Thread: Several Players Opt Out Of 2020 Season

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Several Players Opt Out Of 2020 Season

CBS Sports is tracking all of the decisions in one place.

49ers
    None

Bears
    DT Eddie Goldman

Bengals
    None

Bills
    None

Broncos
    DL Kyle Peko

Browns
    None

Buccaneers
    None

Cardinals
    None

Chargers
    None

Chiefs
    OG Laurent Duvernay Tardif

Colts
    None

Cowboys
    WR Stephen Guidry
    CB Maurice Canady

Dolphins
    None

Eagles
    None

Falcons
    None

Washington Football Team
    DL Caleb Brantley

Giants
    None

Jaguars
    None

Jets
    None

Lions
    None

Packers
    None

Panthers
    None

Patriots
    S Patrick Chung
    LB Dont'a Hightower
    OT Marcus Cannon
    RB Brandon Bolden
    FB Danny Vitale
    OL Najee Toran

Raiders
    None

Rams
    None

Ravens
    OT Andre Smith
    WR De'Anthony Thomas

Saints
    TE Cole Wick

Seahawks
    OG Chance Warmack

Steelers
    None

Texans
    DL Eddie Vanderdoes

Titans
    OT Anthony McKinney

Vikings
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Re: Several Players Opt Out Of 2020 Season

I think we all would like to completely opt out of 2020.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Couple more added:

49ers
    None

Bears
    DT Eddie Goldman

Bengals
    None

Bills
    DL Star Lotulelei

Broncos
    DL Kyle Peko

Browns
    None

Buccaneers
    None

Cardinals
    None

Chargers
    None

Chiefs
    OG Laurent Duvernay Tardif

Colts
    None

Cowboys
    WR Stephen Guidry
    CB Maurice Canady

Dolphins
    None

Eagles
    WR Marquise Goodwin

Falcons
    None

Washington Football Team
    DL Caleb Brantley

Giants
    None

Jaguars
    None

Jets
    None

Lions
    None

Packers
    None

Panthers
    None

Patriots
    S Patrick Chung
    LB Dont'a Hightower
    OT Marcus Cannon
    RB Brandon Bolden
    FB Danny Vitale
    OL Najee Toran

Raiders
    None

Rams
    None

Ravens
    OT Andre Smith
    WR De'Anthony Thomas

Saints
    TE Cole Wick

Seahawks
    OG Chance Warmack

Steelers
    None

Texans
    DL Eddie Vanderdoes

Titans
    OT Anthony McKinney

Vikings
    DL Michael Pierce

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Patsies got hit hard

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Patsies got hit hard
    I smell a rat. There’s probably some little-known by-law that says if you lose 6 or more players to a disease (COVID) you automatically get a Top Ten pick in the subsequent draft.

Really. This is NOT some coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I smell a rat. There’s probably some little-known by-law that says if you lose 6 or more players to a disease (COVID) you automatically get a Top Ten pick in the subsequent draft.

Sounds like the players talked a lot and a bunch decided to bail.

This is exactly what I'm thinking, but rather than a little-known law, it's called "Tanking the season." Notice some of the names sitting out. Then, notice the one position they really need to fill next year in the draft. Coincidence?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    This is exactly what I'm thinking, but rather than a little-known law, it's called "Tanking the season." Notice some of the names sitting out. Then, notice the one position they really need to fill next year in the draft. Coincidence?
    Abhorrence for Lawrence

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Rebooting.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I don't think it is some carefully concocted conspiracy. 3 of those guys for the Pats are bottom of the roster journeymen. Not impact players. Chung and Hightower are a big deal and will negatively impact the defense without a doubt.

Cannon is a cancer survivor and likely decided the risk wasn't worth the reward. I read that Conner says he will play. I bet if Conner still had 2 well paid years left on his deal, he might not be playing either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't think it is some carefully concocted conspiracy. 3 of those guys for the Pats are bottom of the roster journeymen. Not impact players. Chung and Hightower are a big deal and will negatively impact the defense without a doubt.

Cannon is a cancer survivor and likely decided the risk wasn't worth the reward. I read that Conner says he will play. I bet if Conner still had 2 well paid years left on his deal, he might not be playing either.
    I don't know, taking what very well might be your top two guys out along with some bottom level guys is a great way make it look all above board. Funny thing, my best friend who is a Pats* fan said even he thought that might be what was going on.

