Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banner Looks the Part of Starting RT

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Banner Looks the Part of Starting RT

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/06/za...ransformation/

Couple that with this pre-draft report: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archi...ack.Banner.htm

And it really looks like, on paper so to speak, that Banner is more than capable of playing RT at good level.

Tomlin also said Feiler is the first option at LG once camp starts. So despite the months of nonsense out of "Steelers insiders"; most of us were right in our assumption that the plan is (this is from left to right) AV/Feiler/Pouncey/Decastro/Banner.

That doesn't really scare me the way some have told me it should. It looks like a pretty good line. Of course, we will have to wait and see once/if they start playing games...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Banner Looks the Part of Starting RT

This doesn't look like a bad line on paper. The big question is whether they will come together more like under Munchak, or fall apart like under other coaches. Obviously I don't expect it to be Munchak-level coordination and improvement, but if they even go in that direction, they will be pretty good.

Of course, we've all seen what happens when that extra something is not there - we can have five individually good players who make up one of the worst lines in the league.

This group could be anywhere from best in the league to dead last, I have no idea, so hope for the former.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I actually hope Okorafor gets the starting RT position. He needs some game experience before the Steelers try and depend on him playing the LT spot in a couple years, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I actually hope Okorafor gets the starting RT position. He needs some game experience before the Steelers try and depend on him playing the LT spot in a couple years, IMO.
    That is not a bad idea. Honestly, I don't care who does it, but if one of Banner and Chuks can just play RT at like a "late career Flozell Adams on the Steelers level" then things should be fine for 2020.

2021 is where it starts to get dicey. I could realistically see a new LT (Chuks), LG (Dotson), and C (Draft Pick) all debuting that year.

Which, I am guessing, is precisely your point.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That is not a bad idea. Honestly, I don't care who does it, but if one of Banner and Chuks can just play RT at like a "late career Flozell Adams on the Steelers level" then things should be fine for 2020.

2021 is where it starts to get dicey. I could realistically see a new LT (Chuks), LG (Dotson), and C (Draft Pick) all debuting that year.

Which, I am guessing, is precisely your point.
    Yes, I think Okorafor needs some game experience and I would hope he distinguishes himself and gets the RT spot if there is a season. Banner can be the swing OT and resume his role as the 6th O lineman in Heavy run packages. Banner I think is good enough to play RT, but not athletic enough to play LT. If he doesnt get the starting RT job, then the Steelers might sign him to a reasonable contract extension beyond 2020 without much competition from other teams.

I think you are correct in the Dotson may be seen as the heir to the LG spot, but he will have to show progress in camp. Even if he falters, Wisniewski is signed for 2021 as well, but I think Dotson should adapt fine. Dotson started 52 games in college, was voted all American his senior year and was all Sun Belt all his previous seasons as well. I think they got a good mauler at guard in the 4th.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/06/za...ransformation/

Couple that with this pre-draft report: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archi...ack.Banner.htm

And it really looks like, on paper so to speak, that Banner is more than capable of playing RT at good level.

Tomlin also said Feiler is the first option at LG once camp starts. So despite the months of nonsense out of "Steelers insiders"; most of us were right in our assumption that the plan is (this is from left to right) AV/Feiler/Pouncey/Decastro/Banner.

That doesn't really scare me the way some have told me it should. It looks like a pretty good line. Of course, we will have to wait and see once/if they start playing games...
    Okay, so a guy who started a grand total of one NFL game and is less agile than any other starting tackle in NFL ( in my opinion and backed up by a slug like shuttle time 5.21 and cone time 8.31 at the combine ) doesn't scare you?

The Steelers can experiment with this, I say it's a pipe dream, and once exposed by pass rushers, they will go to another player to fill the right tackle.

This is a guy who was cut by the Colts, Browns and Panthers. Our savior? Really? He's a nice 3rd tackle /TE on running downs. Banner who I liked as a role player needs to watch his weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Okay, so a guy who started a grand total of one NFL game and is less agile than any other starting tackle in NFL ( in my opinion and backed up by a slug like shuttle time 5.21 and cone time 8.31 at the combine ) doesn't scare you?

The Steelers can experiment with this, I say it's a pipe dream, and once exposed by pass rushers, they will go to another player to fill the right tackle.

This is a guy who was cut by the Colts, Browns and Panthers. Our savior? Really? He's a nice 3rd tackle /TE on running downs. Banner who I liked as a role player needs to watch his weight.
    Well since he's likely close to a 100 pounds lighter and totally transformed his body, I bet those combine #s aren't super relevant.

But, you keep doing you. Never hide your special brand of special.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Banner's size makes him tougher vs bull rushes but more susceptible to speed rushes. I like Chuks chances better to win the RT spot. At the LT position, AV may be 31yrs old but he's only started 4 seasons. The mileage is much lower than for other 31yr old NFL Tackles. With Pouncey at 30 and 10 seasons as the starting Center, his replacement is of more immediate concern, IMO.

Well since he's likely close to a 100 pounds lighter and totally transformed his body, I bet those combine #s aren't super relevant.

But, you keep doing you. Never hide your special brand of special.
    LOL, don't be a fool Mojouw, if he lost 100 pounds from the combine he'd be down from 360 to 260. 260 = way too light play tackle in the NFL these days. Dude, you're clueless wonder. Until then he was cut by the Browns.

LOL, don't be a fool Mojouw, if he lost 100 pounds from the combine he'd be down from 360 to 260. 260 = way too light play tackle in the NFL these days. Dude, you're clueless wonder. Until then he was cut by the Browns.
    Fine my day drinking math was off. By his own admission Banner was over 400 his first bit in the NFL and wasn't in shape. Now he is. Who knows what will happen when he straps it up this season.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Perhaps this is you who is clueless since you should know that the weight of the players who is marked is very rarely the real weight, especially for the olineman and the nose tackle.

