Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no NFL in 2020 ? could happen

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

no NFL in 2020 ? could happen

so many players on social media complaining the league has no plan for their safety .... claiming they want to play but not without safety guarantees ... life comes with no such guarantees tho ...

they want paid even if they do not play ... I just can not see that happening ...

show up play and get paid and earn a year towards your free agency OR stay home do not get paid and do not earn a year towards free agency it really IMO should be just that simple ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: no NFL in 2020 ? could happen

At the same time,Goodell don't care about the players safety....This situation could be ugly like it was in baseball

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    At the same time,Goodell don't care about the players safety....This situation could be ugly like it was in baseball
    I won't pretend to know what he ( Goodell) feels , thinks ... what I do now is there is no way to guarantee anything , players are asking for the impossible when asking for guarantees , hell there is no guarantee they won't catch if from the wife who went grocery shopping , or from their friend that dropped by to chill .... but they want Goodell and the league to make guarantees ...its not practical or possible

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

So many people who make pennies compared to what NFL players make lost their jobs, income, businesses and their livelihood so in my mind it would look very bad for NFL players to expect to get paid even if they don't play (of course it will happen). But yeah, in the climate where at least fear of the virus is still very prevalent it is a possibility now. Also Goodell is doing a poor job with safety measures? Color me shocked!

To be clear, I agree that players should not be paid if they choose not to play

Goodell and the players look bad right now.

I'm just going to wait and see how this story ends but for now I have no expectations, so no stress!

One thing is for sure, it will hurt a lot of teams including the steelers when the salary cap is going to be lower ... It's another story but it's going to be very ugly and this is not just for the steelers.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

This surprises no one.

I have very low expectations of anything happening. I am preparing for no football.

kind of crazy when you consider this........

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

You're just realizing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    kind of crazy when you consider this........

Theres an exponential growth factor in play here that you really dont need to worry about with the common flu. At the end of the day, its just a sport. Literally, just a sport.

Might i suggest to my fellow forum members, watching MMA? I enjoy it leaps and bounds over even football which is really saying something. And theres been fights every week, sometimes even multiple times a week
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    So many people who make pennies compared to what NFL players make lost their jobs, income, businesses and their livelihood so in my mind it would look very bad for NFL players to expect to get paid even if they don't play (of course it will happen).
    I find it more bothersome that professional athletes are somehow deemed more "worthy" than everyone else and are being tested practically every day whereas the average ham-n-egger has to pretty much fight tooth-and-nail to be tested once if they aren't already so sick that they're in the ER with it.

see I wont get tested unless I am actually sick ... seems like a giant waist of time and resources to me being tested without symptoms ... so I am fine now get tested but 15 mins later I am exposed ( and still feel fine ) walking around with a false sense of security ...

I am an " at risk " individual with copd ... but I am living life ( as much as possible) as if this thing was never here .... I wash my hands a lot but I did that anyways , I do not wear a mask and I try to be as normal as I can be , surroundings do not always permit that but I do the best I can and won't go where forced to mask up ..

If I do not feel well I stay home , same as before ...if you do not feel well I would hope you also would stay home but I have always felt that way ....

I think a little common sense goes a long ways ...

I am not a believer in the mask theory if it helped it would say so on the box ( they do not ) and I certainly do not believe that bandana is saving anyone ... if I can hold it up to the light and see light without the aid of a microscope its useless IMO the virus is microscopic ....

not saying anyone else should do as I do but I am a believer in life is only as good as its quality ... so gonna live it to the best of my ability without regrets

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I won't pretend to know what he ( Goodell) feels , thinks ... what I do now is there is no way to guarantee anything , players are asking for the impossible when asking for guarantees , hell there is no guarantee they won't catch if from the wife who went grocery shopping , or from their friend that dropped by to chill .... but they want Goodell and the league to make guarantees ...its not practical or possible

agreed, this is getting out of hand, if your afraid of catching this virus (or any virus) stay home, that goes for players or anyone else. They're trying haphazardly to lock-down the whole world and its turning into a mess.

for players who don't want to play, let them take a hiatus without pay. In the meantime, pay for their health insurance, have the league reinstate them when they feel its safe enough to return.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post

Might i suggest to my fellow forum members, watching MMA? I enjoy it leaps and bounds over even football which is really saying something. And theres been fights every week, sometimes even multiple times a week
    I just cant get into it. I saw what is now MMA, back in the early years in the late 1980's and catch some fights now and then. I would honestly rather watch Muay Thai.

Back on topic, this will become a employer-union situation where the employers are in their offices with minimal health risks, while the employees(players) are at much more risk of contracting the virus. I could definitely see there not being a season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I find it more bothersome that professional athletes are somehow deemed more "worthy" than everyone else and are being tested practically every day whereas the average ham-n-egger has to pretty much fight tooth-and-nail to be tested once if they aren't already so sick that they're in the ER with it.
    But isnt it really just a product of a free market economy? Pro athletes and their teams make more money than the average person, so they have discretionary income to get tested more regularly and pay for labs to do the testing.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I just cant get into it. I saw what is now MMA, back in the early years in the late 1980's and catch some fights now and then. I would honestly rather watch Muay Thai.

