Thread: Heyward prepping for potential last season with Steelers

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Heyward prepping for potential last season with Steelers

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...ronavirus-fdl/

DK is a paid website so I am not sure if you can read the article.

But the title speaks for itself.

Heyward is entering the final season of a six-year, $59.25-million contract extension he signed in 2015. That came before the now 31-year-old Heyward had earned his first All-Pro or Pro Bowl honors.

Now, he's a three-time Pro Bowl player and has been named first-team All-Pro twice, becoming the only Steelers interior defensive lineman not named Joe Greene to do so. He's also become one of the unquestioned leaders in the team's locker room.

According to Spotrac, Heyward's market value on a new deal would put him in the $16-million range per season. It's a big price tag, but one he's earned.

At issue for both Heyward, the Steelers and the rest of the league is the coronavirus outbreak and how it might affect future revenues.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Heyward prepping for potential last season with Steelers

They need to watch the salary cap for 2021. Both Heyward and Ben could be on the outs if the cap decreases...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I have been in the Bud Dupree corner for a while now. However, if it comes down to Dupree or Heyward, I hope the Steelers find a way to re-sign Cam. YES, I would love to see both back but, IMO, Cam has done more to earn his extension. Keeping in mind Mean Joe retired at 35 and Cam is 31 currently, I believe Cam has 1 more 3-5 year extension in him. Cam is truly the heart and soul of this defense.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I have been in the Bud Dupree corner for a while now. However, if it comes down to Dupree or Heyward, I hope the Steelers find a way to re-sign Cam. YES, I would love to see both back but, IMO, Cam has done more to earn his extension. Keeping in mind Mean Joe retired at 35 and Cam is 31 currently, I believe Cam has 1 more 3-5 year extension in him. Cam is truly the heart and soul of this defense.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I wouldn't have agreed with this a year ago but Heyward shocked me by getting EVEN BETTER in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They need to watch the salary cap for 2021. Both Heyward and Ben could be on the outs if the cap decreases...
    We're up against he cap right now. Ben and Heyward will not be easy to replace. And the OL, well I told you so...just wait. Age. Big Al, and Pouncey both of whom had down seasons will need to be replaced. And 2-3 years after the, DeCastro. Did I mention this could be Conner's last season too?

When you need a new QB, and the GM is going to have to hit on OL draft players, well that's a tough combination. A storm is coming in 2022.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    well I told you so
    Do chairs make you angry?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

We're up against he cap right now. Ben and Heyward will not be easy to replace. And the OL, well I told you so...just wait. Age. Big Al, and Pouncey both of whom had down seasons will need to be replaced. And 2-3 years after the, DeCastro. Did I mention this could be Conner's last season too?

When you need a new QB, and the GM is going to have to hit on OL draft players, well that's a tough combination. A storm is coming in 2022.
    It most likely is a decision on the defensive side of the ball(like the thread). It's Heyward/Dupree, Hilton/Sutton. I think Heyward and Sutton will get the new contracts. Dupree will probably get a huge payday from another team. And Hilton will sign elsewhere too. That's how I view it today anyway.

I see this continuing to be a Heyward/Tuitt front with a combination of backups/situational DL getting worked in.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

It most likely is a decision on the defensive side of the ball(like the thread). It's Heyward/Dupree, Hilton/Sutton. I think Heyward and Sutton will get the new contracts. Dupree will probably get a huge payday from another team. And Hilton will sign elsewhere too. That's how I view it today anyway.

I see this continuing to be a Heyward/Tuitt front with a combination of backups/situational DL getting worked in.
    Tuitt has a world of ability. He's just not healthy enough. As for Dupree, if he plays like he did last season, he's worth the tag amount. Key word if. I think Dupree will not be as good on another team. I'd rather pay Watt when his contract is up and try to trade or let Dupree walk. I can not see the Steelers having enough money to keep both of them long term.

Tuitt has a world of ability. He's just not healthy enough. As for Dupree, if he plays like he did last season, he's worth the tag amount. Key word if. I think Dupree will not be as good on another team. I'd rather pay Watt when his contract is up and try to trade or let Dupree walk. I can not see the Steelers having enough money to keep both of them long term.
    Half of Tuitt's games missed came last season. As for Dupree it was his play last season that earned him this season's tag. IF he plays up to or beyond last season's production he will win himself a big payday with another team. I think he has already played himself out of another Steelers contract. Watt, Heyward, Tuitt, and Dupree may be the most fearsome defensive front OLs face this season.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Do chairs make you angry?

I haven't been here in a while....but this is a great reminder of why I do!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

I haven't been here in a while....but this is a great reminder of why I do!
    I just saw this too. It was kind of a Worlidong post, but need those now and then.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I just saw this too. It was kind of a Worlidong post, but need those now and then.
    Jashon Worlididdy approves of this post.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

So much for this title

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I don't know about this one. Cam is great, but at his age his play will soon regress. A 4 year deal doesn't make sense to me. I would rather have franchised tagged him next season and tried to work out a deal with Bud.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

He's the best DE we've had since Aaron Smith, may be even better.