Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bud Dupree Files Grievance With NFLPA Over Franchise Tag

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bud Dupree Files Grievance With NFLPA Over Franchise Tag

Steelers linebacker Bud Dupree has reportedly filed for a grievance with the NFLPA, looking to be paid as a defensive end instead of an outside linebacker in 2020, according to Ian Rapoport.

Dupree is set to make $15.8 million under the franchise tag, and has not reached an agreement with the Steelers for a new contract. The two sides have until 4 pm on July 15 to reach a deal. The Steelers currently have $5.67 million left in cap space.

Dupree finished the season with a career-high 68 tackles and 11.5 sacks, adding four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries to a defense that led the NFL in turnovers.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Shaq Barrett also filed for a grievance looking for the same compensation as Dupree. The difference between defensive end and linebacker is $2 million.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...rievance-nflpa

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Bud Dupree Files Grievance With NFLPA Over Franchise Tag

So let me get this straight.
    -He is being paid more than $15 million dollars, (both more than he's worth and more than most people will see in a lifetime)
    -He is being franchised at a position he's played in his career
    -He is filing a grievance to be paid $2 million more.
    -All this coming from a player with no more than one decent season in a 5 year career.

This has morbidly pathetic written all over it

Junior Member Array title="robertopod is an unknown quantity at this point">

So wish we would have spent this money elsewhere. He’s a classic example of playing great(good) for your contract year and then flaming out. At least they haven’t done a big deal for him. Yet. That would be a big mistake !!

Quote Originally Posted by robertopod View Post
    So wish we would have spent this money elsewhere. He’s a classic example of playing great(good) for your contract year and then flaming out. At least they haven’t done a big deal for him. Yet. That would be a big mistake !!
    Boy, it's be handy knowing the future like you.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    -He is being paid more than $15 million dollars, (both more than he's worth and more than most people will see in a lifetime)
    -All this coming from a player with no more than one decent season in a 5 year career.

What position has he played for 5-years? You want to say OLB but that’s not necessarily true. His position is really classified as EDGE. In a 4-3, EDGE is a DE. In a 3-4, EDGE is an OLB. There’s no classification on a franchise tag for an Edge Rusher. It’s either DE or OLB. So the question needs to be answered as to which scheme do the Steelers run most? But then don’t forget they run Nickel, Dime and their Dollar D something like 70-80% of the time in which Dupree, Watt and two DL are the only ones near the line of scrimmage and then 7 other guys playing various positions depending on that particular plays assignment. He may have a legitimate argument that he plays more snaps as a DE than an OLB.

• Defensive end (DE) The two defensive ends play next to the defensive tackles, at the edges of the defensive line. Their function is to attack the passer or stop offensive runs to the outer edges of the line of scrimmage (most often referred to as "containment").

• Outside linebacker (OLB) The outside linebacker's job is to cover the end to make sure a run doesn't escape, and to watch the pass and protect from it. The middle linebacker's job is to stop runs between the tackles and watch the entire field to see the play develop.

I don’t know...I don’t remember seeing Bud (or TJ for that matter) dropping into coverage more often than they are rushing the passer...could be wrong though...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This just goes to show that people truly don’t understand the difference between millions and billions.

The best way to explain the difference is that 1 million seconds is 11 1/2 days... and, 1 billion seconds is nearly 32 years.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Why do some Steeler fans act like its THEIR money a player is trying to get paid with??

If somebody had a CHANCE to earn $2 million more for 1 year and all they had to do was file some paperwork.....why would you not do it??? For the average football fan, that is the same as buying a lottery ticket. I dont hear anybody bitching about people buying lottery tickets.

I hope Bud is lucky enough to get the extra $2million. I wish fortune and compensation for anybody in life that works towards their goals. Free market capitalism at its finest. But I think he dropped too much in pass coverage to be considered a DE and that will likely be taken into account by an arbitrator.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Too funny. Let him go. Spend the money on someone worthy.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Players have done this very thing over less since FA began. Nothing different about Bud's grievance. The fans thinking this is something new, greedy, or out of the norm just aren't informed. Just like when TEs want to be tagged under WR because of where they line up for most plays. Obviously Bud's agent feels lining up in an even front makes him a DE just as easy as a OLB. AND $2M is $2M.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Dong contract!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Players have done this very thing over less since FA began. Nothing different about Bud's grievance. The fans thinking this is something new, greedy, or out of the norm just aren't informed. Just like when TEs want to be tagged under WR because of where they line up for most plays. Obviously Bud's agent feels lining up in an even front makes him a DE just as easy as a OLB. AND $2M is $2M.
    Just this off-season Barrett and Judon did the same thing. And I know that several other players, from the Pro Bowl to the Toilet Bowl, have done this in the past. It is almost a yearly thing.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I don’t blame him too much either, the season could very well be cut short, so then what? Getting paid for just a portion of the season? That would be based on your base salary for the year so the extra 2 million comes in handy.

