Thread: Mike Hilton vs Cam Sutton

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Mike Hilton vs Cam Sutton

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ation-steelers

I would love to be able to keep both slot CBs but the reality is most likely one of these guys will win a contract this season and the other will be moving on in FA next offseason. This article tells some interesting things about both guys and their distinctly different niche on the defense. It would be interesting to find a slot CB that has the qualities of both.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/2019/09/what-drives-the-difference-between-mike-hilton-cameron-sutton-in-the-steelers-nickel-packages.html

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Mike Hilton vs Cam Sutton

I love Mile Hilton. LOVE him!!! He’s underappreciated. He will get a huge contract from another team... and that is that.

Coming out of the 2017 draft, Cam Sutton was my favorite pick. I felt that he was the “steal” of that draft (former R1 talent that dropped due to playing through an ankle injury). Currently, I think that he’s just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. If/when Haden leaves (moves to FS), Sutton will take over as our starting CB (or, at worst, he’s our version of Chris Harris, Jr.: the best slot corner in the league).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I would like to see Sutton stay at slot with the ability to play outside/safety depth(Hilton can play Safety depth but at 5'9" he better suited to the box). Nelson and Layne become lockdown CBs on the outside, and Minkah continues to be Minkah.

I think if it comes down to an either/or the Steelers will keep Sutton over Hilton.

Tangent question...how does it play out for Haden if Minkah does continue last season's production or better? If Layne starts playing at a high level this may be Haden's last contract as a Steeler even if he does move to FS, I'm thinking.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I would like to see Sutton stay at slot with the ability to play outside/safety depth(Hilton can play Safety depth but at 5'9" he better suited to the box). Nelson and Layne become lockdown CBs on the outside, and Minkah continues to be Minkah.

I think if it comes down to an either/or the Steelers will keep Sutton over Hilton.

Tangent question...how does it play out for Haden if Minkah does continue last season's production or better? If Layne starts playing at a high level this may be Haden's last contract as a Steeler even if he does move to FS, I'm thinking.
    At this point, there isn't much Haden can do to displace Minkah. If Haden has to move to safety; he would have to push Edmunds to the bench rather than Minkah.

I figure, once Haden can't play corner, he is out as a Steeler.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I love Mile Hilton. LOVE him!!! He’s underappreciated. He will get a huge contract from another team... and that is that.

Coming out of the 2017 draft, Cam Sutton was my favorite pick. I felt that he was the “steal” of that draft (former R1 talent that dropped due to playing through an ankle injury). Currently, I think that he’s just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. If/when Haden leaves (moves to FS), Sutton will take over as our starting CB (or, at worst, he’s our version of Chris Harris, Jr.: the best slot corner in the league).
    This. Hilton wanted a new deal last year and the Steelers just went with the one year $645k, not offereing a long term deal. This year its the exclusive rights one year deal like Feiler signed and nothing longer term. If I was Mike Hilton and wanted a new deal for 2 seasons and the team just gave me the minimum entitled to keep me on the team for 2 seasons, I would take the best financial deal when a free agent and that is likely somebody other than the Steelers.

Sutton has better cover skills in the slot, Hilton the better tackler and blitzer. I too expect Hilton to leave and Sutton to be offered a deal to stay.

I also expect Feiler to leave in FA and Kevin Dotson take the LG spot in 2021. And before anybody gets all "sign Feiler to a deal and play RT"...the RT spot in 2021 should be any of a number of guys from Banner, Okorafor, Derwin Gray, Jarron Jones.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Hilton is an absolute savage. Ill take him over Sutton everyday of the week but hes as good as gone, someone will definitely pay up for him and get their money's worth
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Unfortunately, that is the only likely outcome, and there is not a lot we can do about it. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    At this point, there isn't much Haden can do to displace Minkah. If Haden has to move to safety; he would have to push Edmunds to the bench rather than Minkah.

