Thread: Good luck in this upcoming strange as hell season

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Good luck in this upcoming strange as hell season

Wow. The NFL season opens in two more days. A month ago it still seemed like a pipe dream (although I believed with all that $$$$$ that would be lost, they’d have players suited up in MOPP gear if they had their way lol). But it is still going to be a strange season. From fewer fans to no fans, football is going to be a quieter affair this year. Very surreal.

But it beats no football!

So I say good luck. I believe the AFCN crown is going to the Ravens this year, unless Ben comes back with a vengeance. Either way, I don’t think the Bengals have a chance (though I wish Burrows well), and Cleveland is, well, Cleveland.

And if things go south, I’ll fish on Sundays lol. I’m crushing these bass down here in Texas!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Good luck in this upcoming strange as hell season

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Wow. The NFL season opens in two more days. A month ago it still seemed like a pipe dream (although I believed with all that $$$$$ that would be lost, they’d have players suited up in MOPP gear if they had their way lol). But it is still going to be a strange season. From fewer fans to no fans, football is going to be a quieter affair this year. Very surreal.

But it beats no football!

So I say good luck. I believe the AFCN crown is going to the Ravens this year, unless Ben comes back with a vengeance. Either way, I don’t think the Bengals have a chance (though I wish Burrows well), and Cleveland is, well, Cleveland.

And if things go south, I’ll fish on Sundays lol. I’m crushing these bass down here in Texas!
    You, too. That bass fishing sounds like a solid backup plan.

Until the Steelers (or anyone else) consistently beat the Ravens, I gotta go with the Ravens as the favorites for the AFCN. I think the Browns will be better and have the paper talent to be a dominant team. But likely another year of having Browns things happen. Bengals are improved, but still have holes.

Maybe the AFCN sends 3 teams to the expanded playoffs?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It’s going to be the Steelers or Ravens. Regardless, I think the AFCN is going to be competitive and will have 3 teams on or above .500.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Good luck to you too. Ravens are looking mighty scary this year. Chiefs are the favorite but I think Ravens are 2nd favorite

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Good luck to you too. Ravens are looking mighty scary this year. Chiefs are the favorite but I think Ravens are 2nd favorite
    ^^THIS^^
    Except for the good luck.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I don't expect a huge season but I'll be happy to just watch football

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I have a feeling I won’t be invited to the Ravens/Steelers game. Always have a fun time in downtown Baltimore. Only missed two in the last twenty years.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Good luck Crow and, I think if Ben plays well the Steelers could win the North. Ravens will be tough as usual might depend on how well Lamar plays in the playoff's.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

You may not under the current situation. Damned COVID!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Good luck Crow and, I think if Ben plays well the Steelers could win the North. Ravens will be tough as usual might depend on how well Lamar plays in the playoff's.
    What’s your take on Ben for 2020? Does he seem like he’s in game shape and ready to roll? He’s getting up there and coming off missing most of 2019 due to injury. Are you concerned about his abilities this year?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Burrows is going to have a fun time learning that the Steelers and Ravens defenses aren't East Tennessee State. If he survives those 4 games a year and thrives then he's the real deal.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

You may not under the current situation. Damned COVID!!!

- - - Updated - - -

What’s your take on Ben for 2020? Does he seem like he’s in game shape and ready to roll? He’s getting up there and coming off missing most of 2019 due to injury. Are you concerned about his abilities this year?
    I know you did not ask me for my take on Ben, but I personally am concerned about whether he can still produce. He physically looks in shape to me and appears to be committed to football, so I am hopeful. Most of the reports out of camp regarding his throwing have been positive. I can only find a report of one practice day where it was noted that he seemed to be off and short-arming his throws. There is no indication that it has been a consistent problem.

Still though, being 38 years old and coming back after reconstructive elbow surgery is definitely cause for concern. The flip side is that if his elbow was bothering him for a few years, maybe he actually comes back even better now that is has been cleaned up and repaired. We'll all see soon. Ben has a deep group of receiving options this year, and I personally think the national media is underestimating the Steelers receiving group. I think they are going to have 3 studs this year in JuJu, Diontae Johnson, and Chase Claypool.

Ravens are still the team to beat as they have won the division the last two years, and Lamar really improved as a passer last year. If he can keep improving in that regard, they are going to be an even tougher team to deal with going forward.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I know you did not ask me for my take on Ben, but I personally am concerned about whether he can still produce. He physically looks in shape to me and appears to be committed to football, so I am hopeful. Most of the reports out of camp regarding his throwing have been positive. I can only find a report of one practice day where it was noted that he seemed to be off and short-arming his throws. There is no indication that it has been a consistent problem.

Still though, being 38 years old and coming back after reconstructive elbow surgery is definitely cause for concern. The flip side is that if his elbow was bothering him for a few years, maybe he actually comes back even better now that is has been cleaned up and repaired. We'll all see soon. Ben has a deep group of receiving options this year, and I personally think the national media is underestimating the Steelers receiving group. I think they are going to have 3 studs this year in JuJu, Diontae Johnson, and Chase Claypool.

Ravens are still the team to beat as they have won the division the last two years, and Lamar really improved as a passer last year. If he can keep improving in that regard, they are going to be an even tougher team to deal with going forward.
    Valid concerns. Remember Bradshaw's career ended after elbow crap and he was only 35. Now granted that was 1983 and surgery and medicine have come a long way but it's still a concern of mine as well. We'll know within a few weeks though. Either he lights it up or we start looking for a QB in the coming drafts.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Valid concerns. Remember Bradshaw's career ended after elbow crap and he was only 35. Now granted that was 1983 and surgery and medicine have come a long way but it's still a concern of mine as well. We'll know within a few weeks though. Either he lights it up or we start looking for a QB in the coming drafts.
    Welp, 21/32, 229yds, 3 TD / 0 INT pretty much should alleviate those concerns. I was expecting a rusty Ben for a game or three, then returning more to form as the season progressed. What I did not expect was that the 'old' Ben would be back before halftime, spreading the ball around, scrambling for 1st downs, and dropping dimes. It's been a year since we've seen what passable NFL QB play looks like, and it was more than on display last night in NY.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Welp, 21/32, 229yds, 3 TD / 0 INT pretty much should alleviate those concerns. I was expecting a rusty Ben for a game or three, then returning more to form as the season progressed. What I did not expect was that the 'old' Ben would be back before halftime, spreading the ball around, scrambling for 1st downs, and dropping dimes. It's been a year since we've seen what passable NFL QB play looks like, and it was more than on display last night in NY.
    Not to mention he looks like he showed up this season in shape. He hasn't looked better in years (no homo) lol

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    I saw him limp and grab his knee/leg a couple of times. Any news on that or a non-issue? He started off a bit rusty but picked it up. Not a bad outing for no playing time since last September. The D looks pretty stout. Dupree was on fire.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I saw him limp and grab his knee/leg a couple of times. Any news on that or a non-issue? He started off a bit rusty but picked it up. Not a bad outing for no playing time since last September. The D looks pretty stout. Dupree was on fire.
    No news on this at present. As worrying as it could seem, clutching, grabbing, wincing, and gimping around has been a weekly feature of post 35 year old Ben R's arsenal. So it is hard to tell when he is just doing because he is old and hits hurt more than in your 20's and when it is an actual cause for concern.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That was before he scrambled for the 11 yard first down so I would say it’s probably a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler