going forward as much as turning DL out of the hole or walking them around in pass protection. Doesn't look like a true mauler but has good footwork and doesn't get pushed around by bigger guys.

Last season I was really high on Tyler Biadasz from Wisconsin. I don't like Humphrey's as much as I did Biadasz but that may also be due to OL scheme. UW was more run oriented to OK being a pass attack. Look at it and let me know what you think of Creed Humphrey.

It's a really good center class.

There is no Pouncey, though Iowa's Tyler Linderbaum would've been had he left school but there is talent to be found on day 2 of the draft.

No order.
    Creed(above)
    Landon Dickerson, Alabama (probably a round 2 guy but tore his ACL so maybe available in round 3?)
    Trey Hill, Georgia
    Josh Meyers, OSU
    Michal Menet, Penn State (I don't much about him but I've read he's a really technically sound player)

It's a really good center class.

There is no Pouncey, though Iowa's Tyler Linderbaum would've been had he left school but there is talent to be found on day 2 of the draft.

No order.
    Creed(above)
    Landon Dickerson, Alabama (probably a round 2 guy but tore his ACL so maybe available in round 3?)
    Trey Hill, Georgia
    Josh Meyers, OSU
    Michal Menet, Penn State (I don't much about him but I've read he's a really technically sound player)
    I really liked Dickerson before he got injured. One thing I found out about him since that Florida game in the SEC championship when he got hurt is that he has played at all 5 OL positions in college. I don't know if that makes him like the 'jack of all trades but master of none' type player, or more like the utility infielder in baseball that is just a superior player and fits like a plug and play guy wherever you need. Maybe both?

Meyers is the other Center I've studied a little so far. The question that seems to keep coming up is, how good is he really vs he had so much OL talent around him. Guess maybe it comes down to the interviews and/or individual workouts.

I know that we all want O-line and a RB, but imagine this defense with a stud ILB. I’ll add this name to our R1 mix:

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB/SS, Norte Dame

On running downs, he’s an ILB. On passing downs, he’s a DB. He is Derwin James / Jamal Adams, part II.

If we don't get a QB in the 1st round, I'm for Creed