Back on topic, this will become a employer-union situation where the employers are in their offices with minimal health risks, while the employees(players) are at much more risk of contracting the virus. I could definitely see there not being a season.

- - - Updated - - -

But isnt it really just a product of a free market economy? Pro athletes and their teams make more money than the average person, so they have discretionary income to get tested more regularly and pay for labs to do the testing.
    the employers can always find athletes willing to play even in this environment, i don't think the players union can do much about that. question is will the state step in and shut the football season down? That seems like a possibility.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...EegQICxAG&ep=6

Interesting discussion with Tom Pelissero (https://twitter.com/TomPelissero) about how the CBA drives some of this and the increasingly "hardball" approach the league/owners are taking. It does not paint a rosy picture for fans getting to see any games.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

There will be some sort of season. There’s way too much money tied up
    In TV revenue to just not play and let’s be honest, that’s all these guys care about.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    the employers can always find athletes willing to play even in this environment, i don't think the players union can do much about that. question is will the state step in and shut the football season down? That seems like a possibility.
    I cant see a plethora of scab players being employed like its the '87 strike all over again...if there isn't a union consensus that the return to work framework is not what they believe is a safe work environment. There will need to be agreement between owners and unions first. Then if there are individual players that decide not to play, like in NBA or NHL, then it will be their choice and may not be entitled to monetary compensation in some way.

I guess my question to you is that when you say "will the state step in and shut the season down?"...what state are you referring to? Individual states that may not grant permission to use sports stadiums?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...EegQICxAG&ep=6

Interesting discussion with Tom Pelissero (https://twitter.com/TomPelissero) about how the CBA drives some of this and the increasingly "hardball" approach the league/owners are taking. It does not paint a rosy picture for fans getting to see any games.
    Sorry, but no time to actually listen to the entire podcast.

Looking at his twitter and the references to Jets and Giants saying no fans at Met Life stadium or fans at practices, I think that is a given. The tactic of playing "hardball" in discussions or negotiations has never worked out in getting to quick resolution of issues, so my guess is that if that is the tactic, then even football with no fans in the stands might likely ben in jeopardy.

Can a 10 game season be pulled off and still be basis for a playoff and presenting the Super Bowl in February? It might be the question if the 2 sides are going to butt heads for the first couple months of what would be a season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sorry, but no time to actually listen to the entire podcast.

Looking at his twitter and the references to Jets and Giants saying no fans at Met Life stadium or fans at practices, I think that is a given. The tactic of playing "hardball" in discussions or negotiations has never worked out in getting to quick resolution of issues, so my guess is that if that is the tactic, then even football with no fans in the stands might likely ben in jeopardy.

Can a 10 game season be pulled off and still be basis for a playoff and presenting the Super Bowl in February? It might be the question if the 2 sides are going to butt heads for the first couple months of what would be a season.
    What I took away is that the NFL is now paying a price that may include cancelling the season for spending March-July ignoring this and not entering into any long-range contingency planning with the NFLPA.

One of the biggest issues is that the owners want 35% or so of 2020 player salaries in escrow and then if any revenue is lost, the teams get that cash back. The players don't like the appearance that they have to absorb all the risk both health and finances. The owners countered with a 40% reduction in 2020 cap. The other sticking point is that the owners want to deal with all the lost revenue in salary cap terms in 2021. Basically the CBA says that if revenues are this than the cap has to be that. The NFLPA wants to spread out the cap reduction over a number of future years. They figure it will be more than balanced by the rises in the cap from going to 17 games and the new TV deal. The NFLPA and some GMs are really against the league's all at once plan because it would basically mean a roster bloodbath across the league as teams frantically cut players to get under either a reduced 2020, 2021, or both cap.

Another interesting side track to the main discussion was that more and more coaches are getting really nervous. Most of the league has old coaching staffs and apparently everyone is just sick as a dog at the end of the season (colds, flus, etc) because the get super worn down from the ridiculous hours they put in over the regular season. So the podcast talks about how more and more coaching staffs are worrying about the ability of their older members to complete the season.

I cant see a plethora of scab players being employed like its the '87 strike all over again...if there isn't a union consensus that the return to work framework is not what they believe is a safe work environment. There will need to be agreement between owners and unions first. Then if there are individual players that decide not to play, like in NBA or NHL, then it will be their choice and may not be entitled to monetary compensation in some way.

I guess my question to you is that when you say "will the state step in and shut the season down?"...what state are you referring to? Individual states that may not grant permission to use sports stadiums?
    there probably will be consensus between the union and owners, players probably do want to get paid and i'm thinking alot will be more flexible on the conditions to play then some others. I think enough players will push for an agreement, because they do want their salaries and they'll look honestly and logically at the nature of this virus (because they have to) and weigh the risks against making their money. and those that don't will be replaced by the 'next man up'

But, yeah, a number of states can shutdown or prohibit all sporting events, by their governor mandates, without a vote and approval by the state legislatures, under the umbrella of a 'state of emergency'. If there are just a handful of states still allowing sporting events, what then? Does the NFL choose to play in just those states? I don't think so.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

so many players on social media complaining the league has no plan for their safety .... claiming they want to play but not without safety guarantees ... life comes with no such guarantees tho ...

they want paid even if they do not play ... I just can not see that happening ...

show up play and get paid and earn a year towards your free agency OR stay home do not get paid and do not earn a year towards free agency it really IMO should be just that simple ...
    It's not surprising. IMO, most of the players don't care about the game of football at all. No passion for the game.

