Thread: Talking QBs

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Talking QBs

This is Ben's team until he decides to hang 'em up, IMO. What I don't want to see is a QB the caliber of 2019 Mason Rudolph or Duck Hodges as the heir apparent to the position. Discussing the elite of the 2021 draft crop, who are the favorites to drop into the Steelers lap (at pick 32)?

I'm going to throw out Tanner Morgan, Minnesota as my favorite entering the 2020 season. IMO, the most accurate, heady, NFL ready of the class.

Bring names of QBs to keep an eye on this college football season.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Talking QBs

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This is Ben's team until he decides to hang 'em up, IMO. What I don't want to see is a QB the caliber of 2019 Mason Rudolph or Duck Hodges as the heir apparent to the position. Discussing the elite of the 2021 draft crop, who are the favorites to drop into the Steelers lap (at pick 32)?

I'm going to throw out Tanner Morgan, Minnesota as my favorite entering the 2020 season. IMO, the most accurate, heady, NFL ready of the class.

Bring names of QBs to keep an eye on this college football season.

Bolded part from your comment says it all.
    Even though 'other' teams do it you're not drafting a rd 1 QB until Ben is gone.
    You draft other priorities like a potential CB as Haden is aging mind you playing amazing but that's a need.
    Maybe another OLB if Dupree leaves (I personally wouldn't extend him)
    maybe a safety? Does anyone think Edmunds is the 'guy'? I'm not sure myself.

You can always 'fluke' it like the Pats did with Brady in RD 6, or both the Cowboys & Seahawks with 3rd rounders in Wilson & Dak.
    Yes, I'm well aware Mason is a 3rd rounder but he's terrible. He's no more than a back up but even that is a push as he was just that bad.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Sam Howell. Remember the name. Very impressive as a freshman on a team that wasn't loaded.

I'll give you a great what if. What if the season is canceled? Well the draft would have to be a lottery, and we just might get lucky enough to pick the golden boy from Clemson ( Lawerence ) , or Fields.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    Bolded part from your comment says it all.
    Even though 'other' teams do it you're not drafting a rd 1 QB until Ben is gone.
    You draft other priorities like a potential CB as Haden is aging mind you playing amazing but that's a need.
    Maybe another OLB if Dupree leaves (I personally wouldn't extend him)
    maybe a safety? Does anyone think Edmunds is the 'guy'? I'm not sure myself.

You can always 'fluke' it like the Pats did with Brady in RD 6, or both the Cowboys & Seahawks with 3rd rounders in Wilson & Dak.
    Yes, I'm well aware Mason is a 3rd rounder but he's terrible. He's no more than a back up but even that is a push as he was just that bad.
    We agree that this is Ben's team. At what point though do you start looking at legitimate backups to become the future starter? There is another thread very similar to this one but I couldn't find it so I started this new one. In that thread I posted I thought a veteran QB should be brought in to replace the backups, someone of the Fitzmagic/Foles level. Not necessarily to be a replacement for Ben but should the need arise again we have an actual NFL QB to step in. The draft is how to successfully build a team long term but it's still a crapshoot. Continue to draft QBs each year until we strike gold again, whether that is a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round selection doesn't make much difference to me.

Just how I see the current roster, Duck is actually the 'best' football player of the backups, just lacks the physical tools to fully compete at the NFL level. Mason and Lynch have all the tools to be very good but were running spread read option pistol/shotgun offenses that limited their development as a college QB, Mason moreso than Lynch since Fuente did allow Lynch to option out of called plays and make changes at the line. But for the most part these guys watched 1-2 defenders and the play went according to those defender's reaction at the snap. But if the 'neck up' ever catches up with the 'neck down' ability of either backup they could become viable starters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Sam Howell. Remember the name. Very impressive as a freshman on a team that wasn't loaded.

I'll give you a great what if. What if the season is canceled? Well the draft would have to be a lottery, and we just might get lucky enough to pick the golden boy from Clemson ( Lawerence ) , or Fields.
    Let's keep Howell on the watch list. See how he develops at UNC. It's a very similar system as what I was talking about with Mason and Lynch.

A top 5 lottery pick coming off a Super Bowl Championship season would be the cherry on top!(I know what you are saying)

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

We agree that this is Ben's team. At what point though do you start looking at legitimate backups to become the future starter? There is another thread very similar to this one but I couldn't find it so I started this new one. In that thread I posted I thought a veteran QB should be brought in to replace the backups, someone of the Fitzmagic/Foles level. Not necessarily to be a replacement for Ben but should the need arise again we have an actual NFL QB to step in. The draft is how to successfully build a team long term but it's still a crapshoot. Continue to draft QBs each year until we strike gold again, whether that is a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round selection doesn't make much difference to me.

Just how I see the current roster, Duck is actually the 'best' football player of the backups, just lacks the physical tools to fully compete at the NFL level. Mason and Lynch have all the tools to be very good but were running spread read option pistol/shotgun offenses that limited their development as a college QB, Mason moreso than Lynch since Fuente did allow Lynch to option out of called plays and make changes at the line. But for the most part these guys watched 1-2 defenders and the play went according to those defender's reaction at the snap. But if the 'neck up' ever catches up with the 'neck down' ability of either backup they could become viable starters.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's keep Howell on the watch list. See how he develops at UNC. It's a very similar system as what I was talking about with Mason and Lynch.