People are getting laid off or having their pay cut all over the place, while the big corporations are getting billions in bailout money - free money - and they can still lay off as many people as they want, so in this environment I’m not going to blame a football player for trying to make a little more money

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Just this off-season Barrett and Judon did the same thing. And I know that several other players, from the Pro Bowl to the Toilet Bowl, have done this in the past. It is almost a yearly thing.
    It's expected.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

This is the same stunt that Bell pulled to try to get himself classified as a WR and not a RB ... and I'm sure that memory is still fresh in the minds of the Steelers braintrust. Bud will get his franchise offer at OLB rates, and is now essentially talking his way off of the team. I'd anticipate a pretty conservative offer next offseason and the Steelers happily let him walk to some idiotic team like the Raiders who will overpay him to go back to playing at half-speed.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    This is the same stunt that Bell pulled to try to get himself classified as a WR and not a RB ... and I'm sure that memory is still fresh in the minds of the Steelers braintrust. Bud will get his franchise offer at OLB rates, and is now essentially talking his way off of the team. I'd anticipate a pretty conservative offer next offseason and the Steelers happily let him walk to some idiotic team like the Raiders who will overpay him to go back to playing at half-speed.
    Bud signed his tender. He’s filing a grievance (which is the correct way to do it).

It’s akin to Dwight Schrute making $60,000, but then realizing that he is being paid as the “Assistant to the Regional Manager”... whereas, having the title of “Assistant Manager” would get him an extra $8,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Bell wanted both a RB and WR classification...no?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bud signed his tender. He’s filing a grievance (which is the correct way to do it).

It’s akin to Dwight Schrute making $60,000, but then realizing that he is being paid as the “Assistant to the Regional Manager”... whereas, having the title of “Assistant Manager” would get him an extra $8,000.
    Lol. I’ve been watching a lot of the Office later...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    It's expected.
    Yup. The Texans listed Clowney as a OLB/DE to reduce the value of the tag. The Ravens listed Suggs as a OLB to reduce the tag and they later both compromised on the value. Teams try and undervalue players and fans dont complain. But when a player does, some fans cry like its money coming from their pocket. Has to be even both ways.

Report: NFLPA expected to file grievance over value of Jadeveon Clowney’s tag

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-clowneys-tag/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Lol. I’ve been watching a lot of the Office later...
    Well worth your time. I have to re certify every year for CPR and I use the Office as a resource to remind me how its done.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yup. The Texans listed Clowney as a OLB/DE to reduce the value of the tag. The Ravens listed Suggs as a OLB to reduce the tag and they later both compromised on the value. Teams try and undervalue players and fans dont complain. But when a player does, some fans cry like its money coming from their pocket. Has to be even both ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Well worth your time. I have to re certify every year for CPR and I use the Office as a resource to remind me how its done.
    LMAO

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Iagree with most of what you're saying but, to be fair, for some fans it is money coming from their pockets. Without the Fans filling the stadiums, the players don't get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Iagree with most of what you're saying but, to be fair, for some fans it is money coming from their pockets. Without the Fans filling the stadiums, the players don't get paid.
    Yeah, but that money would come out of our pockets regardless of what he gets paid. That's because of the cap minimum and limit—ticket prices will not go up or down to cover his contract. His grievance only affects money in the pockets of his teammates.

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post

I mean one can't blame the guy for trying to get as much money as he can. Especially when you play a sport where a serious injury could derail your career in one fell swoop. I guess I don't have a major problem with it.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
    I mean one can't blame the guy for trying to get as much money as he can. Especially when you play a sport where a serious injury could derail your career in one fell swoop. I guess I don't have a major problem with it.
    It’s all relative.

A worker in India looks at Dwight Schrute as says, “Waaa, waaa... that $8,000 is more than I’d make in four years. Take your huge salary and stop crying.