I am about done watching political football. Now two anthems? One for all Americans and a racist one just for Black people? The terrorist group BLM strokes again.
    Hater = Realist

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yeah, it's crazy. Even if you get tested you wait a week or more to get the results.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

There is no way to play football while remaining safe from spreading the virus, it is one or the other. Either you cancel the season or you play it accepting that either you will get the disease or you won't. I would lean strongly toward them not having a season - too many players on a team for someone not to have it week to week, and then what? Even though that would still be perfectly safe for 99% of those guys, the drumbeat has been going and the precedent has been set: Shut it all down.

The one thing that will not happen is the players being paid a full season's salary and not playing. Easy to say "Oh, the owners can afford it, they're just greedy!" ... but that's $6.4 billion they're asking to give away out of the goodness of their hearts. Probably the total net value of 4-6 franchises. Not gonna happen.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    There is no way to play football while remaining safe from spreading the virus, it is one or the other. Either you cancel the season or you play it accepting that either you will get the disease or you won't. I would lean strongly toward them not having a season - too many players on a team for someone not to have it week to week, and then what? Even though that would still be perfectly safe for 99% of those guys, the drumbeat has been going and the precedent has been set: Shut it all down.

The one thing that will not happen is the players being paid a full season's salary and not playing. Easy to say "Oh, the owners can afford it, they're just greedy!" ... but that's $6.4 billion they're asking to give away out of the goodness of their hearts. Probably the total net value of 4-6 franchises. Not gonna happen.
    The money will ultimately decide. Given the almost totally adversarial relationship between the league and the union; figure it ends up in the court system.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Yeah, it's crazy. Even if you get tested you wait a week or more to get the results.
    they’ll test approximately 3200 people a day with a 24 hour turn around...no big deal. Not like it’s taking resources away from the general public or anything like that and I’m sure all 3200 people or so will follow all the guidelines to stay safe!

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

If you do the math on it then you quickly find out that for people with no pre-existing relevant health conditions face a very low risk. In Switzerland, of all people infected with no pre-existing relevant health condition the death rate is 0.13%, which is comparable to many other diseases like the flu.

Since NFL players typically enjoy top-notch medical attention and are even more healthy than average people in Switzerland do, the rate there probably would be even lower.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    If you do the math on it then you quickly find out that for people with no pre-existing relevant health conditions face a very low risk. In Switzerland, of all people infected with no pre-existing relevant health condition the death rate is 0.13%, which is comparable to many other diseases like the flu.

Since NFL players typically enjoy top-notch medical attention and are even more healthy than average people in Switzerland do, the rate there probably would be even lower.
    Based on the death rates by age group, if every single player got sick, there would be about a 1-2% chance of one person dying. Of course, that's assuming that everyone with health problems stayed away. How would the fact that most linemen, even though they are in good shape, would be considered extremely overweight, affect things? Who knows. And if I was a coach in my 60s or 70s, I'd think twice about going near there.

Off the top of my head, at minumum the Seahawks, 49ers, Chargers, Rams, Giants, Jets, Patriots, Lions, Bears, Steelers, Eagles, Ravens, and Washington Redskins of Anaheim will not be allowed to play in their home stadiums. If the governor doesn't ban it, the mayor will, and if the mayor doesn't, then the county health director will, and if s/he doesn't, some other bureaucrat will. So they will have to find some neutral location that is willing to host most games, like the NBA did.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

In the end I think the football is almost impossible to pull off an entire season. The NBA and NHL are finishing last season in a bubble. Even as f** up as MLB is, the sport is just easier to play in a pandemic.

In addition, Wolf is said to be considering putting Allegheny County back into red. Other states could do similar regulations within counties that host NFL teams in the fall. Moreover, I don't believe for a second that the league will keep playing if a large number of its stars have to sit out because of a covid diagnosis. That said, I think there is likely to be a abbreviated season.

There is too much money available for both sides to not try and get in a season. We know the owners want the revenue. And the players surely do as well. Plus, the players don't want to lose a year of service.
    I expect an abbreviated season that extends into spring. I'll predict the whole league gets shutdown by the end of October and then restarts in the spring. Super Bowl with about 12 games by the end of march.

And I have to say I think this is the best case senerio

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Been kicking this idea around in my own head for a little while. Let me run this up the ole flag pole for a test. Not asking if the league is likely to do anything, just what if.

Teams play within their own division only(similar to college conference only play). 9-12 game season, playoffs of division winners only. Superbowl is AFC vs NFC per usual.
    Limits travel, and season gets an asterisk anyway so players get to sit out if they want.