Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Josh Dobbs is back!

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Re: Josh Dobbs is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I believe he is a street free agent , and likely will remain so, I think he has cashed his last NFL paycheck
    The QB depth behind Ben doesn't exactly strike fear in defensive coordinators' collective hearts, yet Lynch couldn't even fight his way onto the practice squad - and this guy was a first-rounder. This just reinforces the perception that John Elway is a phenomenally bad evaluator of QB prospects not named, 'John Elway'.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I believe he is a street free agent , and likely will remain so, I think he has cashed his last NFL paycheck
    It's Officially Time to Give Up on Paxton Lynch

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-paxton-lynch

These guys gave up on Lynch 2 years ago. Maybe the Arena League is next?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Looking past this season this QB room is not good. Currently, Ben is a cap hit of $24M, and due $41M next year. We all seem certain this is going to get extended but how does that play out?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...burgh-steelers

Mason Rudolph is the primary backup for the foreseeable future. Hopefully he grows in this role. He will earn $1M this season and is scheduled for $1.2M next season.

After Rudolph nobody else is under contract.
    Newly re-signed Joshua Dobbs is 1yr/$825K,(Same as released Lynch was contracted for this year) and PS QB Duck is 1yr/$143K.

Looking at 2021 UFA QB's 2020 contracts there are 4 that fit the age and experience should the Steelers sign a FA:
    Dak Prescott 28yrs old at $31M
    Jacoby Brissett 28yrs old at $15M
    Mitch Trubisky 27yrs old at $7M
    A.J. McCarron 30yrs old at $4M

OR via the draft, a 1st round rookie QB contract would be in the $8M-$10M per year range based on the contracts of the 2020 class.

All this means is all the shuffling around of 3rd string QBs still leaves us with Ben and some guys we hope we don't see play a snap in 2020, and only 2 viable QBs to start the 2021 offseason with. AND $17M over the cap. (Currently.)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Looking past this season this QB room is not good. Currently, Ben is a cap hit of $24M, and due $41M next year. We all seem certain this is going to get extended but how does that play out?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...burgh-steelers

Mason Rudolph is the primary backup for the foreseeable future. Hopefully he grows in this role. He will earn $1M this season and is scheduled for $1.2M next season.

After Rudolph nobody else is under contract.
    Newly re-signed Joshua Dobbs is 1yr/$825K,(Same as released Lynch was contracted for this year) and PS QB Duck is 1yr/$143K.

Looking at 2021 UFA QB's 2020 contracts there are 4 that fit the age and experience should the Steelers sign a FA:
    Dak Prescott 28yrs old at $31M
    Jacoby Brissett 28yrs old at $15M
    Mitch Trubisky 27yrs old at $7M
    A.J. McCarron 30yrs old at $4M

OR via the draft, a 1st round rookie QB contract would be in the $8M-$10M per year range based on the contracts of the 2020 class.

All this means is all the shuffling around of 3rd string QBs still leaves us with Ben and some guys we hope we don't see play a snap in 2020, and only 2 viable QBs to start the 2021 offseason with. AND $17M over the cap. (Currently.)
    I wouldn't want a single guy on that list other than Dak.

The long term post Ben QB of the Steelers is not on the roster currently and is almost certainly suiting up for either a high school team or a college team right now.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I wouldn't want a single guy on that list other than Dak.

The long term post Ben QB of the Steelers is not on the roster currently and is almost certainly suiting up for either a high school team or a college team right now.
    NOT a single guy!

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I'd consider Brissett as a backup at 5 mill a year .... not enough ? oh well not interested then
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

I'd consider Brissett as a backup at 5 mill a year .... not enough ? oh well not interested then
    Exactly. Dak at 'NOT $30M/year', Brissett at $5M would be fine, I'd even consider McCarron at $4M 5 years ago BUT he's obviously not as good as his 2015 season indicated. The talent and the money just don't line up. Back to the draft.