Simultaneously, a diamond-mine worker in the Congo looks at the Indian and says, “Waaa, waaa... your yearly-salary is more than I’d make in a lifetime. Take your huge salary and stop crying.

Yeah, that is what some delusional fans will think. If Bud Dupree gets $2 million more from the grievance, that will vastly impact the price of his pair of seats in section 225, because he is footing the bill. Its not the revenue from TV contracts, merchandising, luxury boxes, etc that are as impactful in what the salary cap is listed at, as his 8 home games a year, the hot dog and beer he buys.

Sure fans are an important part of the league, but owners, GM's and administrators manage the team spending and salary cap. Not fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yeah, but that money would come out of our pockets regardless of what he gets paid. That's because of the cap minimum and limit—ticket prices will not go up or down to cover his contract. His grievance only affects money in the pockets of his teammates.
    So true. If they dont have cap space, then there will be a restructure or release. IF they do have the extra $2 million, then it would limit somebody else getting that money.

I also agree with Iowa, why blame a man for trying to earn as much money as he can. Especially in a league with NO guaranteed contracts, only guaranteed signing bonus.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Thats why we got Alex Highsmith

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It’s all relative.

A worker in India looks at Dwight Schrute as says, “Waaa, waaa... that $8,000 is more than I’d make in four years. Take your huge salary and stop crying.

Simultaneously, a diamond-mine worker in the Congo looks at the Indian and says, “Waaa, waaa... your yearly-salary is more than I’d make in a lifetime. Take your huge salary and stop crying.
    Stop making fun of my relatives... oh, wait. That's not what you meant... never mind!
    Last edited by Craic; 07-15-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

If he wanted more $ he should have played better more consistently over his initial contract or settled on a long term deal. He wants his cake and eat it too, but is a hollow above average player. Will never go down in Steelers history let alone NFL.
    All Defense!

Not true. The actual game day ticket sales are only little of the teams income. Most of the income comes from TV Revenue and Licensing/Merchandising. They also get Local Revenue which consists of Game Day sales but even that is only a part of local revenue as ticket sales from other stadium events count in that local revenue. Players and teams would be fine if fans didn’t “fill the stands”. Of course it wouldn’t look good, but it really wouldn’t be the end of the world if the stadium were only half full.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Why do some Steeler fans act like its THEIR money a player is trying to get paid with??

If somebody had a CHANCE to earn $2 million more for 1 year and all they had to do was file some paperwork.....why would you not do it??? For the average football fan, that is the same as buying a lottery ticket. I dont hear anybody bitching about people buying lottery tickets.

I hope Bud is lucky enough to get the extra $2million. I wish fortune and compensation for anybody in life that works towards their goals. Free market capitalism at its finest. But I think he dropped too much in pass coverage to be considered a DE and that will likely be taken into account by an arbitrator.
    It's because we're all selfish and greedy and jealous and can't stand to see a poor working stiff succeed, that's why .

It's not that we want the team to win, and know that overpaying players hurts the odds of that.

It's not that we're judging his performance and thinking $18 million is a bit much to pay.

It's certainly not that we think other players on the defense are better, and therefore more deserving of big money (Dupree will take up about 10% of the team salary cap if successful, and was probably the 8th or 9th best player om defense last year).

No, it's not any of that. It must be that we're totally irrational because of serious character flaws. That's much more likely.

For what it's worth, it IS our money that's being used to pay him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not true. The actual game day ticket sales are only little of the teams income. Most of the income comes from TV Revenue and Licensing/Merchandising. They also get Local Revenue which consists of Game Day sales but even that is only a part of local revenue as ticket sales from other stadium events count in that local revenue. Players and teams would be fine if fans didn’t “fill the stands”. Of course it wouldn’t look good, but it really wouldn’t be the end of the world if the stadium were only half full.
    At an average ticket price of $150 and an average stadium capacity of 70,000, gameday ticket sales would account for over $3 billion of the league's $8.1 billion in revenue, almost 40 percent. (note: this figures in the preseason games that are cheaper and draw lower in-person attendance, but the tickets are still sold as a mandatory part of season ticket packages. Even assuming zero revenue from preseason, ticket sales would still be $2.8 billion.) It is hardly a small part of the teams' income, it is closer to 35-40%.

Where do you think the money for TV contracts comes from? Where does the money from licensing and merchandising come from? Out of thin air? Or from things that are ultimately paid for by fans?
    See you Space Cowboy ...