Use your eyes then he's a huge man. He'll never have the feet to play tackle well in the NFL.

Use your eyes then he's a huge man. He'll never have the feet to play tackle well in the NFL.
    maybe,maybe not...We will see.

If anybody actually bothered to watch the preseason games last year, they would have seen Banner having a good preseason in the run game and pass protection. He used that 6'8" frame and 35" long arms to make rushers take a wide path to try and get to the QB, while his surprising quick feet were on display on reach blocks and combination blocks getting to the 2nd level on LB's. Below are a few plays in the run game in 6 lineman set and he does a good job on the 2nd level. I think RT is his spot in the league, but still hope Okorafor gets some starting snaps as he needs the experience.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Twitter battles between Zach Banner and Duck Hodges are worth the price of admission.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Twitter battles between Zach Banner and Duck Hodges are worth the price of admission.
    They are entertaining.

Also,Zach B is the best prepared Victory Formation OT/ Tackle Eligible I've ever seen.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

If anybody actually bothered to watch the preseason games last year, they would have seen Banner having a good preseason in the run game and pass protection. He used that 6'8" frame and 35" long arms to make rushers take a wide path to try and get to the QB, while his surprising quick feet were on display on reach blocks and combination blocks getting to the 2nd level on LB's. Below are a few plays in the run game in 6 lineman set and he does a good job on the 2nd level. I think RT is his spot in the league, but still hope Okorafor gets some starting snaps as he needs the experience.

Why watch real football and evaluate when you can punch up numbers on your computer and announce your true genius?

Last edited by pczach; 06-30-2020 at 07:34 AM.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Why watch real football and evaluate when you can punch up numbers on your computer and announce your true genius?

Why even punch numbers? I can cut and paste from other forums and Twitter and Facebook and the entire internets!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Why even punch numbers? I can cut and paste from other forums and Twitter and Facebook and the entire internets!

Touche!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Perhaps this is you who is clueless since you should know that the weight of the players who is marked is very rarely the real weight, especially for the olineman and the nose tackle.
    Usually the really heavy players are listed at a lower weight. Duh.

Usually the really heavy players are listed at a lower weight. Duh.
    This is what that I wanted to said....

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Banner's size makes him tougher vs bull rushes but more susceptible to speed rushes. I like Chuks chances better to win the RT spot. At the LT position, AV may be 31yrs old but he's only started 4 seasons. The mileage is much lower than for other 31yr old NFL Tackles. With Pouncey at 30 and 10 seasons as the starting Center, his replacement is of more immediate concern, IMO.
    I like Chucks better as a pass blocker, Banner better as a run blocker. Maybe it's time to shuttle in lineman based on the play call? 3rd down and long, put the better pass blocker in there.

I think Chucks was without a hat for the 2nd half of the season. He wasn't close to beating out Feiler.

IMO Feiler should stay at Right Tackle. The loss of Munchak as a coach really hurt this unit

Munchak loss would've never have been a positive. But the biggest problem for the 2019 offensive like was QB play. If you watch the sacks again, far too many are an OL pushing a pass rusher to where they thought was safe, only to find Rudolph or Hodges had inexplicably wandered over to some random patch of grass. For the run blocking; it's just hard to look good against NFL defenses when they know what's coming.

I like Chucks better as a pass blocker, Banner better as a run blocker. Maybe it's time to shuttle in lineman based on the play call? 3rd down and long, put the better pass blocker in there.

I think Chucks was without a hat for the 2nd half of the season. He wasn't close to beating out Feiler.

IMO Feiler should stay at Right Tackle. The loss of Munchak as a coach really hurt this unit
    Rotating in a RT based upon the play call would be a huge pre snap tip off to the defense of what the play is. Not going to happen.

Matt Feiler is a better guard than OT. Could see that in preseason a few years ago. Feiler often could not handle speed rushers, even when Ben was the QB, but the only thing that prevented pressures and sacks was Ben getting the ball out of his hands quickly on the pass rush front side.

Steelers are better off with Feiler at LG and he will likely go the way of Chris Hubbard into free agency in 2021, when Dotson will take over at LG.

Report: Steelers Name Zach Banner Starting Right Tackle

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...banner-starter

Report: Steelers Name Zach Banner Starting Right Tackle

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...banner-starter
    3 positions w/new starters on the o-line now that DeCastro is out for the Giants game.

Feiler at LG
    Wis at RG
    Banner at RT

Chukks is the swing tackle

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    3 positions w/new starters on the o-line now that DeCastro is out for the Giants game.

Feiler at LG
    Wis at RG
    Banner at RT

Chukks is the swing tackle
    I am good with all that. I have always said that Feiler is better suited to Guard and think he will be an upgrade over Foster, who didnt have a good year last year, IMO. Wisneiwski is a downgrade from DeCastro, but still a veteran and I think Banner is a better RT than Feiler. Banner and the size, arm length and decent feet should be a difficult guy to beat in the pass game, while his run blocking is very good IMO.

I hope Okorafor is still developing well, as he will be needed at LT in a year or 2 I think. Otherwise Steelers will have to extend AV or prioritize at LT in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Mike Tomlin disagrees with you ... don't mind me while I side with the man who has eyes on him on a daily basis going up against TJ and Cam and Bud in 1 on 1's ..... I will defer to his eyes on this one ..

as a side note .. I have known Mojouw on message boards predating this one by more than 10 years and while we often do not agree on many topics he is far from clueless ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now