A top 5 lottery pick coming off a Super Bowl Championship season would be the cherry on top!(I know what you are saying)
    Howell's team almost beat Clemson, losing 20-21. In the game where his OL wasn't doing the job, he had 2 TD passes 0 Int. He has never had less than 2 TD's passes in any of his games as a freshman. He did this as a freshman at age 18-19 with a late birthday.

Built like a full back, this kid can run. As a passing QB, he's accurate with a strong arm. His arm is easily better than Rudolph, + more athletic / faster.

There's a lot to like. I think he's a future first round pick.

Senior Member Array title="Steelermania is a jewel in the rough">

I think a few things are at work here. Barring injury, Ben will be here 2 more years. As such, you're looking at two things here; can Mason take a step forward, to make you think that he can at least give you a Neil O'Donnell level of play, or can Lynch harness his physical tools (which are far beyond Mason's), take the number 2 spot away from Rudolph, and establish himself as the heir apparent. If the first thing happens, you can go with Rudolph when Ben retires, but you'll need to bring in a high draft pick to sit behind him and hopefully push, and maybe eventually dethrone him. If the second somehow happens, you may be home free. If by the end of this season it's apparent that neither is going to get it done, you look to draft a qb as high as you can (hopefully it's a deep class).

Quote Originally Posted by Steelermania View Post
    I think a few things are at work here. Barring injury, Ben will be here 2 more years. As such, you're looking at two things here; can Mason take a step forward, to make you think that he can at least give you a Neil O'Donnell level of play, or can Lynch harness his physical tools (which are far beyond Mason's), take the number 2 spot away from Rudolph, and establish himself as the heir apparent. If the first thing happens, you can go with Rudolph when Ben retires, but you'll need to bring in a high draft pick to sit behind him and hopefully push, and maybe eventually dethrone him. If the second somehow happens, you may be home free. If by the end of this season it's apparent that neither is going to get it done, you look to draft a qb as high as you can (hopefully it's a deep class).
    It is supposed to be a deep QB class.

Member Array title="jens.karlsson.14 is an unknown quantity at this point">

For some reason I believe in Lynch.. I think he can blossom, don't know why I believe that, just like his highlight reels.
    Can someone with better knowledge tell us more:
    What are the cons?
    What are his biggest flaws?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jens.karlsson.14 View Post
    For some reason I believe in Lynch.. I think he can blossom, don't know why I believe that, just like his highlight reels.
    Can someone with better knowledge tell us more:
    What are the cons?
    What are his biggest flaws?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Lynch has all the physical tools. He and Rudolph are a lot alike in that respect. I see better pocket awareness with Lynch and much better mobility. Both need to learn to read through progressions faster and become better at making the right decision with the ball. A lot to like with both backups. Cons include football IQ just not up to NFL level yet. Takes learning in a consistent system plus the 'want-to' to learn the game. Lynch became the 1st backup at Denver and even started a few games. Lost that post due to injury. Another injury put him out at Seattle as Wilson's backup last preseason. Should be a great battle between Lynch and Rudolph moving forward, should there be football at all.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Lynch has the best tools on the roster aside from Roethlisberger. BUT...his feel for the game and mental portion are pretty bad:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/08/1...-lynch-denver/

There are other reports saying similar versions of the same thing. There are ones that are far more glowing. The guy has every single raw physical trait (and then some) to be super successful. It appears that he is a bit of a mental midget with a potential lazy streak as well. At least that is how Denver has been desperately trying to spin things since they let him go.

I think it will likely never happen, but Lynch is one of the guys that gets hurt the most by the lack of a real 2020 off-season. I honestly believe that in a non-pandemic reality; Lynch might have usurped Rudolph for the #2 job. Colbert's comments all spring and summer have certainly lent credence to that belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Lynch has the best tools on the roster aside from Roethlisberger. BUT...his feel for the game and mental portion are pretty bad:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/08/1...-lynch-denver/

There are other reports saying similar versions of the same thing. There are ones that are far more glowing. The guy has every single raw physical trait (and then some) to be super successful. It appears that he is a bit of a mental midget with a potential lazy streak as well. At least that is how Denver has been desperately trying to spin things since they let him go.

I think it will likely never happen, but Lynch is one of the guys that gets hurt the most by the lack of a real 2020 off-season. I honestly believe that in a non-pandemic reality; Lynch might have usurped Rudolph for the #2 job. Colbert's comments all spring and summer have certainly lent credence to that belief.
    Pretty good film breakdown in that article. It's all from one game that was the season opener for either Lynch's Sophomore or Junior year. But it shows his ability vs decision making fairly well. Again, I think that can be cleaned up with being in a stable system and willingness to learn the game.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Pretty good film breakdown in that article. It's all from one game that was the season opener for either Lynch's Sophomore or Junior year. But it shows his ability vs decision making fairly well. Again, I think that can be cleaned up with being in a stable system and willingness to learn the game.
    highlights show a strong arm with accuracy and mobility, he seems like an ideal backup to Ben, however, i have also heard that his work ethic and desire to play are questionable, that's probably why he is where he is today. If his attitude changed...watch out

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

What about Dak Prescott in 2022?!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    What about Dak Prescott in 2022?!

