Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ike Hilliard Says Chase Claypool Will Be ‘Really Good’ And ‘Will Play A Lot’

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Ike Hilliard Says Chase Claypool Will Be ‘Really Good’ And ‘Will Play A Lot’

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Ike Hilliard Says Chase Claypool Will Be ‘Really Good’ And ‘Will Play A Lot’

If there is a season ... I'm looking forward to this year's receivers. Washington has a full year under his belt with garbage throwing to him, Johnson is not a rookie anymore (IMHO a future stud), Juju will be healthy, Claypool will be exciting, Cain was reliable and we have two TE's that can catch (when healthy) that should open up the middle of the field.

Again all this is banking on there is a season, and Ben is healthy. We will have a really good offense to go along with our new defense. That said our coaching is still going to kill us when it's needed most.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Ike Hilliard Says Chase Claypool Will Be ‘Really Good’ And ‘Will Play A Lot’

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    If there is a season ... I'm looking forward to this year's receivers. Washington has a full year under his belt with garbage throwing to him, Johnson is not a rookie anymore (IMHO a future stud), Juju will be healthy, Claypool will be exciting, Cain was reliable and we have two TE's that can catch (when healthy) that should open up the middle of the field.

Again all this is banking on there is a season, and Ben is healthy. We will have a really good offense to go along with our new defense. That said our coaching is still going to kill us when it's needed most.
    Don't forget Switzer! He's apparently super jacked now. Which should really help him catch that 0 yard hitch he is famous for. So exciting!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ike Hilliard?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Don't forget Switzer! He's apparently super jacked now. Which should really help him catch that 0 yard hitch he is famous for. So exciting!
    He’s nothing until he posts an Outer Limits Sports training video...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Ike Hilliard?
    Our WR coach!

- - - Updated - - -

Please,don't turn this thread on Switzer again,this is the last thing that I want!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Our WR coach!

- - - Updated - - -

Please,don't turn this thread on Switzer again,this is the last thing that I want!
    Fair enough. I suspect Hilliard is just going to keep talking up his guys. What else is he going to say? So far he has said that Claypool is going to have a big impact in his rookie season and that Washington is just a freakish athlete ready to break out.

Sounds like coach speak fluff to me. Hope some it pans out.

Fair enough. I suspect Hilliard is just going to keep talking up his guys. What else is he going to say? So far he has said that Claypool is going to have a big impact in his rookie season and that Washington is just a freakish athlete ready to break out.

Just surprised he said that Claypool is going to play early and a lot .... We'll see if this is going to be true when the season will starts!

Often a coach said nothing about the playing time for a rookie who is not drafted in the first round especially early in the camp

Our WR coach!
    Yeah...but I take Hilliards comments with a grain of salt. What’s he supposed to say?

ExActly...

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Never heard a coach say "Dudes just not any good. I don't see him making this team even if every other player catches COVID".

Maybe someday?

What caught my attention was not that he said that he was going to be very good, but it is that it is likely that he was going to be used a lot.

Sometimes coaches say we have to be patient with this rookie and his playing time but that's not the case in his comments.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yeah...but I take Hilliards comments with a grain of salt. What’s he supposed to say?
    And he's the receivers coach not exactly the OC.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

with his height and speed he should be at the very least a good nate washington / martavis bryant / mike wallace type of player that Ben really likes. just go out there and get it kid haha.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

He'll get some red zone targets.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    Never heard a coach say "Dudes just not any good. I don't see him making this team even if every other player catches COVID".

Maybe someday?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Also, that extra strength will allow him to break one tackle on kick returns and finally get to the 18 yard line

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

instead of a snippet of his comment , lets hear everything he had to say https://www.steelers.com/video/hilli...eceiving-corps
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    with his height and speed he should be at the very least a good nate washington / martavis bryant / mike wallace type of player that Ben really likes. just go out there and get it kid haha.
    I plan to see a bigger version of Hines Ward. I keep hearing and reading Claypool's game speed is noticeably slower than his clocked 40 time, but I also keep hearing/reading that he is one hell of a blocker in the run game. To my way of thinking when I hear/read this is a WR that can engage a block the peel off for a pass like a TE OR be a physical blocker at the second level to help spring loose Conner or Snell once they get there. Not sure he will be the guy to consistently take the top off the defense but there is a limited aspect of that to his game too. Too early to really get deep into comparisons just yet but that's how I see him so far.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

in other words he looked at his draft profile and said oh he did this pretty well in college so yeah this is what to expect .....

