Thread: Ben Roethlisberger Explains Elbow Injury: I Tore Three Flexor Tendons

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben Roethlisberger Explains Elbow Injury: I Tore Three Flexor Tendons

For the first time, QB Ben Roethlisberger opened up about the specifics of his 2019 season-ending elbow surgery. During his Zoom call with the media, he said he tore three of the five flexor tendons in his elbow.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Ben Roethlisberger Explains Elbow Injury: I Tore Three Flexor Tendons

Lombardis, here we come!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Also specifically addressed that there was pain and problems with the elbow for a few years. I remain convinced that is how and why his deep ball accuracy suddenly disappeared. What does it look like now? No way to know until we all see him let one fly during an actual game.

But if that part of his game comes back...and he retains his pre-injury accuracy and arm strength? He's gonna throw for a ton of yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Also specifically addressed that there was pain and problems with the elbow for a few years. I remain convinced that is how and why his deep ball accuracy suddenly disappeared. What does it look like now? No way to know until we all see him let one fly during an actual game.

But if that part of his game comes back...and he retains his pre-injury accuracy and arm strength? He's gonna throw for a ton of yards.
    I will be happy if he has a similar season that the 2017,minus the jaguars game in the regular season....I can live with him starting slow and be a very good game manager(as good in situation football,not too many turnovers and etc)because the rust (but at least the defense will probably be able to win games during that time) but in the second half of the season he is going to be at its best.

Of course, it's the best case scenario for steelers, but it's not impossible,but yeah his arm strength and accuracy will be very important.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

What a Prima donna. He acts like he tore all five tendons or something.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    From the article and PFF "When throwing at or beyond the sticks in 2018, Roethlisberger produced the NFL’s fourth-worst rate of uncatchable passes thrown, ranking just above Josh Allen, Mitchell Trubisky and Josh Rosen. Then, in the small sample we saw from him in 2019, Big Ben looked even worse as he stumbled to a PFF grade of just 49.0.”

So either between 2017 and 2018, the age cliff for QBs came for Ben OR that is when whatever was starting to go bad in his elbow really made itself known and he changed his game to short(er) passes. Then in 2019, the elbow fell apart completely.

I honestly think that we will see the 2016-2017 version of Ben at some point in 2020. I think his sudden inability to complete deep passes was injury rather than father time taking his skills away.

Mike Tannenbaum said that Pittsburgh may have the 4 best QB in the AFC north!

The media needs "easy" stories to fill all the space/demand for NFL content. A team starting a 38 year old QB coming off a major injury to his throwing arm in a division with 3 other Heisman winners at QB all under 26 years of age is a super easy story. Anyone can understand the logic in it. You don't have to have seen any of the guys play or know anything about the specifics of any of the teams. It looks good in a Tweet and generates clicks.

There is a more nuanced version of this story with details and context, but no one besides hardcore fans of the Steelers really has the interest level or patience for that story. So it doesn't get written. Sports reporting is essentially what sports radio used to be. Someone gets a "take" out there. The take is designed to be controversial/extreme so that it will generate debate. The debate then gets it retweeted and spread around. It has nothing to do with analysis or in-depth reporting.

There is a totally legitimate version of 2020 where despite a completely healed and perfectly functioning elbow, that Father Time comes for a starting QB in his 17th professional season.

There is also a version of 2020 where Ben R holds Father Time at bay for another year and plays at a high level. But that argument isn't interesting. It is the same reason that we have been reading about Brady, Brees, or Rivers decline for several seasons now. Those guys keep going out and playing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ben-roethli...002340144.html

13+ years of throwing elbow pain? Maybe we should be concerned that he won't be any good without the pain?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Without the lace
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Problem is...this guy may play for 3-4 more years now...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Without the lace
    Interesting drill.