I figure, once Haden can't play corner, he is out as a Steeler.
    Edmunds is going to be a free agent too around the same time (end of 2021). We have a big decision to make with his fifth-year option before next season. It's "only" $8.25M, but is he worth it? What are our plans for him? I suspect we'll keep him around for an extended a jury-is-still-out trial period, but I don't know. We'd probably only get 2 or 3 years max out of Haden at safety, compared to 5 or 10 from Edmunds ... but will it be a good 5 or 10 years, or will we lock ourselves into mediocrity, or a sucker contract? That one may be the most muddled personnel decision on the defensive side of the ball.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Edmunds has two seasons to either improve or be replaced. The worst-case will be for him to stagnate and force them to “waste” a fifth-year option on him. Fortunately, he improved in each of the past two seasons, which gives me hope that he’ll be a rock-solid player (albeit nowhere near anything as good as Lake, let alone like Polamalu).

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Edmunds has two seasons to either improve or be replaced. The worst-case will be for him to stagnate and force them to “waste” a fifth-year option on him. Fortunately, he improved in each of the past two seasons, which gives me hope that he’ll be a rock-solid player (albeit nowhere near anything as good as Lake, let alone like Polamalu).
    He has played all right - but will he be the kind of guy that it really helps you to re-sign? Who knows. So far he is right down the middle; I have nothing against him, but am not super impressed either. I guess it won't be the end of the world either way, unless we get ourselves into a stupid situation where we give a him a huge contract only because we have no depth.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I’m gonna go out on my optimistic limb and predict a significant jump for Edmunds next year. He’s my new Dupree, for a couple of reasons. I think, much like Dupree he’s physically gifted but didn’t enter the NFL with a TJ and Minka-like football IQ. But as Dupree got his TJ, Edmunds got his Minkah. Now going into that second season with Minkah, Edmunds will make that mental jump and “get it” this year.

The thing that I don’t doubt is Edmunds’s work ethic. He works really hard and wants to be great. When you have the physical tools to go along with that work ethic, all you need is time and an excellent teacher/partner. Minkah might very well be the smartest safety in the NFL. Nick Saban said he had the highest football IQ of ANYONE he ever coached... EVER. Just think about that.

I just watched an interview where Minkah breaks down game film, and he talked about how he and Edmunds communicate. They are always talking about how to disguise coverages... pre snap and on the sidelines. Minkah often talks about how much he loves playing for this defense, and how great their communication is. I’ve heard Joe Haden say the same thing. These guys love learning, communicating, and improving with each other.

Edmunds is really in the best possible position to reach his potential.

I turned out to be right a about Dupree, so hopefully my optimism isn’t misplaced here. But I think my reasoning is sound.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I’m gonna go out on my optimistic limb and predict a significant jump for Edmunds next year. He’s my new Dupree, for a couple of reasons. I think, much like Dupree he’s physically gifted but didn’t enter the NFL with a TJ and Minka-like football IQ. But as Dupree got his TJ, Edmunds got his Minkah. Now going into that second season with Minkah, Edmunds will make that mental jump and “get it” this year.

The thing that I don’t doubt is Edmunds’s work ethic. He works really hard and wants to be great. When you have the physical tools to go along with that work ethic, all you need is time and an excellent teacher/partner. Minkah might very well be the smartest safety in the NFL. Nick Saban said he had the highest football IQ of ANYONE he ever coached... EVER. Just think about that.

I just watched an interview where Minkah breaks down game film, and he talked about how he and Edmunds communicate. They are always talking about how to disguise coverages... pre snap and on the sidelines. Minkah often talks about how much he loves playing for this defense, and how great their communication is. I’ve heard Joe Haden say the same thing. These guys love learning, communicating, and improving with each other.

I turned out to be right a about Dupree, so hopefully my optimism isn’t misplaced here. But I think my reasoning is sound.
    Can't really argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

Damn! I'm on the bandwagon now.