its just blabber at this point and will be until they play games that count because there just wont be anything else to judge it on other than practice reps ( they haven't even done 7 on 7 drills yet and may not )

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I plan to see a bigger version of Hines Ward. I keep hearing and reading Claypool's game speed is noticeably slower than his clocked 40 time, but I also keep hearing/reading that he is one hell of a blocker in the run game. To my way of thinking when I hear/read this is a WR that can engage a block the peel off for a pass like a TE OR be a physical blocker at the second level to help spring loose Conner or Snell once they get there. Not sure he will be the guy to consistently take the top off the defense but there is a limited aspect of that to his game too. Too early to really get deep into comparisons just yet but that's how I see him so far.
    he is a really good blocker , so he may get some 1st team reps on running downs on the outside with JuJu on the other ....

I personally would rather see JuJu , Claypool ,1 TE , FB , RB ..... instead of 2 TE's ... I think you get your best blockers on the field that way and do not completely telegraph run

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

he is a really good blocker , so he may get some 1st team reps on running downs on the outside with JuJu on the other ....

I personally would rather see JuJu , Claypool ,1 TE , FB , RB ..... instead of 2 TE's ... I think you get your best blockers on the field that way and do not completely telegraph run
    Which TE? Ebron definitely doesn't telegraph run. McDonald is a good blocker/pass catcher combo but injury prone over his career. I wonder if Watt will be the new Rosy or if he will have a more versatile role within the offense. I don't know much about his game. AND does he pair well with McFarland(I still wonder why we drafted him when we drafted him).

Several enticing formations can be made with this current personnel even if only on paper for now. I expect to see a lot of 4WR sets with a lone RB as the default formation. I am hoping to see some Fichtner/Canada creativity though.

This is the first time since a long time that the steelers have had depth in the position of TE, WR and RB .... So we have a lot of possibility and versatility and a serious injury to one of his players will not be the end of the world for the steelers .... They are not too top heavy for once in skill position on offense.

This is the first time since a long time that the steelers have had depth in the position of TE, WR and RB .... So we have a lot of possibility and versatility and a serious injury to one of his players will not be the end of the world for the steelers .... They are not too top heavy for once in skill position on offense.
    Coaches do seem to look a lot better as coaches when they have the right groups of personnel to coach. I agree the depth looks much better than it has in years. Who will step up as the star of this offense I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Coaches do seem to look a lot better as coaches when they have the right groups of personnel to coach. I agree the depth looks much better than it has in years. Who will step up as the star of this offense I wonder?
    I believe our 2 best players in skill position will be Johnson and JuJu...But it could depend on the matchup too (The strengths and weaknesses of the opposing defenses)

I might be overconfident on this, but I'm still excited what the impact of Matt Canada is going to be, like the motion on offense, playaction and etc.

The key, of course, will be the health and strength of Ben's arm......

I believe our 2 best players in skill position will be Johnson and JuJu...But it could depend on the matchup too (The strengths and weaknesses of the opposing defenses)

I might be overconfident on this, but I'm still excited what the impact of Matt Canada is going to be, like the motion on offense, playaction and etc.

The key, of course, will be the health and strength of Ben's arm......
    I like the combination of Canada with Fichtner. Fichtner didn't have much to get creative with last season. Every week it was a new set of injuries so therefore a new set of personnel. Tough to creatively gameplan when the skillset keeps changing week to week. I think together, and with a healthier roster this season, this offense can be very dynamic and hard to stop. Pre-snap motion is one aspect that can help improve things but I don't think play-action will be used much more than it is now. Play-action also changes how the line blocks initially and that doesn't play to their strength. Although I do get why fans want to see more play-action. I have always felt that using a consistently productive run game, even if it's disguised with short to intermediate passes is the best approach for any offense. Using clock to give the other team fewer offensive opportunities and relying on a fresh defense to shut down those limited opportunities is my favorite recipe for success. Football strategy is always fluid and you have to adapt often, but the fundamentals remain the fundamentals.

Vance , because he gives you something as a blocker as well as pass catcher ... the less the defense knows pre-snap the better your odds of being successful IMO

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

I wonder if Claypool will ever line up and TE? With his size and speed against LBs, he would be a mismatch for defenses as a TE. Since he can block, they can't discount a running play.

Istina

Quote Originally Posted by Istina View Post
    I wonder if Claypool will ever line up and TE? With his size and speed against LBs, he would be a mismatch for defenses as a TE. Since he can block, they can't discount a running play.

Istina
    Maybe but this is not the same thing to block a LB and block a DB.