Thread: Captain Checkdown: The quarterbacks who most and least rely on checkdown passes(Mason Rudolph is second for the most)

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Captain Checkdown: The quarterbacks who most and least rely on checkdown passes(Mason Rudolph is second for the most)

Checkdown passes are not inherently bad — in many cases, they can be very useful. If nothing is open downfield and the pocket starts to collapse, checkdown passes allow a quarterback to turn a busted play into something positive.

The issues arise — and where the label “Captain Checkdown” begins to be thrown around as a pejorative — when quarterbacks start to lean too heavily into that easy way out, eschewing difficult passes into tight coverage in favor of taking the safe but toothless option.

Let's look at the quarterbacks who lean heavily on the checkdown in favor of plays that would have a far greater impact on moving the chains.
    To get a large enough sample size, we’re going to look at two years worth of PFF data.

read more

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-captain...eckdown-passes

Not a huge surprise that Rudolph is second.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Captain Checkdown: The quarterbacks who most and least rely on checkdown passes(Mason Rudolph is second for the most)

Might be a little unfair to Rudolph given the small sample size. Plus, young QB's usually have coaches in their ears yelling "don't lose the game for us." Of course, I guess veterans like Ben probably hear the same lecture. They are just confident enough to ignore it.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Captain Checkdown: The quarterbacks who most and least rely on checkdown passes(Mason Rudolph is second for the most)

I don't know what standard they are using to define a "checkdown," but no way is Rudolph's number 10.5%. I'd be amazed if the real number isn't at least 65-75%.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I would add that, among other things, Rudolph has to get the opportunity (and prove) he can play "with the reins off" before we will know if he has a chance of being a quality NFL starter(
    Last edited by oneforthetoe; 06-11-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't know what standard they are using to define a "checkdown," but no way is Rudolph's number 10.5%. I'd be amazed if the real number isn't at least 65-75%.
    A screen did not count for a checkdown!

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

I think the the game will slow down for Rudolph the more reps he gets . Just sayin .
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Naa, he threw quite a few crossing routes five or seven yards beyond the LoS. It's not much different than checkdown and possibly almost as easy a pass (have to account for coverage a bit more, but less distance and easier to lead the receiver when it's just left-right). Also, don't forget bubble-screens and regular screen passes as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    I would add that, among other things, Rudolph has to get the opportunity (and prove) he can play "with the reins off" before we will know if he has a chance of being a quality NFL starter(
    I think they tried that and that's what led to the INTs and poor play. However, as I said before, he looked better in the little bit of the last game in which he played. I'll be anxious to see him in camp this year.