Thread: ARTICLEPFF Ranks Steelers’ Roster 10th In NFL, Cites Terrell Edmunds As Biggest Weakness

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

ARTICLEPFF Ranks Steelers’ Roster 10th In NFL, Cites Terrell Edmunds As Biggest Weakness

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/06/pf...gest-weakness/

About how I see it, though I disagree that Edmunds will become a solid starter.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: ARTICLEPFF Ranks Steelers’ Roster 10th In NFL, Cites Terrell Edmunds As Biggest Weakness

Edmunds is ok. I think he is one of those players who, if the other players around him are good, will play up to their level somewhat - but if the other players are average or below-average, he gets worse and even becomes a weak link that drags the unit down more. With Nelson, Haden, and Fitzpatrick still in place, he should be fine.

I would be much more concerned about our defensive line, especially from a depth standpoint. Hayward or Tuitt takes one wrong step, and we're down to one lineman who can do anything.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: ARTICLEPFF Ranks Steelers’ Roster 10th In NFL, Cites Terrell Edmunds As Biggest Weakness

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

I would be much more concerned about our defensive line, especially from a depth standpoint. Hayward or Tuitt takes one wrong step, and we're down to one lineman who can do anything.
    Wormley is a good 3-4 DE and I think the first guy off the bench in rotation. Alualu is getting older, but still solid 5 technique as well and I think Buggs will progress in his 2nd year. Its DE heavy group, so that NT depth isnt great IMO and there is the potential to not be able to secure the A gaps.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I keep forgetting about Buggs. I hope he can emerge as a solid rotational player at least. Alualu was good last season, but it may have been a career year for him, at least as a Steeler. I hope he can keep it up, but the whole thing just has a feel like we are crossing our fingers and trying to get by on a shoestring. The setup reminds me a lot of 2015, I think it was, where we basically played a 2-4-5 all year with Heyward and Tuitt backed up by McLendon, Dirty Dick, and Walton. Every time either Heyward or Tuitt had to come off the field even briefly, the run defense fell apart and the pass rush fell apart, and we just let them march straight down the field. I guess Alualu is a better first guy off the bench, and the rest of the defense is sturdier, but still not a good situation to be in.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I keep forgetting about Buggs. I hope he can emerge as a solid rotational player at least. Alualu was good last season, but it may have been a career year for him, at least as a Steeler. I hope he can keep it up, but the whole thing just has a feel like we are crossing our fingers and trying to get by on a shoestring. The setup reminds me a lot of 2015, I think it was, where we basically played a 2-4-5 all year with Heyward and Tuitt backed up by McLendon, Dirty Dick, and Walton. Every time either Heyward or Tuitt had to come off the field even briefly, the run defense fell apart and the pass rush fell apart, and we just let them march straight down the field. I guess Alualu is a better first guy off the bench, and the rest of the defense is sturdier, but still not a good situation to be in.
    That's not unreasonable. I think if Buggs can play at the high end of Mclendon or Alualu; it looks better. But no real way to tell until games start.