I think every QB name out there gets linked to the Steelers right now.

I think every QB name out there gets linked to the Steelers right now.
    Haha,so true!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

It is supposed to be a deep QB class.
    Better that this past year I think, but not really that impressive IMO. Lawrence and Fields will be the top 2. Sure, lots of people going to talk up Ehlinger, Purdy, Morgan. The Trey Lance hype train from North Dakota will gain some steam but I dont know if any of the guys other than Lawrence, Fields and Jamie Newman from Georgia will be worth a 1st round grade.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Better that this past year I think, but not really that impressive IMO. Lawrence and Fields will be the top 2. Sure, lots of people going to talk up Ehlinger, Purdy, Morgan. The Trey Lance hype train from North Dakota will gain some steam but I dont know if any of the guys other than Lawrence, Fields and Jamie Newman from Georgia will be worth a 1st round grade.
    It is going to be crazy this draft season. It is growing increasingly likely that no one will get any more game tape on any of these prospects. Going to be a wild ride when/if that happens. Guys are going to get hyped based on like 10 starts.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No tape and no workouts. Not to mention any free agents teams may want to sign THIS season...so many questions that can’t be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    No tape and no workouts. Not to mention any free agents teams may want to sign THIS season...so many questions that can’t be answered.
    Good point. Also, the cap will almost certainly go down. Lost TV money as well. My guess is that we will really start to see "smart" franchises separate from "dumb" franchises.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

From about 1997 until 2004, every “Name McQuarterback to the Steelers” rumor out there was discussed ad nauseum.

I remember hearing about Tony Romo coming to the Steelers for a R6 pick... Marc Bulger for a R2 pick... and how Chad Pennington was a “lock” to be a Steeler.

SUMMATION:
    Dak for our 2022 R1 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    From about 1997 until 2004, every “Name McQuarterback to the Steelers” rumor out there was discussed ad nauseum.

I remember hearing about Tony Romo coming to the Steelers for a R6 pick... Marc Bulger for a R2 pick... and how Chad Pennington was a “lock” to be a Steeler.

SUMMATION:
    First round? Naa, but . . .

SUMMATION:
    I do remember being a bit hopeful that Dak was the actual pick instead of Hawkins in 2016. I think you were too....I mean I get and see the logic of the Hawkins pick...

I do remember being a bit hopeful that Dak was the actual pick instead of Hawkins in 2016. I think you were too....I mean I get and see the logic of the Hawkins pick...
    If the steelers would have drafted Dak in 2016, he would hardly have the chance to play in his first 3 years (1 start vs Patriots(2016) and the Browns in week 17 in 2016 and 2017) and so we don't know if the steelers would have still drafted Rudolph in 2018 but it is possible since the steelers would have had very little information on Prescott at this time.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Indeed I liked Dak, and felt R4 was a good place to take him. I get the logic of taking an O-lineman (since Ben wasn’t slowing down/you need to protect your franchise QB). And, I get that Dak might still be sitting (i.e. it could be seen as a waste of a pick).

But, I’d rather have “too many good QBs” than not enough.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Howell's team almost beat Clemson, losing 20-21.
    maybe I am just an ass , BUT .......

I have always for whatever reason placed a lot of value on how ones types or speaks of a score ....

for me placing the lower score in team sports first is a sign of lack of knowledge ...

the winning or highest score ALWAYS is the first to be typed or spoken OU lost last night to Memphis 21-20 or OU with a late rally defeated Memphis 21-20 it is NEVER .... OU Lost 20-21 or Memphis won 20-21 or anything like that it looks and sounds stupid ...

just my 2 cents ...

- - - Updated - - -

But, I’d rather have “too many good QBs” than not enough.
    3 things you never have to much of ....

money
    bullets
    good football players , specifically QB's
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    maybe I am just an ass , BUT .......

I have always for whatever reason placed a lot of value on how ones types or speaks of a score ....

for me placing the lower score in team sports first is a sign of lack of knowledge ...

the winning or highest score ALWAYS is the first to be typed or spoken OU lost last night to Memphis 21-20 or OU with a late rally defeated Memphis 21-20 it is NEVER .... OU Lost 20-21 or Memphis won 20-21 or anything like that it looks and sounds stupid ...

just my 2 cents ...

- - - Updated - - -

In this instance, I think we need to take the source into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Of course you can have your own opinion, but the 2021 QB class looks very talented. I’m not into comparing class to class so to my way of doing it the 2020 class is not decided yet. It may prove out to be the better class. However, the 2021 preseason class evaluation looks like a deep QB class. I don’t think we can sniff a top5 pick so probably no Lawrence or Fields in the Steelers’ immediate future. But as I said before I think Morgan at Minnesota is worth a 1st round look. Depending on how things develop of course, the Steelers may not even look at a QB with a healthy Ben and Rudolph and Lynch improving as backups. Not really worth a debate at this point.