Thread: Big Ten Postpones 2020 Season

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Big Ten Postpones 2020 Season

"The Big Ten announced Tuesday that it will postpone all fall sports, including the 2020-21 football season, due to the health and safety concerns brought on by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The conference will continue to look into the possibility of playing in the spring."

https://www.nfl.com/news/big-ten-pos...play-in-spring

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Big Ten Postpones 2020 Season

This is terrible and he has a great point for the 2021 draft...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Spring schedule simply won't work. Sucks for all those involved, including the viewers

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Except Nebraska. Scott Frost says they are playing even if without the Big10.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Big East is out. No Villanova Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Warren squashed that idea pretty fast.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Did they even play last year in the Big 10?

Nebraska football hasnt been relevant in 20 years.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Did they even play last year in the Big 10?

Nebraska football hasnt been relevant in 20 years.
    I don't know what they did in Big10 play last season. I guess I could look it up.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

They've been like Northwestern tier in the Big10 for awhile now. They think they're still a power. But the Big 10 is Ohio State and then a large gap and then Michihan, PSU, and Wisconsin. Then another gap and everyone else

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Will give the universities more time to indoctrinate the players with Marxist ideology.
    All Defense!

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...big-ten-season

Well the players want to play and I don't blame them. This is potentially preventing them from elevating their draft stock. Though I'm sure this makes them selfish bratty kids who want to kill old people

The senior/junior players need to just stay in shape, stay healthy, and make themselves ready for the 2021 draft. I'm guessing they will still have access to team facilities and training staff? No football this fall sucks. But don't let this derail the entire plan.

I think the 2021 draft will be very weak....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I think the 2021 draft will be very weak....
    Why? The same players will be in it. Smart teams with good scouring departments shouldn't have a massive amount of trouble finding talented players.

Unless you think some large % of otherwise draft eligible players are going to petition the NCAA to let them stay in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Why? The same players will be in it. Smart teams with good scouring departments shouldn't have a massive amount of trouble finding talented players.

Unless you think some large % of otherwise draft eligible players are going to petition the NCAA to let them stay in college.
    I believe that players who do not have their draft stocks very high or they are unknown at the moment will stay in the college for 2021 to increase their value...

Just look at the tweet in post number 3 in this thread....Players like Burrow, Murray and Mayfield would never have had the opportunity to show how good they are if the NCAA wouldn't have had football in their last year in college.

One thing is certain, the 2021 draft is going to be very unpredictable and the first round pick will have less value in 2021, outside of the first overall pick.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I believe that players who do not have their draft stocks very high or they are unknown at the moment will stay in the college for 2021 to increase their value...

Just look at the tweet in post number 3 in this thread....Players like Burrow, Murray and Mayfield would never have had the opportunity to show how good they are if the NCAA wouldn't have had football in their last year in college.

One thing is certain, the 2021 draft is going to be very unpredictable and the first round pick will have less value in 2021, outside of the first overall pick.
    I think guys will still leave school as soon as they can. Most guys only play NCAA because they have to.

Smart teams will scoop up talent regardless of the missed games. Dumb teams will do dumb things.

The NFL media machine will make more out of it than it really is. Mayfield and Burrow were late hype players by the internet, but NFL teams knew about them. Every year you hear about guys "shooting" up draft boards. When you track it down, they didn't move on actual NFL team boards, just the media boards. Edmunds is a prime example of this.

But a guy like Joe Burrow wouldn’t have had a film role of 60 TDs to sway teams. Sure he would’ve had a little bit of film, but he wouldn’t have been the number one pick overall with out that 2019 production.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    But a guy like Joe Burrow wouldn’t have had a film role of 60 TDs to sway teams. Sure he would’ve had a little bit of film, but he wouldn’t have been the number one pick overall with out that 2019 production.
    Here is an article with more than a dash of hindsight that reviews how all the traits were there: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/04/nfl...rt-bengals-lsu

Sure, he doesn't go #1 overall, but that wasn't the original argument. The argument was that he wouldn't even get drafted or there would be less talent in the 2020 draft. To that, I gotta just say "Nah."

Good NFL times will find loads of talent in the 2020 draft class. If there is some Burrow style "late bloomer" a good NFL team will see that in the 2019 tape and grab the next "Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Dak Prescott" style later round starting QB.

Multiple players with NFL talent are opting out regardless of conference decisions and we will start to hear more each day. NFL pundits will trickle out a steady stream of stories about how without the season teams have no idea how to evaluate these guys....blah...blah...blah....and NFL scouting departments will just laugh. As they've had the foundations of a read on the potential 2020 draft entrants for some time now I suspect.

Of course he would’ve been drafted. I wouldn’t argue against that but he may not have been the second, third guy drafted. Maybe not even the third QB?

These guys know how to evaluate talent and I’ve been clamoring about that for years. The full library of game tape on a guy is of the utmost importance. Way more than any measureables at a combine. My point was just that theses guys may fluctuate big time without that final year of tape. If you have a good scouting department, in 2021, you may be getting a lot of bargains...normal first round talents in later rounds or you could be getting some first round busts...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Of course he would’ve been drafted. I wouldn’t argue against that but he may not have been the second, third guy drafted. Maybe not even the third QB?

These guys know how to evaluate talent and I’ve been clamoring about that for years. The full library of game tape on a guy is of the utmost importance. Way more than any measureables at a combine. My point was just that theses guys may fluctuate big time without that final year of tape. If you have a good scouting department, in 2021, you may be getting a lot of bargains...normal first round talents in later rounds or you could be getting some first round busts...
    I'd agree with all that. My only real point is that there will not be a significant drop in the available talent. It may be harder to find...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'd agree with all that. My only real point is that there will not be a significant drop in the available talent. It may be harder to find...
    The evaluation won’t be as accurate as it typically would be and for every “miss”, there will be a bargain to be had...early to say, but based on draft position, a team at the mid to bottom of the draft might have a chance at a Joe Burrow type...that could be scary...

Weak might not have been the right word, but it's going to be very unpredictable, especially in the first round .... If there's a good year to trade down, it's going to be the 2021 draft, but it's going to be harder to do too.

Also, without his last year in college, Kyler Murray would be in baseball with the Oakland A's right now!

Well both Big10 and Pac12 will play shortened seasons in time to qualify for Heisman and playoffs......for now.

Now both conference champions will definitely have to be undefeated to make it into college football playoffs over the top SEC team that doesn't win the conference. That certainly can happen with Ohio State who likely wins but most likely won't happen with the Pac12 champ

I thought PAC12 country was burning. How will they play any games?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Man Penn State is really bad this year.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Will give the universities more time to indoctrinate the players with Marxist ideology.
    Yep.

Big10 having an interesting season. Indiana took Ohio State down to the wire though OSU still pulled it out.

Seriously, no one can tell me it would have been better for the teams not to have a college football season because "MuH, vIrUs!"

When they take the proper measures and people follow protocol it works out well.

I’m sure Penn State rather not have a season...lol