I'm taking Dont'a at his word until I hear something more than just conspiracy theory.

Pats Nation, you have supported me unconditionally over the last 8 years. Through Super Bowl victories (3 of em!), season-ending injuries, the occasional “Boomtower” TD, strip sacks, charity events, and everything in between. I appreciate that support more than you know, and I appreciate that same support and understanding now more than ever.[/COLOR]

This wasn’t an easy decision, or one I made lightly, but I do feel that it’s the best decision for my family at this time. I’m so grateful for the support of my teammates and coaches as well, and I will try to continue to lead and help as much as I can. 202 has been a challenging year for our world. I hope you can all continue to be a light in these dark times — more light and great times are ahead. Thank you and stay safe!

Chiefs RB Damien Williams pots out today.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

The Patriots drive the players hard, it's like if you hate your boss and you have sick days on the books so you take them all at the end of the year, not caring if it pisses off your boss
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I remember reading that the agreement the league and the players worked out said that if you opt out of the season, you get a minimal amount like $150,000 and your contract tolls (basically, stays in place and the contract year that would have been 2020 is now your 2021 instead). If you opted in and then the season was canceled out from under you, it was a slightly higher amount like $300k, plus you got credit for a year of service if they played any regular-season games.

It is not very favorable for the players to opt out, unless maybe you thought you might get cut and not get picked up in FA. Great for the team though, if it's not going all-out in 2020. Lets them keep their salary cap in place and make decisions on key contracts later.

I haven't looked at the individual contracts of those players and what implications it would have for them or the team - but my guess would be they were told, "look, you can kick back and take your $150k, and keep your contract and benefits, and we'll see what happens next season - otherwise we are just cutting you outright."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I remember reading that the agreement the league and the players worked out said that if you opt out of the season, you get a minimal amount like $150,000 and your contract tolls (basically, stays in place and the contract year that would have been 2020 is now your 2021 instead). If you opted in and then the season was canceled out from under you, it was a slightly higher amount like $300k, plus you got credit for a year of service if they played any regular-season games.

It is not very favorable for the players to opt out, unless maybe you thought you might get cut and not get picked up in FA. Great for the team though, if it's not going all-out in 2020. Lets them keep their salary cap in place and make decisions on key contracts later.

I haven't looked at the individual contracts of those players and what implications it would have for them or the team - but my guess would be they were told, "look, you can kick back and take your $150k, and keep your contract and benefits, and we'll see what happens next season - otherwise we are just cutting you outright."
    I heard that Hightower and Chung are getting $150,000 and that Cannon is getting somewhere around $300,000. Both Hightower and Chung have saved their money over the years so they're all set. This won't bother them much.
    Last edited by tom444; 07-30-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

$150k that is paid back next season when the contract tolls. $350k if it’s a medical or high risk reason. Also paid back next season. It’s not like they are getting free money. It’s paid back out of the contract when it tolls in 2021.

If the player has young kids or babies at home (Hightower, Goodwin, etc) it is VERY favorable for them to opt out.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Yeah you can't blame the players for opting out of the season.

But can the players opt back in?

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

No. Once you opt out, you're stuck for the entire season: https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/...hiefs-patriots

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Bellycheat has a 'trick' up his sleeve, NO DOUBT. He's going to have a losing season ( player's opt out) , and then have a No.1 pick at the QB.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tion-loophole/

I can't find anything on draft picks vs players opting out, but this article talks about contracts are non-renegotiable during an opt out. If this is anything it's a play by the Pats to keep certain personnel under 2020 contracts thru 2021 and betting that there will be a shortened season in 2020. Probably a safe bet, but other than full on tanking I don't find how this turns into high draft picks. Still looking into it, post any findings on here. This is an interesting discussion.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Not really "on topic" but in the discussion. This article talks about the AFC East and how opt outs could effect the division.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/08...-the-afc-east/

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Not really "on topic" but in the discussion. This article talks about the AFC East and how opt outs could effect the division.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/08...-the-afc-east/
    The Pats are up to 8 opt outs.

Geronimo Allison is the latest to opt out. Both Stafford and Minshew test positive.

49ers
    None

Bears
    DT Eddie Goldman

Bengals
    DL Josh Tupou

Bills
    DL Star Lotulelei
    CB E.J. Gaines

Broncos
    DL Kyle Peko

Browns